Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Women's Biathlon

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    The end of the Olympics is nigh for the Women's Biathletes. In 15 minutes, the Women's 4x6km Relay will be getting underway.

And the BBC will be showing it LIVE on BOTH the website and TV!!!

Here is the livestreaming link:

Official BBC Livestreaming Channel

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for the previous competitions.

BBCi2 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 302 on Freeview
    Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 992 on Virgin Media
    Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 978 on SkyDigital
    Astra 28.2E, Transponder 76 (12.551V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
    NOTE: The channel you want for the biathlon is labelled “BBC RB 2

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Impressed with Sachenbacher(surprised). It's like I've seen her skiing forever... in her pink head cover LOL. The biathletes are often really strong skiers and Tiril is 10 years younger than Evi. But it would have been awesome if Evi had won bronze.
    And sigh, today she tested positive in a doping test and was not allowed to compete for Germany. B-test check tonight and a hearing. Bad and sad

Congrats Ukraine for winning gold Can't imagine how they can focus, knowing what's happening at home. Hopes for peace and democracy in Ukraine…
    2 Russia
    3 Norway

Impressed with Sachenbacher(surprised). It's like I've seen her skiing forever... in her pink head cover LOL. The biathletes are often really strong skiers and Tiril is 10 years younger than Evi. But it would have been awesome if Evi had won bronze.
    And sigh, today she tested positive in a doping test and was not allowed to compete for Germany. B-test check tonight and a hearing. Bad and sad
    This makes me so angry, and disappointed. I know that there are a lot of similarities between biathlon and Cross Country skiing, but I was so impressed with how well she has been doing since she switched sports. And how quickly it took for her to get used to Biathlon.

I really liked her. Now, I'm just disgusted.

EDIT: The above was written before I watched last night’s “Davai Sochi”. Now that I have heard the story from Michael Greiss, that it was something in a food supplement, I feel sorry for Evi.

My favourite Japanese motorbike racer, Noriyuki Haga, missed out on winning the 2000 World Superbike Championship because he was disqualified from the second race of the season in Kyalami after failing a drugs test. And it was all because a cough medicine he was taking had a different recipe in South Africa than it did in Japan.

We don't know the full story of what happened with Evi yet. But from what I have heard so far, it sounds like it could be a similar situation.

I know it is up to the athlete to know what they are putting in their bodies. But, it must be so hard for athletes to keep track of what they can use and what they can't when the manufacturers are using different recipes for the same product in different countries!

It is cases like this that really winds me up!

Back to the actual race, and it was a very eventful first leg. First, Germany's Franziska Preuss falls shortly after the start of the race, and breaks her pole. Then, when she reaches the shooting range (after everybody has left), she discovers her sights is full of snow, and has to sort that out. Which loses a lot more time.

She did manage a good shoot, though, and got out of the range in front of Poland's Krystyna Palka, who was doing FOUR penalty loops. (WHAT?!)

Although Germany did make up some time and places, they never really recovered, and finished 11th... BEHIND POLAND!

Then, just after the first shoot, we saw France's Marie Laure Brunet lying on the ground. Didn't see what happened, but that was the end of France's race.

For most of the race, it was the Ukrainian team leading with the Russians not far behind. And I was thinking "Oh, wouldn't this be a great result."

Fast forward to the last lap, and Tora Berger came out of the range 25 seconds behind the leader. And I thought "Oh, no! You know how Tora Berger can eat away a lead like that in no time at all!"

But, she didn't this time!

Congrats Ukraine for winning gold Can't imagine how they can focus, knowing what's happening at home. Hopes for peace and democracy in Ukraine…
    I was absolutely delighted that the Ukraine won, given everything that has been happening back home. And it was lovely seeing how happy Vita Semerenko in particular was with the result.

It looks like it was a good decision to not use the Semerenko twins in the Mixed Relay, and rest them until the Women's Relay. But, it was Olena Pidhrushna in the final leg that really impressed me today!

And I got a big surprise when I watched last night’s “Davai Sochi”. I would never have imagined that this was only the Ukraine’s second Winter Olympic Gold medal! (The first, of course, coming courtesy of our own Oksana Baiul).

As a footnote, can I just add that it looks things may be improving in Kiev...

CaroLiza_fan

This has not been a good week for Women's Biathlon in Germany.

First we had the news that Evi Sachenbacher had failed a drugs test on her "A"-sample. Well, inevitably, the "B"-sample has also failed.

Here is the story (in German) as told in a couple of German newspapers:

http://www.bild.de/sport/olympia/bia...4330.bild.html

http://www.berliner-kurier.de/sportm...26304366.html#

Sachenbacher has now been disqualified from all her Sochi races, and as a result Germany has been disqualified from the mixed relay.

Here is the official announcement from the IOC:

http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-sanc...i-games/225754

I was just at the DSV website, and they make no mention of Evi's situation at all, even though there are newer stories (see below). But, what I did find interesting is that when you go to her DSV Bio, there is a link to her FIS Bio. And when you click on the link, all the FIS Bio says is:

does not wish that her/his personal information is published on the FIS Website (biographical details).
    Have the FIS already washed their hands of her?

Admittedly, this Bio is from her Cross-Country days as, unlike in Germany where all ski-sports come under the DSV, Biathlon does not come under the FIS - it has its own governing body (the IBU). And her IBU Bio is still up. So, perhaps when she switched sports, her old profile was taken down. I don't know.

That has now been followed by some very sad news. 19-year-old Junior Biathlete Julia Pieper has died.

Here is the initial posting of the story from Saturday:

http://www.biathlon-online.de/6970/w...-julia-pieper/

And here are a couple of today's newspaper reports about it (again, in German):

http://www.bild.de/sport/wintersport...4404.bild.html

http://www.berliner-kurier.de/sportm...,26331060.html

And here is the reaction from the DSV:

http://www.deutscherskiverband.de/de...55,detail.html

As far as I know, Julia's only international experience was when she competed at last year's Junior World Championships in Obertilliach in Austria, where she finished 27th in the Individual, 22nd in the Pursuit, 20th in the Sprint, and 7th as part of the Relay team.

These results were taken from Julia Pieper's IBU Bio. Unfortunately, her DSV Bio does not tell you much.

May I pass on my condolences to all of Julia's family and friends

CaroLiza_fan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2