Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wagner says support from Nagasu "Has Meant Everything"

Tripping on the Podium

News Wagner says support from Nagasu "Has Meant Everything"

Even Mirai herself told Ashley she deserves to be on the team Ashley arrived in Sochi on Tuesday.

http://www.today.com/sochi/ashley-wa...ant-2D12054186

On the Ice
    I think that Ashley deserved her spot on the team too, but Mirai couldn't very well have said, "$#@% you, that spot should have been mine, beyotch!"

...Well, I guess she *could* have said that, but Mirai strikes me as being way too gracious for that.

I like that Mirai gave Ashley her support; Mirai knows that if there's a bad guy in this whole mess, it's not Ashley. Ashley didn't bump Mirai herself.

What a nice thing!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkwhatspork View Post
    I think that Ashley deserved her spot on the team too, but Mirai couldn't very well have said, "$#@% you, that spot should have been mine, beyotch!"

...Well, I guess she *could* have said that, but Mirai strikes me as being way too gracious for that.

I like that Mirai gave Ashley her support; Mirai knows that if there's a bad guy in this whole mess, it's not Ashley. Ashley didn't bump Mirai herself.
    True, although, Mirai if she felt resented could have also said nothing. If anything, she's graciously offered her support so that Ashley has confidence and at least doesn't have Mirai's woes on her mind.

Custom Title
    Not surprise. I'm sure she gets why Ashley and Gold are on the team.

Custom Title
    I've gained quite a bit of respect of Mirai based on how she handled herself in the wake of nationals. She's a class act.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkwhatspork View Post

Exactly! This is a testament to Mirai's personality, she could have easily been quite nasty about it; I'm sure lots of people in her position would have been.

I believe Ashley deserved the spot on the team. Hopefully, Mirai's ubers will take a cue from Mirai herself and ease up on Ashley.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    Exactly! This is a testament to Mirai's personality, she could have easily been quite nasty about it; I'm sure lots of people in her position would have been.

I believe Ashley deserved the spot on the team. Hopefully, Mirai's ubers will take a cue from Mirai herself and ease up on Ashley.
    I think the gestures from Mirai were wonderful. And behind closed doors, I don't ever think this was a Mirai/Ashley thing but more of a Mirai/Polina thing. Hope all the girls skate well and have fun!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I think the gestures from mirai were wonderful. And behind closed doors, i don't ever think this was a mirai/ashley thing but more of a mirai/polina thing. Hope all the girls skate well and have fun!

ita....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I think the gestures from Mirai were wonderful. And behind closed doors, I don't ever think this was a Mirai/Ashley thing but more of a Mirai/Polina thing. Hope all the girls skate well and have fun!
    Yeah I have said this since the very beginning, the difference is in the PCS Edumund received as a newbie with zero senior international experience or even serious international results to justify these PCS, had they both performed with an unbiased international ISU judging panel, the ranking could have easily swapped.

It is never about Ashley, although it must be said, Mirai is extremely unlucky that the rules changed this year and it worked against her.

Custom Title
    Both ladies are great skaters and Near, I absolutely agree, Mirai has proven to be a class act throughout all of this.

It sounds like Ashley had a very strong first practice with the new free. Oh Olympics! This is so exciting. These skaters are about as ready as they're ever going to be at this point!

I wish Ashley all the best at the Olympics and hope that we get to see more of both ladies over the years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Yeah I have said this since the very beginning, the difference is in the PCS Edumund received as a newbie with zero senior international experience or even serious international results to justify these PCS, had they both performed with an unbiased international ISU judging panel, the ranking could have easily swapped.

It is never about Ashley, although it must be said, Mirai is extremely unlucky that the rules changed this year and it worked against her.
    I disagree. It is not about Polina as she is the Silver Medalist. It was between Mirai and Ashley. When there are issues like this, the Bronze medalist is the one that gets left behind. Mirai is doing the best thing for herself under the circumstance. She is being gracious and accepting which will go along way if she wants to continue competing.

Down With It
    Nagasu is clearly putting on a brave face/playing the diplomat here even though she must be frustrated/fuming in private. She still manages to make clear her disappointment in not being selected...trying to strike the balance. I guess given that she is continuing on, and the politics of skating, it's in her best interest (The Philippines situation with their skaters earlier in the season comes to mind).

As for Wagner, more so than any other competition she's done, how she does here will define her career, reputation and legacy (if she is to have one). She's already talking up her game (reminiscent of 2012 Nats), and while I love that confidence oozing out of her, at some point ya still have to go out there and skate on ice...which is slippery. Her track record at big competitions has been spotty. And if the brouhaha after Nationals wasn't bad enough, if she fails in Sochi, with the world watching...

But it's not an Ashley/Mirai thing - Mirai had to know deep down with Ashley in the top 5 at Nationals that unless Ashley broke both legs during her skates and was clearly out of commision through the Olympics, she was getting a spot due to how strong she's been internationally for the last 2 seasons and that if she (Mirai) didn't win Nationals, it would come down to the next two placements for the third spot and that she would likely need to be second to make the team. I agree, it's a Polina/Mirai thing...

Custom Title
    Wagner's media savvy. She knows what she has to do/say to try to win the public back. Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast