Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Danger in the Slopestyle Event!

When I watched I thought this must be how people feel watching figure skating for the first times. OK I got the doubles, triples and the grabs. Agree with Karne that you could see when they wouldn't land their tricks, though some adjusted well in the air. A lot I didn't understand, but that's what you have commentators for. I felt at home when they pointed out that it's a subjectively judged sport and that sometimes it can be better doing an easier program and go clean

Funny sport. I've seen athletes practice it in the town center where there are rails. One of the guys had a coach who was knitting something just before he sent his pupil off I don't think I will be a follower, but all right to watch now and then.

1 Sage Kotzenburg(USA)
    2 Staale Sandbech(NOR)
    3 Mark McMorris(CAN)

Sven Thorgren(SWE) just out of the podium

So the Americans didn't need Shaun White after all….

Custom Title
    Sage winning is a substantial upset. He is well respected, but he doesn't have the difficulty of a lot of other riders.

The judging had a lot to do with him winning, honestly. I don't mean that the judging was bad per say, but it was very different than it is in other events (e.g. the X Games). Normally slopestyle scores heavily reward dificulty, but it seems that the Olympic judges rewarded style and execution (especially super clean landings) well above difficulty. Also, the riders aren't familiar with the Olympic judges so they had no idea what would score well and what wouldn't.

Still, it was a great debut for Slopestyle. The final was a bit underwhelming (the scores reflect that) but it was a great contest and Sage, IMO, is pushing slopestyle in the right direction. Him winning gold will hopefully push judging away from "spin to win".

Custom Title
    There's been a bit of wuzrobbing in the Australian commentary (tends to happen when the Australian doesn't make the final ) but I only started taking it seriously when the wuzrobbing even started coming from the podium finishers...something to do with the judges not judging slopestyle before?

Ladies slopestyle tonight, and Australian television is going to implode if Torah Bright doesn't win. Fortunately she seemed the cleanest and smoothest of the ladies I saw on Thursday in the qualifying runs, so hopefully she can pull it home and we can increase our all-time gold medal tally to SIX!!!!!

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Ladies slopestyle tonight, and Australian television is going to implode if Torah Bright doesn't win. Fortunately she seemed the cleanest and smoothest of the ladies I saw on Thursday in the qualifying runs, so hopefully she can pull it home and we can increase our all-time gold medal tally to SIX!!!!!
    Sorry, I got the time wrong, and only just got the TV on in time to see my local representative, Aimee Fuller. So, I didn't get the chance to post the TV details in this thread in time.

Women's Slopestyle Semi-Final has started

Entries/Results Page
    http://www.sochi2014.com/en/snowboar...sbs-semifinals

For those that wish to watch the Women's Slopestyle Semi, it is being shown on a livestream on the BBC website, and on BBCi2.

Official BBC Livestream Channel

BBCi2 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 302 on Freeview
    Digital cable (UK only): pressing the red button on a BBC channel? (I don’t have cable, so I’m not sure)
    Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 978 on SkyDigital
    Astra 28.2E, Transponder 76 (12.551V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
    NOTE: The channel you want for the snowboarding is labelled “BBC RB 2

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The Olympic judges seemed to be very serious about judging the rails, tapping the materials doll in the head with the board, and all the obstacle course-like stuff at the top of the course. I thought it was a very exciting event.

Custom Title
    I wonder how different the judging will be in ski slopestyle - pretty sure it won't be the same judges.

Custom Title
    Apparently there has been some kerfuffle over the judging in men's snowboarding slopestyle.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2..._question.html
    Mark McMorris laid down a run with two triple corks — something so on the edge of this sport that it was done for the first time just three weeks ago — and he was beaten by someone who only did doubles.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/olymp...-system-2014-2

Yahoo's Jeff Passan did a story on how the sport is judged. Here are the basics:

Riders are graded on a 1 to 100 scale based on entirely on "overall impression."
    The judges are allowed to talk to each other, and the head judge can suggest changes.
    The official judging criteria urges judges to consider difficulty, amplitude, execution, variety, progression, and combinations. But there are no objective metrics for those factors. There's no strict definition for which tricks are more difficult than others, or by how much. The official judges manual says "difficulty is very individual" to each rider.
    The judging is being conducted by a skiing federation, the FIS, not by snowboarders.
    ^ A score based only on "overall impression"? The judges can talk to each other? No objective metrics for anything? WOW. There is finally a sport that's judged worse than figure skating

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/olymp...-system-2014-2

The judging is being conducted by a skiing federation, the FIS, not by snowboarders.
    Random FYI:

A profile of one of the Olympic slopestyle judges -- who herself is a snowboarder and snowboarding coach -- aired last night on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams.

So happens that the profiled judge is Phoebe Mills, who decades ago was an Olympic medalist in gymnastics. (Her sister is Jessica Mills, the former skater.)

Custom Title
    I have no idea about this sport but I just watched it and feel terrified by the course and how many athlete felt down.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Thank god for helmets with Sarka Pancochova's fall the other day. Saved her life by spreading the impact to crack the helmet rather than her head. She reportedly blacked out for a few seconds. According to my Czech friend, she felt sick during an interview and had to leave it early, but is fine now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Thank god for helmets with Sarka Pancochova's fall the other day. Saved her life by spreading the impact to crack the helmet rather than her head. She reportedly blacked out for a few seconds. According to my Czech friend, she felt sick during an interview and had to leave it early, but is fine now.
    She was definitely unconscious for a moment, she was rag-doll limp as she rolled down the snow.

Yuki from Canada had a worse accident in the ski slopestyle last night - a crash with such force that it ripped her helmet off, and she wasn't moving. Apparently it's "just" a broken jaw. But again, to my noteknik eye, it just looked like skiier error, not a course problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2