About the SP on the men (jumps) | Golden Skate

About the SP on the men (jumps)

Ximena

Final Flight
While reading a board room about the chances of Weir medalling at worlds or not, I said (in another board room) that Weir weakness came in the SP because of the use of his jumps, but now I want to know what kind of combinations does judges think it's most difficult. In my opinion (form the SP I have seen) it goes like this

I) 4 toe loop or salchow-3 toe loop, 3axel, 3lutz
II) 4 toe loop, 3axel-3toe, 2xel
III) 3axel-3toe loop, 3 lutz, 2axel
IV) 3axel, 3lutz-3toe loop, 3flip
V) the other less difficult combinations

Is that the correct order? or IV is more difficult than III and II? I know I'm sure about (I) but not so sure anymore about the rest.

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I think that order is correct. I see no doubt in the first 2 options you put. As for the last two, you can argue that in a men SP a double jump isn't much (the 2A) but I think it's much harder to do a 3A in combination than to land a 3/3 and a solo 3A. IIRC, this was actually the jump layout the top men were landing a few years ago before they started using quads in the SP.

Also, about combination IV and the two 3Lz in the SP... I thought you couldn't repeat jumps in the SP...? Wouldn't that last jump need to be a flip?

Ximena

Final Flight
oh yes that was my mistake, thanks for pointing that up, it should be a flip. :)