Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Women's Cross Country

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Is it really time for another Cross Country race already?!

The 4x5km Relay will be starting in about 45 minutes.

Unfortunately, the BBC is NOT showing it on the TV. So, if you want to watch it, you're going to have to use the website.

Here is the livestreaming link:

Official BBC Livestreaming Channel

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for the previous competitions.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan
    Last edited by CaroLiza_fan; 02-15-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Adjusted time left to start - thought it started at 9:30 GMT, but it's actually 10:00 GMT

BIG upset in the relay!!!!

Charlotte Kalla todays hero Incredibly exciting... Kalla 25 seconds behind at the last change and first at the finish, I can't believe it, I'm so happy for her and the whole team.

Sweden's first olympic relay gold since the sixties.

Norway crumbled. Congrats to Finland and Germany, silver and bronze.

I was out when the Relay was on, but I had paused it on the computer. And boys but I was glad I did pause it! It was definitely worth the wait!

What a race!!!

Norway no-where for the whole race, having been unbeaten in the Relay since March 2009 (before the LAST Olympics!!!)

Finland out in front for the whole race, having not won the Relay since 1956.

Germany in second the whole race, waiting to pounce for the win.

Sweden in 3rd the whole race, having not been on the podium in the Relay since 1968, and not winning since 1960.

Then we had the last lap. Drama button overload time.

Charlotte Kalle started the lap 15 seconds behind the top 2. Denise Hermann then took the lead for Germany half-way round the lap, but then Krista Lahteenmaki took it back a few corners later. Meanwhile Kalla was catching them hand-over-fist.

All three entered the last corner side by side, but Kalla had the inside line, took the lead and was able to pull away. The other two diced it out for the whole of the straight, and Lahteenmaki just managed to claim the silver.

I was near wetting myself the whole lap!!!

I was gutted for Finland. I really wanted them to win, as it had been so long since they last won. But at the same time, I was delighted that Sweden finally got another podium. I just would have preferred it if it had finished the other way around.

But, on the whole, I'm very happy with the result!

And those Finnish girls are not wise! They were just so excitable when they were on the podium!!! You would not have thought they had just lost out on the Gold!

You can't help but like them after seeing that reaction!

CaroLiza_fan

This race made my day after the frustrating men's figure skating yesterday. Wohoo….

Sweden needed this gold after living in Silverland for a week.

The commentators discussed whether doing Tour de Ski or not was a good idea. Norwegian women did and don't look in best forms(or is it because of bad skis?). On the other hand all four Finnish women did TdS and seem in great form. Obviously Charlotte's training and plan(skipping TdS and the sprint) play out well so far: One gold + two silver medals. The new queen ?

Kudos to Kowalczyk for doing second leg for Poland with no medal chances. Well done Poland in 7th place.

Sad again for Kikkan who fell apart skiing first leg :( Hope she comes back in the team sprint if she is chosen.

1 Sweden
    2 Finland
    3 Germany
    4 France
    5 Norway
    6 Russia
    7 Poaland
    8 Italy
    9 USA
    10 Czech Republic

Great athletes all of them in a 'blood- sweat- and tears' sport

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post

I was gutted for Finland. I really wanted them to win, as it had been so long since they last won. But at the same time, I was delighted that Sweden finally got another podium. I just would have preferred it if it had finished the other way around.
    CaroLiza_fan
    Why, do you have relatives in Finland? Or do you just like their looks When did Finnish women win the relay at the olympics? Sweden won 1960 in Squaw Valley California. Actually on 2 000 m above sea level

Banned
    Glad to see Bjoergen the cheater with only one medal so far these Games. Hope it stays that way. Great relay today. Glad to see Kalla get a gold after being robbed of one by the man with a wig on the first race.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Why, do you have relatives in Finland? Or do you just like their looks When did Finnish women win the relay at the olympics? Sweden won 1960 in Squaw Valley California. Actually on 2 000 m above sea level
    Oh, no! I'm Irish through and through! (Well, OK, so I have an English Granny. But, she has lived 3/4 of her life in Ireland, so she may as well be Irish. Even though she still has an English accent... )

Nah, it was just that I'm really into history, and thought it would make a good story!

It was in 1956 that Finland won the Women's Relay. Incidentally, 1956 was the first running of the Women's Relay, which was 3x5km back in those days.

To win the first Women's Relay was a massive achievement. But to not win again in the next 58 years must have been a massive disappointment.

So, this would have been a golden opportunity (pardon the pun), as I can't see Norway struggling that badly again!

But, it was still a great result for Finland. And a great result for Sweden, who were coming off a 46 year run without being on the podium.

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Glad to see Bjoergen the cheater with only one medal so far these Games. Hope it stays that way.
    Explainations please ???

It was in 1956 that Finland won the Women's Relay. Incidentally, 1956 was the first running of the Women's Relay, which was 3x5km back in those days.

To win the first Women's Relay was a massive achievement. But to not win again in the next 58 years must have been a massive disappointment.

So, this would have been a golden opportunity (pardon the pun), as I can't see Norway struggling that badly again!

But, it was still a great result for Finland. And a great result for Sweden, who were coming off a 46 year run without being on the podium.

CaroLiza_fan
    Thanks for the info, but I don't think it was a disappointment for the Finnish women not to win gold. Norway was the BIG favorite. The other nations competed for silver and bronze many/I thought

LOL Sweden's relay gold is on radio and TV on and on today. Now we hope for the men to do the same.

CaroLiza_fan… I thought you didn't enjoy cross country skiing

Question: How do you include both yours and mine quotes in a post?

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Glad to see Bjoergen the cheater with only one medal so far these Games. Hope it stays that way.
    Explainations please ???
    pangtongfan reckons Bjoergen is a man in a wig....

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it was a disappointment for the Finnish women not to win gold. Norway was the BIG favorite. The other nations competed for silver and bronze many/I thought
    Well, having seen the way they were on the podium, there wasn't even an ounce of disappointment! They were absolutely delighted to get 2nd! And I don't blame them!

CaroLiza_fan… I thought you didn't enjoy cross country skiing
    Generally speaking, I don't. But, it's the Olympics! And there was nothing else on TV all day until the Ski Jumping came on...!

But, the excitement of that race might have converted me...

Question: How do you include both yours and mine quotes in a post?
    In a very round-about way!

I opened up the page again in a new window. Then clicked "Reply with quote" on my post. I then copied what was in the box, and pasted it into my reply to your post!

CaroLiza_fan

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Tough 10 km in sunny warm weather. Some skiing with sleeveless tops

Wow, Kowalzyk number one with a broken foot

2 Kalla(SWE)
    3 Johaug(NOR)
    The reaction here has been crazy, especially given the circumstances. She's front page news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The reaction here has been crazy, especially given the circumstances. She's front page news.
    Good for her Lots of athletes fightig injuries and/or other troubles...

A bit surprised that Kowalzcyk did the realy today though Wonder if she does the team sprint classic... probably not the 30 km free style?

Custom Title
    She says she still has 2 events to go - the team sprint and the 30km. She really doesn't want to let the other girls down, hence her appearance in both team runs.

Custom Title
    Happy for the Swedes winning and for Norway losing. Norwegian skiers even have the whole national industry and national resources for their service. Not even mentioning FIS completely dominated by Norway.
    Just like the Dutch in speed skating or the Koreans in short track skating. This is the reason I always go against Norway in skiing, against Dutch in speed skating and against Korean/Chinese in speed skating.
    I used to go against Russians in figure skating years ago, but I guess the tables turned around and now I cheer for them.

Just a wee reminder that the Team Sprints for both the Men and the Women are being held today

It starts with the first of the Women's Semi-Finals in about 25 minutes.

Unfortunately, the BBC is NOT starting their TV coverage on BBCi1 until 11:30 GMT, and it will just be showing the Finals. So, if you want to watch the Semi-finals, you're going to have to use the website.

Here is the livestreaming link:

Official BBC Livestreaming Channel

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for the previous competitions.

BBCi1 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 301 on Freeview
    Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 991 on Virgin Media
    Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 977 on SkyDigital
    Astra 28.2E, Transponder 45 (10.773H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
    NOTE: The channel you want for the Alpine Skiing is labelled “BBC RB 1

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

A Norwegian stream.

Finland and Poland qualified in semifinal B
    2 best in A will qualify + 6 best results overall = 10 for finals

Can I wish for Sweden, US and Norway as medalists? Or Finland

Oh, well done BBC!

There I was happily watching the Women's Semi-Finals on the livestream.

Then they put up an ident advertising the Women's Curling Semi-Final between Great Britain and Canada JUST AS THE TOP TWO IN THE SECOND SEMI WERE ENTERING THE FINISH STRAIGHT!!!!

WE DIDN'T SEE THE END OF THE RACE!!!!

After a while, it changed to an ident advertising the Team Sprint Finals.

THE PICTURE NEVER CAME BACK UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF THE FIRST MEN'S SEMI!!!!

That said, we still got the commentary the whole time there was no picture. But that's not much use when you can't see what's going on!

And I thought the way they were cutting away from the skating on the Interactive Channels was bad!

VERY POOR, BBC. VERY POOR.

It makes you wonder why we pay our license fee when they are going to do things like this...

CaroLiza_fan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast