A few questions... | Golden Skate

A few questions...

J

jsdp4ever

A few questions...

ok...i've got a few questions about skating:
1-is it possible to learn certain jumps on rollerblades? I know this is a weird question but I can't start skating until I can drive (one more year) and i've been practing certain things that are the same (crossovers, foreward/backward stroking) but i was wondering if there was a way to practice jumps...

2-Who is the tallest female singles or pairs skater that you have heard of who has made it to nationals (and what is their name and height)? I don't want to make it to nationals or anything but I was wondering if it's possible to be tall and rather good.

3-Say you've been skating several times before (i've been skating maybe 3 times...and my gym class went skating a few times too) and you took to it pretty well (only one fall the first time out...and that was when someone crashed into you). How long do you think it would take to start doing simple jumps? (i KNOW spins will take me a loooong time because i can't even do a two foot...lol)

4-I don't know if this is a question or more of a statement. Alright...here goes: I play volleyball. A LOT of volleyball. I call it my "default" sport. This is because i wanted to play a sport but I could only take one offered through school, so I chose volleyball because AT THE TIME it was the only sport that did not include running (for the record, I am now running the mile every other morning). Somewhere along the line, my parents absolutly fell in love with me playing volleyball (esp. my mom). She is TOTALLY against "girly" sports (skating) and she insists, although she says i can take lessons, that i ABSOLUTLY MUST play volleyball. (I've had horror dreams about this. I'm going to the Worlds and my volleyball coach tells me there is a vb tournament this weekend and I cant go to my competition or I will get kicked off the team) It's not like i mind volleyball or anything, and I'm definatly planing to keep playing it, but I'm afraid that if i start getting seriously into skating my mom won't let me quit (i'm talking a few years down the road). She also won't pay for skating, which I don't mind, but that means I have to work in order to pay for skating which further takes away from skating time. Finally she believes that I will only take skating during the summer (and of course, I plan to do it year round)...so I guess what I'm getting to is: Does anyone have any suggestions??

5-Pairs skating. Is 115 too heavy? (i know i'm already too tall for it, but it's the what i want to do the most, i just LOVE being part of a team...i guess i could always do syncro, but i'd rather do pairs...i know, both are several years down the road...)

6-After you are over 25, do you HAVE to enter only adult competitions? Or can you still do regular ones?

thanks!

~*Piggie*~

K

Kzarah

Re: A few questions...

Dear Miss Piggie
Regarding learning jumps on roller blades: I think there is such a things as artistic roller blading. Try going to www.google.com and type in artistic roller blading. Maybe you can only learn edge jumps on roller blades.
Daniel and Little Lulu

I

icenut84

2-Who is the tallest female singles or pairs skater that you have heard of who has made it to nationals (and what is their name and height)? I don't want to make it to nationals or anything but I was wondering if it's possible to be tall and rather good.

www.usfsa.org/team/ladies/gardandr.htm

Andrea Gardiner is 5ft7. Men skaters and male/female ice dancers are often tall compared to ladies singles/pairs skaters (pairs skaters are usually smallest)

J

jsdp4ever

Thanks icenut84!!
that makes me feel a lot better because she's the same height as me!!!
I knew ice dancers were usually taller, that's why I didn't ask about them. Thanks again!
~*Piggie*~

I

icenut84

No problemo. :) I found her bio a while ago when I was looking at the USFSA site, and it made me feel better too because I'm about 5ft8! And she's 5ft7 and doing triples! Yay! There's hope for me after all :) And Sarah Hughes is about 5ft5 I think, which isn't tall but it's taller than most ladies singles skaters at that level, and look how far she's got!

L

lilicedancer

There's a type of rollerblade called "Pic-Skates" that actually have these little rubber toepicks, and a coach at my rink once did an axel in them.

I

IcEaNgEl0587

1-yeah it's possible to learn jumps on rollar blades...i'm working on my double axel on the ice and my single axel on blades...my mom finds this funny for some reason....
2-Andrea Gardner
3-Don't expect to get jumps right away...I can take months to get a waltz jump...spins will usually come first
4-skating is not a "girlie sport" atleast not in most senses of the word...it takes just as much strength and work as anything else...if not more...tell your mom that!
5-I wish I could do pairs..but finding a partner is like impossible! Trust me iv'e tried. As for synchro...it's fun..it really gives you a chance to get close to people..and it's alot less nervewrecking than competing and intermediate long programs in front of a bunch of people.....
6-Once you get over 25 it all depends on your level. In order to compete in Intermediate (or the levels below it) I believe you have to be under 18. But when you say hit Senior you can be any age. ISI is also an option.

S

seliena ec

""Being A Ice Skater Was My Dream Before It Died&q

Hola todos y todas. Hi everyone mi name is Seliena M. I am 15 year old cuabn with chinese looking eyes mdm skin mdm bwn hair skinny long legs 5'9. My dream was to become an ice skater for as long as i can remember. I think i shouldnt matter what height you are as long as you can skate. It shouldnt be about height it should be about what you as a skater bring to the table. Your height shouldn't determine your career but you as a person should. I think ice skating shoulnt only be open to short people alone but people who actually have talent. Some skater (short) and dont really show the versatility that is needed to be an ice skater. So in the end my dream died.:( I want to become a dancer, actress, or a model but I really wanted to be an ice skater. "Skating was my life" anyone agree with me about what im saying????????