Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada says "two triple axels in total"

Icey

Record Breaker
At worlds that year, Mao's 3f+3L was downgraded. That competition was where she had that heart stopping fall on the 3ax.

yuki

Final Flight
At worlds that year, Mao's 3f+3L was downgraded. That competition was where she had that heart stopping fall on the 3ax.

But she got credit for the 3A AND both 3-3 combinations earlier that season, at the 2007 GPF (even though only the 3F-3Lo received positive GOE).

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Different time, but both of Hughes triple triple combos in her winning Olympic long program were +3lo combos, 3 salchow and 3 toe loop. Let's not get into the ever ending argument about the quality of her jumps, but has anyone since done 2 triple/triple combos in the long program. That is an amazing 6 triples right off the bat. I thought I had read that Polina was going to do that at nationals, but she didn't.

Shizuka Arakawa. 2004 Worlds. One of which was a 3-3-2.

ivy

On the Ice
Different time, but both of Hughes triple triple combos in her winning Olympic long program were +3lo combos, 3 salchow and 3 toe loop. Let's not get into the ever ending argument about the quality of her jumps, but has anyone since done 2 triple/triple combos in the long program. That is an amazing 6 triples right off the bat. I thought I had read that Polina was going to do that at nationals, but she didn't.

Polina did a 3Lz3T and a 3F1Lo3Sal at Nat'l. In today's CoP world that counts as 2 triple/triples. Got pos GoE on both too

Ophelia

Record Breaker
So...if her program layout is so technically difficult and has a much higher BV than her competitors' programs, does that mean she's potentially a lock for gold now?

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
So...if her program layout is so technically difficult and has a much higher BV than her competitors' programs, does that mean she's potentially a lock for gold now?

That's assuming Mao can successfully lands and rotates all her planned jumps. The failure threshold for a Ladies 8 triple program is so low that a handful of mistakes on key jumps could send her off the podium.

NMURA

Medalist

If she landed all planned jumps, literally it makes "history". Even Midori Ito has not landed six different triples at the Olympics. Eight triples FS by a woman is unprecedented. The judge panel won't be able to resist the tide of "history". I don't expect she can land a fully rotated 3-3, but if she landed "8 triples" in the FS, a minor UR could be overlooked as a bonus. An unprecedented performance should warrant the unprecedented PCS.

CarneAsada

Medalist
No, it doesn't. She still needs to skate the program nearly perfectly which has never happened in her life. She can beat a perfect Kim with it but she can't afford any landing errors or pops/UR.

Krislite

Medalist

No. Base value is only points on paper. You have to actually execute them and pass the exacting standards of a tech panel to get those points. Mao needs to skate clean to "lock-in" gold. Any flaws and the judges will readily place Julia or Yuna above her. I suspect the judges are most favorable to a clean Lipnitskaia, so if Kim or Asada make mistakes she'll vault ahead of them. My 'worry' podium is a lot like SLC 2002, where Julia gets way overscored in the SP and goes clean in the LP to beat both Kim and Asada (the two heavy favorites).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Base value is only points on paper. You have to actually execute them and pass the exacting standards of a tech panel to get those points. Mao needs to skate clean to "lock-in" gold. Any flaws and the judges will readily place Julia or Yuna above her. I suspect the judges are most favorable to a clean Lipnitskaia, so if Kim or Asada make mistakes she'll vault ahead of them. My 'worry' podium is a lot like SLC 2002, where Julia gets way overscored in the SP and goes clean in the LP to beat both Kim and Asada (the two heavy favorites).

While I agree with almost everything here I'm compelled to respond to a "worry podium". Why worry? I say being heavy favorites shouldn't be enough. When asked about judging being fair or too strict Julia said"we shouldn't give the judges anything negative to deduct and present only clean skating". I see nothing wrong with holding the favorites to these standards too. It might make some of them skate better and some may change up there programs to try and skate better results!!;)

Even though Julia is my #1 I see no reason not to root on Mao. Especially with changing up the back to back 3a which I was perhaps a bit over critical of. I say go get em girl and make history while doing it!

all_empty

Spectator
Kimmie Meissner landed two triple-triple combinations to win Worlds in 2006. The protocol isn't loading for me but I think they both counted.

Had she landed a clean triple-triple in her free skate at 2005 Nationals, she would've been the first to do eight ratified triples.

I posted this over on FSU, but the skaters who have attempted (or planned to attempt) 8 triples are: Ito, Nakano, Onda, Nelidina, Meissner, Asada. None have yet been successful.

Krislite

Medalist
While I agree with almost everything here I'm compelled to respond to a "worry podium". Why worry? I say being heavy favorites shouldn't be enough. When asked about judging being fair or too strict Julia said"we shouldn't give the judges anything negative to deduct and present only clean skating". I see nothing wrong with holding the favorites to these standards too. It might make some of them skate better and some may change up there programs to try and skate better results!!;)

Even though Julia is my #1 I see no reason not to root on Mao. Especially with changing up the back to back 3a which I was perhaps a bit over critical of. I say go get em girl and make history while doing it!

Why worry? Because it's a possibility. Look, I made no suggestion that such a result would necessarily be unfair. If Julia is clean while Kim and Asada make glaring errors she would obviously deserve to win.

bobbob

Medalist
Judges may not like +3Lo combos but they want to be the part of "history". She won't lose because of UR(s) which only slow motion can detect. When she loses, it must involve multiple visible errors.

I think that the idea of overlooking underrotated jumps just to be part of history is absolutely ludicrous.

NMURA

Medalist
The Olympic technical panel will be lenient anyway. As far as I remember, they did overlook URs of Asada's 3F, Kim's 3-3 and Flatt's 3Lz in the SP at Vancouver. Ando's 3-3 and 3F were both URed but only the 3-3 was downgraded. It was also lenient on edge calls. Only Meier's flip and Kwak's lutz were marked "e" in the FS. I think the same thing could happen at Sochi. Abandoning the lutz would be a huge loss for Asada. It's absolutely better than the second 3A.