Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total"

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    No. Base value is only points on paper. You have to actually execute them and pass the exacting standards of a tech panel to get those points. Mao needs to skate clean to "lock-in" gold. Any flaws and the judges will readily place Julia or Yuna above her. I suspect the judges are most favorable to a clean Lipnitskaia, so if Kim or Asada make mistakes she'll vault ahead of them. My 'worry' podium is a lot like SLC 2002, where Julia gets way overscored in the SP and goes clean in the LP to beat both Kim and Asada (the two heavy favorites).
    While I agree with almost everything here I'm compelled to respond to a "worry podium". Why worry? I say being heavy favorites shouldn't be enough. When asked about judging being fair or too strict Julia said"we shouldn't give the judges anything negative to deduct and present only clean skating". I see nothing wrong with holding the favorites to these standards too. It might make some of them skate better and some may change up there programs to try and skate better results!!

Even though Julia is my #1 I see no reason not to root on Mao. Especially with changing up the back to back 3a which I was perhaps a bit over critical of. I say go get em girl and make history while doing it!

Rinkside
    Kimmie Meissner landed two triple-triple combinations to win Worlds in 2006. The protocol isn't loading for me but I think they both counted.

Had she landed a clean triple-triple in her free skate at 2005 Nationals, she would've been the first to do eight ratified triples.

I posted this over on FSU, but the skaters who have attempted (or planned to attempt) 8 triples are: Ito, Nakano, Onda, Nelidina, Meissner, Asada. None have yet been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    While I agree with almost everything here I'm compelled to respond to a "worry podium". Why worry? I say being heavy favorites shouldn't be enough. When asked about judging being fair or too strict Julia said"we shouldn't give the judges anything negative to deduct and present only clean skating". I see nothing wrong with holding the favorites to these standards too. It might make some of them skate better and some may change up there programs to try and skate better results!!

Even though Julia is my #1 I see no reason not to root on Mao. Especially with changing up the back to back 3a which I was perhaps a bit over critical of. I say go get em girl and make history while doing it!
    Why worry? Because it's a possibility. Look, I made no suggestion that such a result would necessarily be unfair. If Julia is clean while Kim and Asada make glaring errors she would obviously deserve to win.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Judges may not like +3Lo combos but they want to be the part of "history". She won't lose because of UR(s) which only slow motion can detect. When she loses, it must involve multiple visible errors.
    I think that the idea of overlooking underrotated jumps just to be part of history is absolutely ludicrous.

Custom Title
    The Olympic technical panel will be lenient anyway. As far as I remember, they did overlook URs of Asada's 3F, Kim's 3-3 and Flatt's 3Lz in the SP at Vancouver. Ando's 3-3 and 3F were both URed but only the 3-3 was downgraded. It was also lenient on edge calls. Only Meier's flip and Kwak's lutz were marked "e" in the FS. I think the same thing could happen at Sochi. Abandoning the lutz would be a huge loss for Asada. It's absolutely better than the second 3A.

Custom Title
    Asada aims for "eight triples" and make a Guinness world record again
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...3-1256735.html

Asada (and Suzuki) are practicing at "SPORT AND CONCERT COMPLEX" in Yerevan, Armenia now. Apparently Murakami is entering Sochi directly.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...2-1256413.html

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7