After the men's short program: Japan (10 points) , Russia (9) and Canada (8) lead | Golden Skate

After the men's short program: Japan (10 points) , Russia (9) and Canada (8) lead

TripleToe

Rinkside
After the men's short program: (SPOILER ALERT)

Japan in the lead (10 points) 2. Russia (9) 3. Canada (8)

Jeremy in 7 (4 points) He had a hard fall.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
sorry but chiddy ain't getting that gold medal, he just can't perform under pressure. he landed every jump perfectly in warm up and then choked badly in the actual thing

russia's gonna get gold for the team event

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
sorry but chiddy ain't getting that gold medal, he just can't perform under pressure. he landed every jump perfectly in warm up and then choked badly in the actual thing

Come on, we all know that he needs to fall at least five times to lose /s

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Come on, we all know that he needs to fall at least five times to lose /s

He stumbled once and he's already in third after Yuruzu Hanyu and Evgeni Plushenko. Mother Russia is not as forgiving.

(And five times is an utter exaggeration. Maybe two times and a stumble. But five times? No way.)

Current Overall Standings: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/figure-skating-teams-standings

1. Russia (19)
  2. Canada (17)
  3. China (15)
  4. Japan (13)
  5. Germany, France, USA (10)
  6. Etc.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Even had Patrick skated cleanly he would have been behind Hanyu, but ahead of Plushenko. In any case the team gold is already pretty much gone for Canada. Russia would have been happy to even be tied at this point, and they are already ahead.

wallylutz

Medalist
Suggestion to the OP, don't put placements or points total in your title. Some people don't want to be spoiled until they have the chance to watch in the main forum.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
my fear with jeremy's 4 point skate is that the US team won't make the medal round

Nah, have a little faith in the ladies and dance.

The person I feel most sorry for at the moment is Max Aaron. Imagine knowing how close you were to the Olympic team and then turning on your TV and seeing THAT.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's really time for Jeremy to retire. He should give up his spot at Worlds to Jason. It's time to invest in the new guys who already seem to be better competitors then Jeremy ever was.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The person I feel most sorry for at the moment is Max Aaron. Imagine knowing how close you were to the Olympic team and then turning on your TV and seeing THAT.

I dearly wish that the U.S. men had three slots, and that Max were competing in Sochi.

That said, I think Max's first and primary instinct would be to feel a lot of compassion for any skater from any country -- incl. Abbott -- who is competing under the weight of expectations.

Max understands very well that flawless run-throughs in training do not provide immunity from mishaps in competition.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
It's really time for Jeremy to retire. He should give up his spot at Worlds to Jason. It's time to invest in the new guys who already seem to be better competitors then Jeremy ever was.

Well, aren't you just a ray of endless sunshine.

Day 1 of the Sochi Olympics and people are already playing the role of disappointed parent so very well. Happy Olympics, everyone!

Becki

Medalist
I dearly wish that the U.S. men had three slots, and that Max were competing in Sochi.

That said, I think Max's first and primary instinct would be to feel a lot of compassion for any skater from any country -- incl. Abbott -- who is competing under the weight of expectations.

Max understands very well that flawless run-throughs in training do not provide immunity from mishaps in competition.

Word. Totally agree.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max totally bombed at NHK this season, so he certainly knows how it is to have a tough day on the ice.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Well, aren't you just a ray of endless sunshine.

Day 1 of the Sochi Olympics and people are already playing the role of disappointed parent so very well. Happy Olympics, everyone!

I want to agree with your sentiment but I have to admit that I too feel that Jeremy has just screwed up one too many skates after what happened today. He wallowed in the glory at U.S. Nationals and now he should seriously reflect on owning up to his failures by getting out of the way for newer blood, to give to others the chances that he has blown and continues to blow.

I feel badly for Jeremy and, over the years, I think a few of his skates have been the most beautiful that anyone has ever done, but I would never bet so much as a nickel on his coming through in the clutch, let alone bet on him as a skater in Olympics or Worlds. Is there a single person who follows Figure Skating who is surprised by how he skated today? He has been doing this yo-yo routine for too many years to count. He has had more than his fair share of chances and all he has ever done is play to the same script over and over again.

The U.S.S.F. had to know that it was playing a form of "crap shoot" with Jeremy Abbott. Sometimes when you gamble, you win, but the odds are never in your favor. Today when the dice were rolled, they came up "snake eyes". The prevailing probabilities empathically asserted themselves. That is what the U.S.S.F. has with Jeremy Abbott . . . a crap shoot. And that is how it played the Olympics by sending him.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is what the U.S.S.F. has with Jeremy Abbott . . . a crap shoot. And that is how it played the Olympics by sending him.

Truth is though that no one short of Jason Brown outskated Jeremy at the Nationals and no US man has been Olympic or World medalist caliber internationally. Abbott most definitely should have been sent to the Olympics based on his superior skating in Boston and that no one else proved their mettle to be sent in his place and since performance at the Olympics has no bearing on how many men go to Worlds next season, he definitely should be in Sochi. Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Richard Dornbush, Adam Rippon, and Ross Miner all relinquished their chance to outshine Abbott with their own disappointments this season. The US men collectively have not been reliable and consistent; it's not just Jeremy.

kresslia

Medalist
Even had Patrick skated cleanly he would have been behind Hanyu, but ahead of Plushenko. In any case the team gold is already pretty much gone for Canada. Russia would have been happy to even be tied at this point, and they are already ahead.
What even makes you say that? Patrick has scored above Hanyu's SP score before. And team gold is not gone yet (although it is Russia's to lose) when their lesser Russian pairs and ice dance teams are skating the LP. Plush's LP is also a big question mark.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Max totally bombed at NHK this season, so he certainly knows how it is to have a tough day on the ice.

Food for thought, Max's SP score of 76.21 at the NHK Trophy would have the same ordinals as Jeremy's skate. However, being three points lower than your next highest competitor sounds better than 14 points.

tung

Rinkside
Hanyu is 8 points ahead of Canadian Team after Men's SP

Patrick looked subdued and lost his usual 'fighting' look, at start, even before his competition performance.
He used his Rachmaninov SP, two years old program. Without any changes. No new input at all, while others improve and surpass, Patrick just has been stagnant, staying at the same level, just doing his best not to retrogress! What a shame, from a young 22 year old. He can't even compare to Pluyshenko, the 'oldie' he jested, who came from injury, but rebounded to a wonderful performance, with new jestures, to get 91 points overall, in front of his home crowd. Obvious result from chooosing a non-skating coach, but she looked funny, a non skater sitting amongst the Canadian team roster, the only non skating coach in the whole Rink in Sochi! What a laugh! She looked to have put on a lot of weight, since summer 2012, too. She was the only one, in the Canadian team, who looked like buddha of satisfaction, of course, after gaining most from her coaching job with the former world champion.

His performane component mark was still high, compared to the others. But his technical marks are just not good enough to lead the pack.

I was surprised that Hanyu didn't use the Women's double handed blade pull spin, in his SP. He used that spin, usually taken by women skaters, in his LP in the GPF last December, in Japan, to show his super pliable body, slim, almost like a girl's, unique/rare for a Japanese man. His spins alone would have won the Olympic event, men's single and for his home team, in Sochi. But his performance, last night, is almost at par with Patrick, the performance par excellence skater, and added to this his perfect jumps (no falls this time, he has matured, under Orser. My wife asked, why wouldn't Patrick hired Orser, like Yuna and Fernandez? I answered, Patrick's parents are careful with their money, they are not supported by any sponsors, and saving is their virtue, besides, old grudges still linger in their minds....)

Looking ahead, the chance for Canada, in the Men Single Old Medal competition, is almost certain. Gold for Japan, Silver for Russia, Canada for Bronze, or out of the podium altogether. For Patrick's future, he may quit, or start regular university, like all Chinese parents, they had saved a education fund for their son.
I would be surprised, if Patrick continues to skate competitively, after Sochi, after all, he threatened, or thought of quiting, after Vancouver 2010, after getting fourth or fifth, just before the GPF in Nice, he would not continue his career, like so many world class skaters around him, until his late twenties.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Richard Dornbush, Adam Rippon, and Ross Miner all relinquished their chance to outshine Abbott with their own disappointments this season. The US men collectively have not been reliable and consistent; it's not just Jeremy.

Joshua beat Jeremy quite handily at Skate Canada. Remember? Where Jeremy absolutely bombed the LP? Joshua was 5th and Jeremy was 7th - and it was Joshua's first Grand Prix. Max has a Grand Prix medal - Skate America, remember?

Abbott should never have been chosen purely based on his record. He has a record as long as your arm of bombing "big events". I do not understand how anyone can possibly be surprised that this has happened.

Now the US better hope that Jason really can handle the pressure as well as his skates at Nationals and TEB suggested. They're going to need him to.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joshua beat Jeremy quite handily at Skate Canada. Remember? Where Jeremy absolutely bombed the LP? Joshua was 5th and Jeremy was 7th - and it was Joshua's first Grand Prix.

Yes, but then unfortunately Farris became injured at the Rostelecom Cup and lost that momentum from Skate Canada. Then, he had a very sloppy footwork section in his SP at Nationals and had a hard fall on his quad attempt in the LP there. I LOVE Joshua, but he was not better than Jeremy at Nationals and he needed to be in order to have a shot at a Sochi spot.

Max has a Grand Prix medal - Skate America, remember?

Max won bronze at Skate America at a home nation Grand Prix where several big name skaters withdrew or did not skate (Evan Lysacek, Denis Ten, Brian Joubert) and 2 other big competitors had nightmare skates of their own (Daisuke Takahashi and Takahiko Kozuka). Abbott also won a bronze at this season's NHK Trophy. Max, like Jeremy at Skate Canada, had a huge meltdown at a Grand Prix as well when he finished a low 7th at NHK Trophy where he skated head to head against Abbott and Rippon. Max did nothing this season to prove he was more worthy of an Olympic spot than Jeremy.

Abbott should never have been chosen purely based on his record.

He wasn't chosen purely based on his record. He was chosen because overall he skated better than anybody else at Nationals.

I do not understand how anyone can possibly be surprised that this has happened.

I haven't seen a single person say they are surprised that this has happened. I'm certainly not.