Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Is USA out of team event already?

Banned
    U.S pretty much has the bronze locked up now. Even if in mens they are 4th to Japan's 1st, and in womens 4th to Japan's 1st (somewhat unlikely in the latter IMO) they would still secure the bronze with a at worst 2nd in the dance (unlikely to not be 1st) vs Japan's certain 5th place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    We have to keep in mind that the Olympics is not the World Championship. The World Championship is where, in all sobriety, we try to determine who are the best skaters in the world. The Olympics, in contrast, is where we get to wave flags, shout USA USA or Ausie Ausie Ausie. It is a made-for-TV spectacle. For viewers in the United States anyway, the ladies' team gymnastic competition is the best of the best -- Ha ha, take that you villainous Romanians!
    The Fierce Five Rule!

Of course, the Olympics weren't invented for television, but the the team skating competition and other events have been added recently to get more interest in the Olympic Games. All the cool snowboarding events (and other X Games events) were added so that younger people would be more interested in the Olympics (including competing in these sports, not just watching them).

I found the team competition a little bit useless. We are all (skaters and fans) waiting for the individual events and I don't think anyone considered the team event important (maybe the Russians). It's not a criteria, just a remark: it also started before the opening ceremony. I enjoyed watching some great programs, but I could live without the team event and all the substantiated comments about Russians being overscored.

edit: btw, "villainous Romanians" accept that our gymnastics team is not competitive anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    I found the team competition a little bit useless. We are all (skaters and fans) waiting for the individual events and I don't think anyone considered the team event important (maybe the Russians). It's not a criteria, just a remark: it also started before the opening ceremony. I enjoyed watching some great programs, but I could live without the team event and all the substantiated comments about Russians being overscored.
    Its a chance at an Olympic medal. I doubt the skaters "don't care." The look on Gracie Gold's face while Abbot was bombing said it all, an Wagner looked like she absolutely cared getting ready to do her short.

Sure they probably prioritize the individual. But its still an Olympic medal, and I'm sure for those who have little to no shot at an Olympic medal in the team event, it certainly matters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post

edit: btw, "villainous Romanians" accept that our gymnastics team is not competitive anymore
    I assure you everyone on the Canadian and American teams will be thrilled to get an Olympic medal. I assure you that the Russian, Canadian and American media will be thrilled about those teams winning a medal. There are also some teams out of contention (especially the German and British teams) that seemed to be having a ball.

I think the format is flawed, but I also think that Sochi proves that conceptually a team event in figure skating works. The team kiss and cry shots are pure gold.

Medalist
    Why not just put synchro in, it's a team event

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ballerynna View Post
    Why not just put synchro in, it's a team event
    Requires a nontrivial amount of athletes. Holding a team event with athletes that are already there and already stars is way more attractive for the IOC.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    File under "Class Act" :

‏@MaxTAaron
    Congrats to Team USA and @USFigureSkating on a well deserved Olympic Medal! You guys made us all Proud! #GoTeamUSA
    6:46 PM - 9 Feb 2014
    https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron/status/432707161731252224

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11