Practice Reports | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

treeloving

Medalist
Wow, I never like Gracie skating but she looks really really good in this practice. If judge is fair , she should have a shot for podium.

desertskates

Medalist
All the US ladies seem to be really benefitting from their little jaunt to Austria. Great programs from Gracie and Polina, and I loved seeing a bit of the reworked S&D. I can't believe how well what appears to mostly be the R&J footwork fits in there!

desertskates

Medalist
All the US ladies seem to be really benefitting from their little jaunt to Austria. Great programs from Gracie and Polina, and I loved seeing a bit of the reworked S&D. I can't believe how well what appears to mostly be the R&J footwork fits in there!

I couldn't help but giggle to myself during the interview portion, it looks like Polina the crazy braider finally got her hands on Gracie's head, while Ashley keeps hers safely tucked away in that hat.

*didn't mean to quote myself, just clicking the wrong things...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Polina the crazy braider finally got her hands on Gracie's head...

Haven't watched the vid, but Gold has been quite the crazy braider :) herself going way back.
And I always have liked Gold's braids, which were much more interesting than her recent ballerina-like bun.

vegarin

On the Ice

They all look really fantastic. I'm excited for them. :clap: I also love watching the three girls together. Seems like such a sweet, fun group of friends together.

Mao and Yuna look to be on top form, once again. I'm totally relieved.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Wow Mao, Yuna! Yuna looks great as ever, but looks like Mao wants this to be a competition. That LP runthrough makes me really want to see her make history with the 8 triples.

Aszx5527

Spectator
It seems that the triple salchow is still giving her a hard time. She needs to fix that as it can mean the difference between Gold and Silver.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Not to be a sour ****, but I wouldn't count on anything from Mao's practice videos. You just don't know what to expect from her come the day of competition. Don't you remember how good she looked in the practice videos prior to the team event? She was reported landing triple axels 9 times out of 10 tries. She really looked great, and then... :slink:
Yes, but when Mao practices well she is at least not guaranteed to be a disaster. Anyway, when in the last 2 seasons have we seen her hit all 3 of the 3A, 3F-3Lo, and the 2A-3T in the same run-through?

katymay

Medalist
Not to be a sour ****, but I wouldn't count on anything from Mao's practice videos. You just don't know what to expect from her come the day of competition. Don't you remember how good she looked in the practice videos prior to the team event? She was reported landing triple axels 9 times out of 10 tries. She really looked great, and then... :slink:

True that...in competition she seems to wait one split second too long, she steps too far around the curve...and it is lost. If only she would perform as she is able..well, that would be special.

As far as Adelina and Polina: It reminds me of a story about Tara-who used to do double run through s with ALL of the jumps. Leaving the jumps out ...not a good idea. Gracie and Yulia seem to be in top condition with energy to spare. In the final analysis, I think this might be key to who actually gets a medal.

Ashley? Well, I find the choreography a bit unsophisticated-flailing hands and such. (the long program vid) Based on the practice tapes, I'd have her down around 10th.

Kanoko: That flying freeleg on the flip is driving me nuts.

Yuna: It isn't the same competition it was four years ago. Yulia and Gracie will both score higher on the spins, and I think the Send in the Clowns program is sleepy and slow. Her jumps were beautiful, and her skating skills are superior, but I think she is going to have a difficult time beating Yulia and Gracie. (assuming Gracie skates as well as she has been in practice)

Thank you for posting the practice videos!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2cq4m-xs

Gracie, Polina, & Ashley training in Graz. Shows their programs (Gracie's and Polina's short programs & part of Ashley's new long)

Not sure who this guy is that's interviewing them... I'm a little bit confused by that part...

I really enjoyed this glimpse into the US ladies' training at Graz. I hadn't even picked up on where they were staying, and without the wonders of the internet I wouldn't have seen anything of their time there. I know it is not a huge deal and I don't read too much into it, but I have to say they came across like they have developed some camaraderie. I hope that kind of experience can make the Olympics a special memory for them regardless of competition results. I really liked what I saw of each of their programs, though. I don't know how they will place, but I think they will make themselves proud.

jkun

Final Flight
Yuna: It isn't the same competition it was four years ago. Yulia and Gracie will both score higher on the spins, and I think the Send in the Clowns program is sleepy and slow. Her jumps were beautiful, and her skating skills are superior, but I think she is going to have a difficult time beating Yulia and Gracie. (assuming Gracie skates as well as she has been in practice)

I have the opposite opinion on her short program. I think her short program is beautiful and very classic figure skating. If anything, I think that that is where she can distance herself from Yulia. Send in the Clowns seems to me, that it is much easier to skate to and emote to than Adios. The FS between Yulia and Yuna's programs will be very close I feel. And I definitely don't think she's slow.. She may not be doing as many frantic moves during the step sequence, but I think what she does seems to be unique to the program and not just randomly put in to look impressive.

jkun

Final Flight

I just watched this and YES! I hope she brings this to the main competition. I wish I could see through the boards during the 3F-3Lo, but it looks very smooth to me. She had some trouble on 3S and the 2A-3T seemed a bit underrotated to me. I think she can fix these problems easily. It's great seeing Mao able to do the 3-3 again and the 3A of course. I hope the veteran skaters are really on for the ladies' comp. Very excited