Is USA out of team event already? | Golden Skate

Is USA out of team event already?

TripleToe

Rinkside
USA - They're technically in 7th after men and pairs shorts.

Only 5 teams advance to the next competition. the other 5 are out (didn't qualify)

U.S. Figure Skating said they're in 5 place, tied with Germany and France (the 3 countries with 10 points) but standing table show Germany in 5, France in 6 and USA in 7.

According to rules If countries tie, all advance to next competition but I'm checking the rules and I think USA didn't qualify, they already broke the tie that's why the standing are 5.Germany6.France7.USA if this is the case how unfortunate! Jeremy had a bad day didn't help the team at all, and Marissa and Simon had a mistake It's sucks that Charlie and Meryl are next and they can help the team so much to the point to put them on podium :( hope Germany, France and USA all advance.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

U.S. Figure Skating said they're in 5 place, tied with Germany and France (the 3 countries with 10 points) but standing table show Germany in 5, France in 6 and USA in 7.

According to rules If countries tie, all advance to next competition but I'm checking the rules and I think USA didn't qualify, if this is the case how unfortunate, Jeremy had a bad day didn't help the team at all, and Marissa and Simon had a mistake It's sucks that Charlie and Meryl are next and they can help the team so much to the point to put them on podium :( hope Germany, France and USA all advance.

Considering Meryl and Charlie are probably going to get 1 or 2, I'd wait until further notice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

According to rules If countries tie, all advance to next competition but I'm checking the rules and I think USA didn't qualify, if this is the case how unfortunate, Jeremy had a bad day didn't help the team at all, and Marissa and Simon had a mistake It's sucks that Charlie and Meryl are next and they can help the team so much to the point to put them on podium :( hope Germany, France and USA all advance.

I don't think the U.S. is out of it.

Meryl and Charlie will score at least 9, if not 10, points in the SD.

Here's how I think Ice Dance will go in worse case scenario for the U.S.:

1.) Canada
2.) USA
3.) Russia
4.) France
5.) Italy
6.) Great Britain
7.) Germany
8.) Japan
9.) China
10.) Ukraine

Standings after Ice Dance

Russia: 27
Canada: 27
USA: 19
China: 17
France: 17
Japan: 16
Italy: 16
Germany: 14
Great Britain: 8
Ukraine: 6

Here's how I think Ladies will go with a top 5 finish from Ashley Wagner.

1.) Japan
2.) Russia
3.) Italy
4.) Canada
5.) United States
6.) France
7.) China
8.) Germany
9.) Ukraine
10.) Great Britain

Standings after Ladies:

Russia:36
Canada: 34
Japan: 26
United States: 25
Italy: 24
---
France: 22
China: 21
Germany: 17
Great Britain: 9
Ukraine: 8

Here's doomsday with Ashley in 7th:

1.) Japan
2.) Russia
3.) Italy
4.) Canada
5.) France
6.) China
7.) United States
8.) Germany
9.) Ukraine
10.) Great Britain

Russia: 36
United States: 23
France: 23
China: 22

So basically U.S. and France are in a tie breaker situation. The first tie breaker is the two highest places. Davis and White/Castelli and Shnapir have 15 points. The highest ranked French in my scenario would be Pechalat and Bourzat in 4th and either Amodio/Mettie in 5th. 7+ 6 = 13. U.S. wins tiebreaker and the 5th spot.

Now for more fun, let's consider what could happen if Russia and France switched places.

The after Ice Dance scenario:
Canada: 27
Russia: 26
USA: 19
France: 18
China: 17
Japan: 16
Italy: 16
Germany: 14
Great Britain: 8
Ukraine: 6

Then after the doomsday Ashley scenario:
Russia: 35
France: 24
United States: 23

U.S. is out. if P/B beat B/S and Ashley places in 7th.

However if only the first part happens (P/B beat B/S) and Ashley manages 6th:

Russia: 35
United States: 24
---
France: 23

U.S. is in and France is out.

My brain hurts. :p

TripleToe

Rinkside
but I mean, Charlie and Meryl can't compete If team USA didn't qualify for ice dance, only 5 teams advance to next competition and team USA is in 7 :(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
but I mean, Charlie and Meryl can't compete If team USA didn't qualify for ice dance, only 5 teams advance to next competition and team USA is in 7 :(

Why would Meryl and Charlie be unable to compete?

Actually don't answer that. No more jinxing!

louisa05

Final Flight

You've got it wrong. All ten teams compete in short programs in all four disciplines then the top five teams advance for the free skates. We are only halfway through the short program section of the competition. And Meryl & Charlie are likely to save the day as Mrs. P has forecasted. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You've got it wrong. All ten teams compete in short programs in all four disciplines then the top five teams advance for the free skates. We are only halfway through the short program section of the competition. And Meryl & Charlie are likely to save the day as Mrs. P has forecasted. :)

And I hope Ashley. :)

TripleToe

Rinkside

Oh THANK YOU :D You just made my day :biggrin: I really thought they were kinda out since a person from AP tweeted about it.

TripleToe

Rinkside
Alright let's stop the thread I'm afraid of jinxing everyone :D let's wish them the best of luck haha

bramweld

Record Breaker
They have D/W and Ashley. So if they perform as they should. They could leapfrog a few places right?

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
This is all so dramatic. The US is still favoured for a bronze IMO. No need to panic.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I would be very surprised if USA doesn't make team finals, even now. They'd need another complete disaster to miss (and even then, the right teams would need to take advantage of it).

That SP by Jeremy may be the difference between a 3rd and 4th finish, though. We'll see.