Bizarre Scandal behind the Composer of Daisuke's SP Program's Music | Golden Skate

Bizarre Scandal behind the Composer of Daisuke's SP Program's Music

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Mamoru Samuragochi, a deaf composer of classical music and soundtracks for video games, had someone else write his pieces for more than 10 years, including his best-known score, “Hiroshima Symphony,” a lawyer representing him said Wednesday.

Samuragochi, 50, dubbed a modern Beethoven by the media because of the deafness he shares with the legendary 19th-century German composer, is also not the author of Sonatina for Violin, a piece that will accompany the short program performance of Japanese figure skater Daisuke Takahashi at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, according to the lawyer, who wished to remain completely anonymous.

“I’ve been told that there are certain circumstances that make it hard for the person (who composed the works) to come out in public, and Samuragochi has come to describe himself as the sole composer,” the lawyer said.

Samuragochi is believed to have given his ideas and images for the work he wanted to that person, who then composed the work, according to the lawyer.

Samuragochi “says it is totally inexcusable and he deeply regrets (what happened),” the lawyer said. “He is mentally distressed and not in a condition to properly express his own thoughts.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s-someone-else-writes-his-music/#.UvOnbGIYaSo

So a famous Japanese composer went deaf and decided to hire someone to compose for him. He continued this scheme for nearly 20 years in which he became more and more popular. He also happened to compose the music that Daisuke used for his SP. But that's not all.

"Japan's Beethoven," Mamoru Samuragoch* (pictured), has admitted that he is a fraud. Now, his ghost writer/composer is bringing his deafness into question.

Today in Japan, Takashi Niigaki, the admitted ghost writer/composer for Samuragoch, held a press conference in which he told his side of the story. As reported by Gadget Tsuushin: "For 18 years, I wrote songs for [Samuragoch]. I was a co-conspirator."

Samuragoch is famous for being a deaf composer. On the issue of his handicap, however, Niigaki revealed that he believed Samuragoch could still hear. The relevant Q&A between Niigaki and reporters is as follows:

Reporter: [Samuragoch] has said that he cannot hear, but was there ever an incident where you doubted this fact?

Niigaki: From the first time I met him, I never felt that his hearing was impaired.

Reporter: You said you never felt that his hearing was impaired. Could you elaborate?

Niigaki: He listened to a tape I recorded and gave me instructions accordingly.

Reporter: As to [Samuragoch's] hearing, how did it seem like to you?

Niigaki: We held normal interactions.

Reporter: Then why do you think [Samuragoch] went with that?

Niigaki: At first, he indicated that his hearing was deteriorating to me as well. But during our interactions, he returned to normal.

Reporter: Didn't [Samuragoch] attempt to hide it at all?

Niigaki: He said that this (that he couldn't hear) was how he was going to proceed.
According to Niigaki, he composed 20 songs for Samuragoch over 18 years, and received around seven million yen (US$ 68,950) for his work. P

Niigaki admitted to having doubts about the whole affair, but when he approached Samuragoch to put an end to it, Samuragoch threatened to kill himself. Niigaki finally decided to blow the whistle when he learned that figure skater Daisuke Takahashi would be performing at the 2014 Winter Olympics using music that was credited to Samuragoch. "I was conflicted as to whether I should come out now. But I thought that if I revealed the truth after Takahashi's performance, he might be criticized from around the world for using fraudulent music."

Takahashi has announced that he will still use the piece, Sonatina for Violin, for his performance.

So the composer could be an outright charlatan. Daisuke will still use this music during the Olympics. In Japanese news, his team said they had no knowledge or involvement in Samuragouchi's scandal. The information in Daisuke's ISU bio has removed Samuragouchi's name.

altuixde

On the Ice
The quote by Niigaki

"I was conflicted as to whether I should come out now. But I thought that if I revealed the truth after Takahashi's performance, he might be criticized from around the world for using fraudulent music."

doesn't really make sense. It's more likely that by revealing the truth before Takahashi's performance, Takahashi would be questioned around the world for using fraudulent music. Daisuke has done nothing wrong in regards to this scandal, but the scandal will distract attention from the real story, which is Daisuke's unmatched interpretation and performance on the ice.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm so angry that this story is News now. Even in my local newspaper, where figure skating basically doesn't exist, only if Plushenko is involved (all the other skaters are just sidenotes in history) there was a whole article about it today, mentioning Daisukes name. How in the world could it be good to reveal this now? I understand the composer, but Daisuke has been using this program for many months now. It was clear since Japanese Nationals that he would go to the Olympics. The whole timing makes me mad!

Me too, MaiKatze. And it makes Daisuke look as if he's taking part in something corrupt, when how could he possibly have known? It's like blaming someone who praises the painter Caravaggio because Caravaggio was a murderer.

Trewyn

Medalist
This has noting whatsoever to do with Takahashi's skating. It's the right thing for him to remove the 'fraudulant' composer from his bio. Other than that, the matter really shouldn't concern him.