Sentimental Favourites Versus Reality.. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sentimental Favourites Versus Reality..

desertskates

Medalist
I sentimentaly want to see medals for Akiko (strength of spirit) and Ashley (redemption). And for the men, I've always been a huge Tomas Verner fan, If he could pull out a miracle here, I would be a happy girl :)

Sackie

Medalist
My sentimental side just wishes the judges would mark by how the skaters skate here and not on how great they use to be or on what country they are from.
Oh - OK maybe I should say my out of my mind side cause I know this will not happen cause we have already seen in the Team results this is not going to be the case.

fredtx121

On the Ice
Sentimental Favorites for me are
Davis and White
Daisuke Takahashi
Akiko Suzuki
Savachenko and Szolkowy

Prediction(Reality)
Davis and White
Yuzuru Hanyu
Yuna Kim
Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov

Seyonne

Rinkside
I'm a general fan of skating. I don't have any real favorites. I am sentimental, though. I like to spread the wealth. I want to see skaters win gold who haven't yet. I would prefer if the five gold medals went to five different countries.

treeloving

Medalist
This is people who will likely cost me nervous breakdown when they skate in each discipline :

HANYU (but if he bomb , I will be so nervous for any other skaters as I really do not want to see Plushenko getting another gold, although I respect him as competitor ,his program haunt me)

Kostner and Mao (Akiko too) - love Kostner's artistry but if Mao land all her triple without ur and does her program emotionally like at world 2010 free skate then she must win!
Aliona and Robin
Davis and White

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sentimental Favourites for me:

Mens:
Chan (for Canada's first gold, and to cap off a dominant quadrennial)
Takahashi (one of the best artists to ever take the ice, and I would love for him to get his redemption after Japanese Nationals)

Ladies:
Suzuki (lovely spirit, and would give me the most joy to see her win, especially when her federation hasn't always supported her)
Asada (I felt 2006 could have been her time and she was robbed of that, although it gave us another 8 years of her, instead of going ala Baiul/Lipinski)

Pairs:
S/S (if they lost, they'd be one of the best pairs teams to never win an Olympics)

Ice Dance:
D/W (I want to see the golds split between V/M and D/W, as both teams deserve golds for their stellar contributions to furthering ice dancing to a new stratosphere)

Ven

Match Penalty
*Tip toes* into this thread--Mao Asada is my sentimental favorite. When she was the best skater in the world she was too young to go to the Olympics, then when she was old enough Yuna was better. She struggled through relearning jumps and now she gets a 2nd chance at winning an Olympic gold medal and I really want her to win it.

Amazing

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for a few loved skaters to get their wishes, Like Asada, Fernandez, Kostner and S\S,

But the two i find it hard to watch when they skate because it's so much pressure are Plushenko and Wagner

ntk87

On the Ice
Hello!
My sentimental favorites are Javier Fernandez (I´m Spanish, you know), and Volosozhar/Trankov.
I see most people believe that V / T are clear winners, but I'm not sure how they are going to act under pressure...

gnom

On the Ice
My sentimental favorites are Daisuke Takahashi, Carolina Kostner and Savchenko/Szolkowy. Wish them all the best, clean and memorable performances, a podium finish for Daisuke and Carolina and Gold for S/S. Besides I hope for brilliant skates by the Japanese girls.

BlackPack

Medalist
Some skaters have been around for so long that they seem like lifelong friends.

I would love to see the following skate their potential: Dai, Aliona & Robin, Pang & Tong, Weaver & Poje (though they're more future rather than present contenders), Caro, Abbott...

I'm happy to see Dai mentioned so often. The less popular Pang & Tong are also mentioned several times. I'm pleased!

LeCygne

Final Flight
Mao Asada :love: I think it would make my year if she finally won. I'd never ask the skating gods for anything again. :laugh: But actually, I hope the ladies podium is some combination of Mao, Yu-Na, and Carolina. I love Gracie and Julia is phenomenal, but I really don't want Julia to win OGM. After 6.0 I really thought the days of Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes were over, and I liked the Torino and Vancouver ladies podiums... I wouldn't be surprised if COP was due for a major overhaul (at least in PCS) post-Sochi.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Probably easiest for me to answer by doing a podium comparison

CaroLiza_fan

Podium by Sentimentality
Ladies:
1. Mao Asada
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Carolina Kostner

Men:
1. Evgeniy Plushenko
2. Daisuke Takahashi
3. Tomáš Verner

Pairs:
1. Pang Qing / Tong Jian

Dance:
1. Nathalie Péchalat / Fabian Bourzat

CaroLiza_fan, thank you for speaking for me! :) Let me allow to add Brian Joubert for Men's bronze, along with Tomas, though, please? ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan, thank you for speaking for me! :) Let me allow to add Brian Joubert for Men's bronze, along with Tomas, though, please? ;)

Awww. I forgot all about Brian!

How on Earth did I manage to miss him???!!! Like, I love Brian Joubert!!!

Yeah, give Brian the bronze! And Tomas can have the "Pewter" medal (as the Americans would say!)

Thank you for liking my assessment! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan