Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total" | Golden Skate

Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total"

Iscariot

On the Ice
By just hitting that layout she can get a huuuuuuuuuge score, thats a good thing, she takes the pressure off the second triple axel and the program wont look empty which will give her great pcs

Panini

On the Ice
I saw some Japanese fans speculating that she's going to go for the 3F-3Lo on twitter... I hope it turns out well for her if this is true.

Franklin99

Medalist
Her training was probably not going well, then.

Actually, quite the opposite. She said her training has been going very well. And that she was in great spirits heading into Sochi. She, or her coach Sato was smart enough to realize that going for two 3A was far riskier then just going for one and adding a 3-3 to improve her overall score.

Ven

Match Penalty
Given Mao's insistence on two 3As for so long, I think it's a fair inference that her training was not going well. No competitor would ever admit that, of course she will say her training is going well. But if it had been going well, she would probably still be doing the two 3As, right? Hopefully this will help her get back her confidence so she can skate her best at Sochi.

NMURA

Medalist
According to this, her training is going "very well" since the beginning of this year. I think they had received wide criticism on "two 3axels in the FS". Even Nobuo Sato has admitted that. Mao's 3A is the source of her motivation, which is the most important factor of her performances. After all, it's Mao's own decision. Suzuki's FS score at Japanese nationals was a strong warning from the JSF. Skate balanced program cleanly, then you will get a big score. Otherwise, you're doomed.

yiyumengxing

Rinkside
Good job!
I prefer 8 triples to 2 triple Axels, which is more stable with high BV at the same time. Triple Asada, not Mao Axel. However, does it imply any need to control her back injury? She said the amount of 3A should be determined in accordance with the degree of back injury before.
God bless her.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Ven said:
Given Mao's insistence on two 3As for so long, I think it's a fair inference that her training was not going well. No competitor would ever admit that, of course she will say her training is going well. But if it had been going well, she would probably still be doing the two 3As, right? Hopefully this will help her get back her confidence so she can skate her best at Sochi.

I don't get your train of thought on this... Mao will include the 3Lz back into her program and likely the 3F3Lo too - she said this 1 3A layout nearly gives her the same BV, and for that, she'd need the 3-3 combination. She also clearly said she wants to do the 6 different triples. If her practices were going bad, why would she return to train 3 different tricks (3-3, 3Lz, 3A) instead of just one?
Also, there were speculations that her back injury kept her from training the 3F-3Lo (she said she couldn't practice spins for a while too). So the 2 3A strategy might have come into play as a way to scrap the 3-3. OTOH, she might have just looked back and realized her earlier layout skates were better than her 2 3A ones (SA+NHK vs. GPF+Nats). There could be a lot of reasons for this change, not necessarily bad practices.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Or she could have just changed her mind. Sato is a great influence on her- he makes her think more clearly. It's not necessarily because her practices have gone bad, maybe she realised skating the old layout would prove better and low-risk. Who knows? Whatever. I'm just happy to hear news.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
As I mentioned in other thread, Asada is taking a right path if she includes as many triples with triple-triple as she can in Sochi. Currently the ISU judges have been very lenient to jumps with poor qualities, especially in regard to the newbies. As long as Asada stands on jump, even if two footed, she won't get penalized much. With her stable PCS, it is virtually impossible for any to threat Asada's advantage, except Kim or possibly Kostner at her best. Good strategic move.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Interesting. I wonder if she is in good enough condition to attempt the 3-3. Go forth, Mao, and land that sankaiten-sankaiten! Or whatever they call it.

She was "insisting on two 3As" for all of 2 months and always said that she hadn't decided yet. After the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons, she never gave any hint of trying the two 3A layout this quad, which is why everyone was so surprised when she first brought it up.

miki88

Medalist
Or she could have just changed her mind. Sato is a great influence on her- he makes her think more clearly. It's not necessarily because her practices have gone bad, maybe she realised skating the old layout would prove better and low-risk. Who knows? Whatever. I'm just happy to hear news.

She did. :) Translation of her quote in a recent interview: "I've done whatever I can do. I want to maintain good condition and good image after arriving in Sochi too. It's better to have one 3A in FS instead of two, because the program is well balanced with one 3A. "

Franklin99

Medalist
Mrs. Sato said she''s been doing great. Now her back is fine. The pain is gone. And she's been doing her program with 3F-3L without making any mistakes.
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20140205-OHT1T00123.htm

That's very good to hear joy. I hope everyone brings their best in Sochi and gives the fans an exciting competition to watch.

With Mao going back to her original FS layout, will she be the only female skater to do all six triple jumps in the FS at the Olympics? Our has Midori and/or Tonya already accomplished that feat?