Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Peak board usage due to Olympics

We are aware of the issue and are continuing to work hard to optimize the forum. GS, a free site, already pays an exorbitant amount for it's dedicated server. We are trying to find work-arounds without having to incorporate login to view posts (which may not help much) or moving to a new server (for which we'd have to charge members). Thanks for your patience and understanding while we analyze and work through this problem.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Very heavy volume. We are working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    We are aware of the issue and are continuing to work hard to optimize the forum. GS, a free site, already pays an exorbitant amount for it's dedicated server. We are trying to find work-arounds without having to incorporate login to view posts (which may not help much) or moving to a new server (for which we'd have to charge members). Thanks for your patience and understanding while we analyze and work through this problem.
    Thx for working on solutions. Please keep us posted.

QUESTIONS:

Are there any "best practices" that we members collectively should try to follow to avoid extraneous overload on the server?

For instance, new threads are being started for topics/questions that do not warrant their own threads -- and for topics that overlap and/or duplicate those of existing threads. Would regulating the number of new threads (if it is somehow possible to do so??) be helpful?

Hi and thanks again for your support, golden! Dictating what should have it's own thread is not something that we practice, however, I'm sure you mean duplication, right? If so, feel free to use the report button to bring it to our attention along with the thread that has the same content.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    I just got locked out for a few minutes with an error message something like ""The GS forum has exceeded the amount of users at this time".

Is this a temporary fix being instituted or something? Was kind of confused since the forum loaded to let me browse the thread and post a few times, then locked me out when I tried to post another piece of commentary.

Yes, when the server reaches a certain point, it will temporarily turn away users.

Custom Title
    Hi, I'm wondering if this site is expected to lag/not load throughout the rest of the Olympics.

Once again, we are working hard to resolve these issues. An announcement has been posted to keep everyone updated. Thanks!

just FYI, gsk8 - the announcement isn't showing up for me. Know you're working as hard as you can, wish you could sit back and enjoy the Olys!

Thanks for your understanding! The announcement should be showing up in each forum at the top of the threads (not inside the threads).

it's not showing up for me still... maybe it's a glitch on my account?

Custom Title
    I just wanted to say thanks for the site and your hard work to keep it free and open. I know folks can get frustrated when it goes down, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. Keep up the good work. Thanks again!

Thanks, we appreciate it! We are still heavily monitoring the site and will adjust accordingly as needed

Posting my thanks along with others, much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2