2014 Olympics Team Event Pairs Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Pairs Short Program

Duhamel/Radford were lovely. Canadians have had so many pairs throughout history who are just so appealing and innovative. And Volosozhar and Trankov! How commanding! They performed the music as well as skating gorgeously to it. Trankov was just eating up the spotlight, wasn't he? Both of them looked completely on and ready to dominate.

lilshorty

On the Ice
Overall, I thought this was a well skated event. I don't normally follow pairs, but when I do I like to root for the Germans (Savchenko/Szolkowy) 'cause I think they're an interesting team. But today, I saw why the Russians receive so much hype. Their triple twist and throw jump were huge!

I REALLY enjoyed the Canadians in this event. On a shallow note, Meghan's hair is so unfortunate.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Re: attendance, there is some speculation on an Olympic-themed forum I hang out in that many of the empty seats down front may have been those reserved for the "Olympic family," who often don't turn out in droves the first day or so. Don't know the truth of that but just putting it out there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re: attendance, there is some speculation on an Olympic-themed forum I hang out in that many of the empty seats down front may have been those reserved for the "Olympic family," who often don't turn out in droves the first day or so. Don't know the truth of that but just putting it out there.

Thx, BG. If the Olympic family means VIPs from the IOC and LOC and such, I think such speculation is very plausible.

Regarding the empty seats, according to a BBC article:

Two weeks before the Games, organisers reported they had sold 70% of available tickets. Vancouver 2010, by contrast, sold 97% of its tickets with London 2012 achieving a similar figure.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Watching it on HD, wow, Tatiana is one sad looking lady. All these years of harsh weather + no money to buy moisturizer and sun block, her skin is so leathery and wrinkly.
Maxim got hit with an ugly stick, someone must have hated his guts to give him that ugly haircut + ugly 'stache. They look clumsy throughout. Their PCS are ridiculous.

The Canadians have a lot of creative moves. Unfortunately it feels like work with these two. It doesn't flow or doesn't look effortless.

The Chinese look pristine to me. But not as grand as the other two.

Standing seem to be correct, but should be 70-75 range for top 3.

bobbob

Medalist
Am I the only one who has major issues with the judging, particularly in the components? How did B/H get higher components than D/R? Im convinced that D/R lost 2 points in PCS because of her hairdo, thats the only explanation for this discrepancy. Also, i find the PCS gap between P/Z and B/H too be way too much, as a matter of fact I think P/Z have better skating skills than B/H. Castelli and Shnapir were also overscored in this department, their PCS should have been 2-3 points less than P/Z and B/H. If I were judging I would give for PCS V/T 38.5, D/R 33.5, P/Z 31, B/H 31, C/S 28

Castelli/Shnapir have an outstanding program, full of transitions. Their (read: his ;)) basics aren't good but they certainly deserved one of the highest, if not the highest, TR and CH scores.

Peng/Zhang have improved their skating skills since last season but they're still mismatched and not great overall and I don't think they're better than Berton/Hotarek's.

B/H and Duhamel/Arnold were virtually tied on the PCS and that could possibly be justified since D/A have a well choreographed program with a lot of transitions but their basics are subpar. B/H have better basic skating, posture, lines and carriage. And they did present their program really well.

Over 38 points for Volosozhar/Trankov is just ridiculous. They skated to the music well enough but their basics aren't excellent and neither is their program. They're not the second coming of Brian.

bobbob

Medalist
True, I agree that V/T dont deserve that much more than the other pairs, but I've already gotten used to it because they have gotten PCS around 38 for every single sp this season.

and its duhamel and radford, not arnold.

Haha, blast from the past. :laugh: It shows that I haven't slept at all last night. :slink:

(Arnold was a pretty awful partner but their names roll off the tongue better ;))

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Am I the only one who has major issues with the judging, particularly in the components? How did B/H get higher components than D/R? Im convinced that D/R lost 2 points in PCS because of her hairdo, thats the only explanation for this discrepancy. Also, i find the PCS gap between P/Z and B/H too be way too much, as a matter of fact I think P/Z have better skating skills than B/H. Castelli and Shnapir were also overscored in this department, their PCS should have been 2-3 points less than P/Z and B/H. If I were judging I would give for PCS V/T 38.5, D/R 33.5, P/Z 31, B/H 31, C/S 28

B/H have better skating skills not to mention their presentation are miles ahead of D/R
also it helps her air positions are not as ugly as Duhamel who looks atrocious in lifts with non exiting lines, D/R PCS should be in 29/30
their PCS were way overmarked

bobbob

Medalist
B/H have better skating skills not to mention their presentation are miles ahead of D/R
also it helps her air positions are not as ugly as Duhamel who looks atrocious in lifts with non exiting lines, D/R PCS should be in 29/30

"B/H have better skating skills not to mention their presentation are miles ahead of D/R"
This is absolutely untrue. B/H have junior-ish skating skills, poor choreography, and decent interpretation but their transitions are considerably worse than D/R. D/R have pretty good skating skills and nice choreo/transitions.
"her air positions are not as ugly as Duhamel who looks atrocious in lifts with non exiting lines"
Although lifts are not the strong suit of D/R, I would never say their lifts are "atrocious and ugly". Plus, B/H's lift in the sp was a little shaky.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
B/H have junior-ish skating skills, poor choreography, and decent interpretation but their transitions are considerably worse than D/R. D/R have pretty good skating skills and nice choreo/transitions.

this ones a good joke for the Olympics :laugh:
B/H deserving ahead of PCS, P/Z too should be ahead of D/R in PCS

Please. Yes, Duhamel isn't very elegant and that can't be denied but their choreography is and always has been very good. Marcotte is a genius as far as pairs choreo goes.

bobbob

Medalist
I really wonder how D/R, P/Z, and B/H PCS will stack up against B/L and S/K. The Russians will probably come out with higher scores even though personally I prefer D/R out of the 5. B/H are junior-ish, B/L just don't match (not to mention their sbs jumps), and S/K have been creeping up there but they are still not in the top tier. P/Z are not bad and can make up lots of pts with their elements, but their components are probably the weakest of the 5, maybe tied with B/H. All 5 of these teams are still not on the tier of V/T, S/S, P/T.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I wouldn't say miles; you can but I thought DR were kind of innovative actually. Their FS is stronger.. BH really haven't quite distinguished themselves technically or artistically - just another good team.

bobbob

Medalist
I wouldn't say miles; you can but I thought DR were kind of innovative actually. Their FS is stronger.. BH really haven't quite distinguished themselves technically or artistically - just another good team.

I agree with the fact that D/R were innovative and deserved higher scores, for the short. However, I'm not a big fan of their free skate and I am not quite sure why you think "their free skate is stronger". I think we can all agree D/R's free skate is worse than their short.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Please. Yes, Duhamel isn't very elegant and that can't be denied but their choreography is and always has been very good. Marcotte is a genius as far as pairs choreo goes.

Agreed, like the sweeping catch before the throw or the entry into the death spiral... brilliant choreography! B/H are certainly better performers and deserved higher PCS, but D/R have stronger programs and much harder elements than many other teams both in terms of base value, and transitions leading into them.