Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total"

NMURA

Medalist
Asada's strategy is more on securing silver than winning gold at this point. Asada doesn't have to worry about qualities because she has enough qualities to satisfy the judges, except against Kim. Her disadvantage comes when she is measured against Kim or Kostner at her best skating or Murakami at super outing possibly.

Wrong. Another silver medal is of little value for Mao. At the time of Vancouver Olympics, she didn't have any "quantity" advantage against Kim. Her total base values are only 2 points higher than Kim's. This time, 12 points base value gap is impossible to fill just with "quality". Even so-called "quality" is not something measurable objectively. It depends on the judges' favors. With overwhelming base values (given expected lenient Olympic standars), Mao will be considered as the favorite. This recognition is the most important thing in this sport.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Wrong. Another silver medal is of little value for Mao. At the time of Vancouver Olympics, she didn't have any "quantity" advantage against Kim. Her total base values are only 2 points higher than Kim's. This time, 12 points base value gap is impossible to fill just with "quality". Even so-called "quality" is not something measurable objectively. It depends on the judges' favors. With overwhelming base values (given expected lenient Olympic standars), Mao will be considered as the favorite. This recognition is the most important thing in this sport.

Of course Asada should aim at gold, and others too. My point is that Asada is not competing with Kim alone. Moreover, Asada is in an uphill battle to topple Kim, no matter what condition Kim might be in Sochi. What is problematic in Asada's skating in a strategic point of view is that she tends to play a zero-sum game, which is not working for her. But once Asada follows a correct strategy, she will have more options and also have a shot to the top when Kim crumbles.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Thanks cjuarez. I hope when Mao retires, more skating newbies attempt all six triples. Everyone going for the 3lz-3t is becoming rather redundant. More ladies should mix it up, like Adelina's 3lz-3lo.

How exactly is 3Lz-3T redundant? The highest possible BV for triple-triple is 3Lz-3Lo, and 3Lz-3T is second (if we exclude 3A combination). Mixing up would only result in 2 different jump combos that gives a high BV. It's better to attemp 3Lz-3T since 3Lz-3Lo is rarely ratified, and rather than having negative to 0 GOEs on 3Lz-3Lo, its better to get GOEs on 3Lz+3T. Not only that, out of top 10 ladies, who can ACTUALLY land a consistent 3Lz-3T with +2 or +3 GOEs? There' only couple of them, compared to others who attempt 3T+3T. I'll rather see a "redundant" 3Lz+3T than 3T+3T.

Actually, Mao DID have the "quantity" advantage against Kim. I'm sure you remember the "who who win if Kim and Asada goes clean" thread. Theoretically, Mao wins Kim with quantity, but she has never delivered a clean skate that could potentially maximize the BV that she planned out. Mao had mistakes in two of her jumping passes in vancouver, and the quality of her jump were not as good as Kims in 2010. Overwhelming base values could make her a favorite, but remember there is also Kim who is an OGM, and World Champ, and Julia who's an European champion.

Anyways, it would be another history if Mao lands everything in Sochi and win OGM, if Yuna repeats, or if Julia wins and become the second person( I believe) to win Gold in such a young age. Mao going for 8 triples definitely alerts other skaters to skate their best, so it definitely brings another level of competitiveness to the field. All in all, it's going to be very interesting game in Sochi:biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
She's scared of Julia and cop is about "regress for success". She's about silver again or gold if Yuna make mistakes.

NMURA

Medalist
The strategy is simple. Impress the judges with overwhelming BV and intimidate the rivals. The Olympics is much to do with wars of nerves. If she persist on "two triple axels in the FS", the rivals can skate with less pressure. Everyone knows it is suicidal. Even if she skated "cleanly" with the GPF layout, the score would be lower. The second 3A can hardly avoid UR and the PCS should be reduced due to negative impressions of unbalance, tension, the lack of connection to audiences, and above all, the value of the 3A will be offset by the lack of lutz and 3-3. A balanced program will guarantee higher PCS which is enough to override the 2 points difference between one and two Axels. This is not including the 3F-3L. Again, given expected lenient Olympic standards, what it takes to win is landing all jumps "cleanly". The favorite always receives generous marks. That is the nature of this sport.

CarneAsada

Medalist
How exactly is 3Lz-3T redundant? The highest possible BV for triple-triple is 3Lz-3Lo, and 3Lz-3T is second (if we exclude 3A combination). Mixing up would only result in 2 different jump combos that gives a high BV. It's better to attemp 3Lz-3T since 3Lz-3Lo is rarely ratified, and rather than having negative to 0 GOEs on 3Lz-3Lo, its better to get GOEs on 3Lz+3T. Not only that, out of top 10 ladies, who can ACTUALLY land a consistent 3Lz-3T with +2 or +3 GOEs? There' only couple of them, compared to others who attempt 3T+3T. I'll rather see a "redundant" 3Lz+3T than 3T+3T.
Actually, the 3Lo-3Lo and 3F-3Lo are both higher BV than 3Lz-3T, which sits in 4th place among 3-3 combination without 3A. And yes, it is currently unfavorable to attempt 3-3Lo combinations of any kind due to the harsh judging on the rotation and the fact that they are undervalued in BV. But that makes me respect skaters like Adelina all the more for still keeping such a combination (not to mention her 3-3 when landed is fully rotated).

So she is waiting for mistakes from Kim?
Not really. Her BV is actually higher if she attempts 8 triples (given the mention of practicing 3-3, I assume she will). She will instantly lose this BV advantage thanks to the guaranteed -GOE for her flutz, but her TES ceiling will be virtually the same for either jumping layout. As for mistakes from Kim, she would need none to win if she could actually land all her jumps properly in one program. Which likely isn't going to happen, but she would need mistakes from Kim to win with any sort of flawed program.

I'm glad she finally took my advice.:biggrin:;)
Yours and the rest of this forum's. :laugh:

nagoya

Rinkside
She's scared of Julia

I'm sorry but how can you be scared of someone when you beat her several times in a huge event? this is just absurd.
Mao will probably just smile when she heard that she is scared of julia.
everyone in this thread is not scared of the person they beat several times in any sporting competitions let alone a veteran and the most competitive skater.
please stop being so uber and face the facts

gmyers

Record Breaker
I'm sorry but how can you be scared of someone when you beat her several times in a huge event? this is just absurd.
Mao will probably just smile when she heard that she is scared of julia.
everyone in this thread is not scared of the person they beat several times in any sporting competitions let alone a veteran and the most competitive skater.
please stop being so uber and face the facts

She is scared. She is not doing two triple axels anymore. She's worried two triple axels won't Get ratified or dg and then she'll fall behind Julia or others and then she won't even win silver. Now she's not even going for the win against Kim with 2 axels. Julia is actually better than she was at the gpf. It's a fear move to drop the second axel. Even if you don't think it's because of Julia it's a fear move.

CarneAsada

Medalist
She is scared. She is not doing two triple axels anymore. She's worried two triple axels won't Get ratified or dg and then she'll fall behind Julia or others and then she won't even win silver. Now she's not even going for the win against Kim with 2 axels. Julia is actually better than she was at the gpf. It's a fear move to drop the second axel. Even if you don't think it's because of Julia it's a fear move.
I'm not one to comment on whether a competitor is scared or not, but it is possible that she dropped the second axel because she finally remembered that half her combination attempts in the 2009-2010 season were downgraded and she hasn't landed a 3A-2T in competition since Worlds 2010 (where they were, incidentally, both downgraded). She also stated something everyone on this forum has been saying, that having two 3As in a row makes the program seem unbalanced or empty (i.e. she might get lower PCS). In the end, she simply wants points. A 3-3 + Lutz will get her just as many points as a 3A-2T + Flip if successful, and if she isn't in top condition the day of the FS, a 3F-2Lo will get her many more points than a failed 3A combination of any kind.

You could call it "scared" if you want. It's mostly just smart. I do like the pursuit of needless, poorly-rewarded difficulty and unusual risks, but most of the time that doesn't happen from skaters at the Olympics (as we have seen this season with multiple skaters going back to their old LPs, rearranging their elements to get the maximum reward for minimal work, this isn't unusual).

elif

Medalist
It kinda feels like there has to be at least one

Yuna's top technical score is 74 (Worlds 2013) Even with a fall and a double jump her TES still could be higher than 65. There is going to be PCS gap too. I don't think Mao can challenge her with only one 3A and no 3&3.

TheCzar

On the Ice
LOL 'She's scared of Julia'. That's a comment you get from some quasi-sports commentator who knows **** about the sport their watching. She's aware of the odds and so do the rest of the athletes- whenever they go into competition. Do people think these figure skaters live in a soap opera where they actually keep tabs on their competition and jiggle at the knees to the prospect of losing? If it is, then it is a sad day for the sport. The coaches and the athlete confered and came to a practical strategy and conclusion- its that simple.