Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total"

Banned
    As I mentioned in other thread, Asada is taking a right path if she includes as many triples with triple-triple as she can in Sochi. Currently the ISU judges have been very lenient to jumps with poor qualities, especially in regard to the newbies. As long as Asada stands on jump, even if two footed, she won't get penalized much. With her stable PCS, it is virtually impossible for any to threat Asada's advantage, except Kim or possibly Kostner at her best. Good strategic move.

Custard Title
    Interesting. I wonder if she is in good enough condition to attempt the 3-3. Go forth, Mao, and land that sankaiten-sankaiten! Or whatever they call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Given Mao's insistence on two 3As for so long, I think it's a fair inference that her training was not going well. No competitor would ever admit that, of course she will say her training is going well. But if it had been going well, she would probably still be doing the two 3As, right? Hopefully this will help her get back her confidence so she can skate her best at Sochi.
    She was "insisting on two 3As" for all of 2 months and always said that she hadn't decided yet. After the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons, she never gave any hint of trying the two 3A layout this quad, which is why everyone was so surprised when she first brought it up.

On the Ice
    Mrs. Sato said she's been doing great. Now her back is fine. The pain is gone. And she's been doing her program with 3F-3L without making any mistakes.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00123.htm

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    Or she could have just changed her mind. Sato is a great influence on her- he makes her think more clearly. It's not necessarily because her practices have gone bad, maybe she realised skating the old layout would prove better and low-risk. Who knows? Whatever. I'm just happy to hear news.
    She did. Translation of her quote in a recent interview: "I've done whatever I can do. I want to maintain good condition and good image after arriving in Sochi too. It's better to have one 3A in FS instead of two, because the program is well balanced with one 3A. "

Quote Originally Posted by joy k.k View Post
    Mrs. Sato said she''s been doing great. Now her back is fine. The pain is gone. And she's been doing her program with 3F-3L without making any mistakes.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00123.htm

That's very good to hear joy. I hope everyone brings their best in Sochi and gives the fans an exciting competition to watch.

With Mao going back to her original FS layout, will she be the only female skater to do all six triple jumps in the FS at the Olympics? Our has Midori and/or Tonya already accomplished that feat?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    That's very good to hear joy. I hope everyone brings their best in Sochi and gives the fans an exciting competition to watch.

With Mao going back to her original FS layout, will she be the only female skater to do all six triple jumps in the FS at the Olympics? Our has Midori and/or Tonya already accomplished that feat?
    Midori in 1992 doubled the flip but she did the other five triples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polwvMNVgFU

Quote Originally Posted by cjuarez View Post
    Midori in 1992 doubled the flip but she did the other five triples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polwvMNVgFU
    Thanks cjuarez. I hope when Mao retires, more skating newbies attempt all six triples. Everyone going for the 3lz-3t is becoming rather redundant. More ladies should mix it up, like Adelina's 3lz-3lo.

Custom Title
    Actually, quite the opposite. She said her training has been going very well. And that she was in great spirits heading into Sochi. She, or her coach Sato was smart enough to realize that going for two 3A was far riskier then just going for one and adding a 3-3 to improve her overall score.
    What do you expect her to say? Training is horrible, I can't land my axel score me low because I am not a threat? Everyone is saying the right stuff to the media. The odds are someone is having a bad practice but they aren't going to say it out loud and try oto get judges to notice it.

Custom Title
    Regardless of how her practices are going, this is still a good idea. If her layout is: 3A, 3F-3R, 3Z, 2A-3T, 3S, 3F-2R-2R, 3R she might win even with one <.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    What do you expect her to say? Training is horrible, I can't land my axel score me low because I am not a threat? Everyone is saying the right stuff to the media. The odds are someone is having a bad practice but they aren't going to say it out loud and try oto get judges to notice it.
    Has any skater ever lied to the media and said "practices were terrible" before proceeding to "win" all the practices at the competition venue? That seems like something Shizuka Arakawa should have done.

Custom Title
    In 2010, Asada became the first woman to land three 3A's in a competition. In 2014, if she wants to make another "history", it should be the first eight triples FS by a woman. Mao's persistence is not on the number of the Axel, but something no one else can do (or attempt). I think that is the reason of her decision (most likely Sato has made the persuasion). After all, the Olympics is a festival of nations. They might be generous with an epoch .

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    They might be generous with an epoch .
    I doubt it. She will need to do high quality triples to get the GOE needed to win. If she lands 7 or 8 triples with good +GOE she should win. If she lands 8 triples with a few messy ones I don't think the judges will give her favors.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I'm glad she's going with the balanced layout. It's smarter and allows her a little more breathing room. A 7-triple program with a 3A kicker will be a tough program to beat and she'd make history again (first 8-triple program). If she can pull it off cleanly she could and probably would win even against a clean Yu-Na. Think about it: historic 8-triple program done under the pressure of the Olympics? I can't s The TES would be huge and the clean program PCS boost would probably pull her even with Yu-Na. It'd be close but I think Mao would win.

But I agree with drivingmissdaisy. Mao can't be sloppy and expect to win.

Skating gods prefer quality over quantity, and Mao has never shown that she is actually capable of doing such layout, but anyway, kudos to Mao for throwing the kitchen sink in her final showdown.

Tripping on the Podium

I believe as of now only queen midori ito is tge only one

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast