Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Wagner says support from Nagasu "Has Meant Everything"

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,637
    All these ladies and skatersknowhow to work the PR - sorry to say. There is what you say and here is what you really think. Rarely do you havea Joubert or Chan who really say how they feel.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    I disagree. It is not about Polina as she is the Silver Medalist. It was between Mirai and Ashley. When there are issues like this, the Bronze medalist is the one that gets left behind. Mirai is doing the best thing for herself under the circumstance. She is being gracious and accepting which will go along way if she wants to continue competing.
    If Polina is a more convincing Silver medalist I'd have agreed with you. The point is the difference between them in score > ranking can easy be justified by the PCS difference, and actually Mirai skated earlier than Polina, can also make a difference if the judging want to make the result widen substantially enough to place Polina above Mirai.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Wagner's media savvy. She knows what she has to do/say to try to win the public back. Just sayin'.
    Yep, exacty what she's doing it.

  4. #19
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,102
    There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.


    What Mathman said.

  6. #21
    Custom Title Rachmaninoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    593
    Yeah, I'm sure skaters put some thought into what to say to the media (and what to hold back, for that matter), but that doesn't mean any kind word out of their mouths is phony. Just because something makes a skater look good doesn't mean they don't mean it. I'd think someone in Ashley's position likely would be feeling a bit relieved at Mirai's comments and well wishes. How could she not? And Mirai, well, there are likely other thoughts going through her mind that she's keeping to herself, but that doesn't mean she doesn't mean what she says here, either.

  7. #22
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.
    Amen Math!

  8. #23
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    20
    ITA. But media loves controversy. On NBC's website there is an article about Ashley changing her long program, and they included a link to Mirai's twitter message. There is also coverage of Ashley and Jeremy in Sochi, and there is a photo of Ashley (layback) and Mirai (spiral). LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Wagner's media savvy. She knows what she has to do/say to try to win the public back. Just sayin'.
    BACK? Why should she have to win anyone BACK? No-one should ever have turned against her in the first place! It wasn't HER fault the selection criteria said what it did! It wasn't HER fault that Mirai had not been skating well for a long time. It's not HER fault that she was chosen for the Olympics and not Mirai!

    If anyone has turned against her, well bully for them, and I would say to Ashley: you don't need those people. Don't bother trying to win them back; it's their loss.

  10. #25
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,930
    Karne, the public is fickle and often irrational about such things and frequently not fair minded. The result is that Ashely became the focus of their upset. Frequently, the wrong person becomes the target.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    BACK? Why should she have to win anyone BACK? No-one should ever have turned against her in the first place! It wasn't HER fault the selection criteria said what it did! It wasn't HER fault that Mirai had not been skating well for a long time. It's not HER fault that she was chosen for the Olympics and not Mirai!

    If anyone has turned against her, well bully for them, and I would say to Ashley: you don't need those people. Don't bother trying to win them back; it's their loss.
    Agreed, and now people are saying those people are now saying it's PR blah blah blash. What can she do right now? I think she's being sincere. She didn't do anything wrong. This whole thing reeks of "Every story needs a villain" and so the media and irate Mirai fans decided to make a 22 year old the villain when there is no real "villain" in this story, not even the USFSA. They had a way of deciding who would make the team and Ashley met the criteria more. She didn't make the decision. Maybe this the USFSA's way of telling skaters "If you want to go to Worlds or Olympics you need to skate well all year not just at Nationals

  13. #28
    Figure Skating Fan Hikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.
    Amen!

  14. #29
    ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Axis of Evil
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Yeah I have said this since the very beginning, the difference is in the PCS Edumund received as a newbie with zero senior international experience or even serious international results
    What? She easily won both of her JGP events and was 4th in the JGPF (5th in the SP after falling on her 3lutz but 2nd in the FS). In front of ISU judging panels. Landing triple-triple combinations.

    You do realise that at the moment, the Ladies level at the JGP is higher than at the GP? Check the jumps landed at the JGPF vs. the jumps landed at the GPF.

    And sorry but where in the IJS documents is 'being a newbie' listed as one of the PCS criteria?

    Edmunds performed well and in both programs she showed movement in character of the music, smooth edges and good flow throughout her programs.

    Nagasu's skating was quite heavy and her choreography was basic with little relation to the music. There was absolutely no reason to give her higher PCS.

    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    had they both performed with an unbiased international ISU judging panel, the ranking could have easily swapped.
    Nobody knows what could or couldn't have happened, had the judging panel been international.

    Well, the calls would probably have been harsher. And guess what that would mean for Nagasu's jumps.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What? She easily won both of her JGP events and was 4th in the JGPF (5th in the SP after falling on her 3lutz but 2nd in the FS). In front of ISU judging panels. Landing triple-triple combinations.

    You do realise that at the moment, the Ladies level at the JGP is higher than at the GP? Check the jumps landed at the JGPF vs. the jumps landed at the GPF.

    And sorry but where in the IJS documents is 'being a newbie' listed as one of the PCS criteria?
    In the JGP Final, held in conjunction with the senior GP Final, Edmunds, with a 161, scored 10 points behind the sixth place finisher in the senior competition. Even her FS, which you tout, was a 113, which is respectable but wont turn any heads in Sochi.

    You say there is nothing in the IJS saying newbies will be docked in PCS. It may not be in writing, but in practice PCS scores are routinely held down for newbies. Look at Nagasu's PCS in Vancouver in her first ISU major championship. She outscored Rochette, by a small margin, in TES, yet lost in PCS by around 12 points. A month later in Torino, Nagasu's PCS suddenly shot up, not because her skating skills suddenly improved in that short interval, but because she was no longer considered a newbie. It wont surprise me if Edmunds, not just in her first ISU major championship, but her first ISU senior competion period, gets the same treatment as a newbie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •