Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total"

cjuarez

Rinkside
That's very good to hear joy. I hope everyone brings their best in Sochi and gives the fans an exciting competition to watch.

With Mao going back to her original FS layout, will she be the only female skater to do all six triple jumps in the FS at the Olympics? Our has Midori and/or Tonya already accomplished that feat?

Midori in 1992 doubled the flip but she did the other five triples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polwvMNVgFU

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually, quite the opposite. She said her training has been going very well. And that she was in great spirits heading into Sochi. She, or her coach Sato was smart enough to realize that going for two 3A was far riskier then just going for one and adding a 3-3 to improve her overall score.

What do you expect her to say? Training is horrible, I can't land my axel score me low because I am not a threat? Everyone is saying the right stuff to the media. The odds are someone is having a bad practice but they aren't going to say it out loud and try oto get judges to notice it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Regardless of how her practices are going, this is still a good idea. If her layout is: 3A, 3F-3R, 3Z, 2A-3T, 3S, 3F-2R-2R, 3R she might win even with one <.

CarneAsada

Medalist
What do you expect her to say? Training is horrible, I can't land my axel score me low because I am not a threat? Everyone is saying the right stuff to the media. The odds are someone is having a bad practice but they aren't going to say it out loud and try oto get judges to notice it.
Has any skater ever lied to the media and said "practices were terrible" before proceeding to "win" all the practices at the competition venue? That seems like something Shizuka Arakawa should have done.

NMURA

Medalist
In 2010, Asada became the first woman to land three 3A's in a competition. In 2014, if she wants to make another "history", it should be the first eight triples FS by a woman. Mao's persistence is not on the number of the Axel, but something no one else can do (or attempt). I think that is the reason of her decision (most likely Sato has made the persuasion). After all, the Olympics is a festival of nations. They might be generous with an epoch .

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
They might be generous with an epoch .

I doubt it. She will need to do high quality triples to get the GOE needed to win. If she lands 7 or 8 triples with good +GOE she should win. If she lands 8 triples with a few messy ones I don't think the judges will give her favors.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm glad she's going with the balanced layout. It's smarter and allows her a little more breathing room. A 7-triple program with a 3A kicker will be a tough program to beat and she'd make history again (first 8-triple program). If she can pull it off cleanly she could and probably would win even against a clean Yu-Na. Think about it: historic 8-triple program done under the pressure of the Olympics? I can't s The TES would be huge and the clean program PCS boost would probably pull her even with Yu-Na. It'd be close but I think Mao would win.

But I agree with drivingmissdaisy. Mao can't be sloppy and expect to win.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Skating gods prefer quality over quantity, and Mao has never shown that she is actually capable of doing such layout, but anyway, kudos to Mao for throwing the kitchen sink in her final showdown.

nagoya

Rinkside
That's very good to hear joy. I hope everyone brings their best in Sochi and gives the fans an exciting competition to watch.

With Mao going back to her original FS layout, will she be the only female skater to do all six triple jumps in the FS at the Olympics? Our has Midori and/or Tonya already accomplished that feat?
I believe as of now only queen midori ito is tge only one

nagoya

Rinkside
I doubt it. She will need to do high quality triples to get the GOE needed to win. If she lands 7 or 8 triples with good +GOE she should win. If she lands 8 triples with a few messy ones I don't think the judges will give her favors.
I think they will award mao chan even jumps are not perfect, this way younger generations will go for variety and and harder layouts to push this sport forward or else the newbies will just stick to toes and salchows and get high pcs , that will be so boring esp when compared to mens program where everyone else is flying with their quad jumps which is very exciting to watch

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Skating gods prefer quality over quantity, and Mao has never shown that she is actually capable of doing such layout, but anyway, kudos to Mao for throwing the kitchen sink in her final showdown.

Skating gods may, but judges may not, :biggrin:. Without quality Asada may have no chance against Kim but she can easily keep the rest at bay with radical jump layout. :laugh:

I think they will award mao chan even jumps are not perfect, this way younger generations will go for variety and and harder layouts to push this sport forward or else the newbies will just stick to toes and salchows and get high pcs , that will be so boring esp when compared to mens program where everyone else is flying with their quad jumps which is very exciting to watch

That's a great point, and I hope you're right about this way of encouraging a wider variety of jumps. And good for Mao for planning a program with as many kinds of jumps as possible.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Can someone explain to me how this changes the base value of her program? Are her chances of winning the OGM more optimistic after this chance? And how plausible is it that she can skate this kind of program well?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

Asada's strategy is more on securing silver than winning gold at this point. Asada doesn't have to worry about qualities because she has enough qualities to satisfy the judges, except against Kim. Her disadvantage comes when she is measured against Kim or Kostner at her best skating or Murakami at super outing possibly.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Asada's strategy is more on securing silver than winning gold at this point. Asada doesn't have to worry about qualities because she has enough qualities to satisfy the judges, except against Kim. Her disadvantage comes when she is measured against Kim or Kostner at her best skating or Murakami at super outing possibly.
Kostner at her best is a nebulous idea foreign to this universe; Asada "at her best" is a similar thing but at least she has the BV to stave off most challenges.

Murakami's super outings still lose domestically to Akiko Suzuki (lol) and to not-dreadful Asada (like Worlds 2013, where one poster claimed she deserved the silver ahead of Asada).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
YunaBliss said:
Skating gods prefer quality over quantity

Oh well then, how good Mao isn't relying on quantity, but difficulty. Just in cace you didn't realize an 8 triple program with a 3A would be mroe difficult than a 6 triple one.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Kostner at her best is a nebulous idea foreign to this universe; Asada "at her best" is a similar thing but at least she has the BV to stave off most challenges.

Murakami's super outings still lose domestically to Akiko Suzuki (lol) and to not-dreadful Asada (like Worlds 2013, where one poster claimed she deserved the silver ahead of Asada).

Your sense of humor, :laugh: but I wouldn't so resolutely foreclose the yet-to-unfold. There is always a looming element of surprise or accident at any event, however implausible.