Is USA out of team event already? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is USA out of team event already?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This puts a lot of pressure on Gold, being the second last to skate for Team USA. It can be projected that D/W will be a strong anchor but it will be up to her to catch up as Brown will likely come 4th (maybe 3rd) and C/S might get 4th (but likely 5th again). USA is really lucky Japan has poor pairs/ice dance teams but they can place no lower than 5th anyways in the FS/FD so it might not be enough.

Really the key performance will be Wagner's as if she is lower than 5th (and it is possible if she messes up her 3-3 that Mao, Kostner, or a clean Julia, Li, Osmond or even Meite could best her).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This puts a lot of pressure on Gold, being the second last to skate for Team USA. It can be projected that D/W will be a strong anchor but it will be up to her to catch up as Brown will likely come 4th (maybe 3rd) and C/S might get 4th (but likely 5th again). USA is really lucky Japan has poor pairs/ice dance teams but they can place no lower than 5th anyways in the FS/FD so it might not be enough.

Really the key performance will be Wagner's as if she is lower than 5th (and it is possible if she messes up her 3-3 that Mao, Kostner, or a clean Julia, Li, Osmond or even Meite could best her).

Zijun Li is not skating in the team event, in the SP at least.

^ True. In reality, nothing much has changed. Canada and Russia will fight it out for gold and silver, and USA is the leading candidate for bronze.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Do you really think Meite, the chinese lady or Osmond can compete with Wagner? Even with a fall she might have enough to hold them off - although interesting enough if Wagner skates clean and the judges mark her like last year I guess she could beat Ashley. I think USA is a lock for making the finals with Davis and White still to skate and they have a good shot against Japan and maybe Canada if Ashley can distinguish herself enough from Osmond and there are enough skaters between them It would help if canada went with Reynolds and Weaver and Poje in the free programs although both is unlikely as it looks like they are switching pairs for sure.

I'm at a lost, don't all skaters skate for gold in each event. What is ment by team gold?

The new "team competition" is going on right now. Each member of the winning team (Russia is ahead so far) will win a gold medal in the team event. The individual competitions will take place later in the week.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you really think Meite, the chinese lady or Osmond can compete with Wagner? Even with a fall she might have enough to hold them off - although interesting enough if Wagner skates clean and the judges mark her like last year I guess she could beat Ashley. I think USA is a lock for making the finals with Davis and White still to skate and they have a good shot against Japan and maybe Canada if Ashley can distinguish herself enough from Osmond and there are enough skaters between them It would help if canada went with Reynolds and Weaver and Poje in the free programs although both is unlikely as it looks like they are switching pairs for sure.

I think Ashley will come in 4th. This is like the Grand Prix Final all over again, with the addition of Kostner. Ashley has skated her short program well all season, with the exception of Nationals. I don't see Osmond or Li overtaking her. Or Meite--that would be the biggest upset in years!

louisa05

Final Flight
why not? she will score big if she is clean I expect in 130-140 range , judges love Gracie !
she racks high GOEs in her big jumps and with she can shoot up the PCS with no Mao in the FS
her consistency has improved since nationals

I say she has the best shot
because of her improved artistry, ideal body type, has the facial beauty, speed, power, huge jumps
to rack in TES and PCS

Remind me again what the TES base value for "facial beauty" is? I looked at the criteria for components scores and it isn't listed there, so I assume it garners tech points? :sarcasm:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think Ashley will come in 4th. This is like the Grand Prix Final all over again, with the addition of Kostner. Ashley has skated her short program well all season, with the exception of Nationals. I don't see Osmond or Li overtaking her. Or Meite--that would be the biggest upset in years!

I agree. In a best case scenario, Ashley will probably end up 4th behind Mao, Julia and Carolina. If Carolina has issues, she might move up to 3rd. As long as Ashley delivers her program solidly, she doesn't have much to worry about.

There's a slight question mark over her head but I'm choosing to give her the benefit of the doubt based on her past performances. I'm crossing my fingers she will hold it together and not "pull a Jeremy"...then again Jeremy has never been known as a consistent skater/competitor. Ashley's consistency has taken a hit in the last few months but if anyone has the mental strength to bounce back, I think it's her.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I also think it'll be 3 or 4 for Ashley. This is a strong program for her and she has only messed it up once. But as much as I like the program, the dress irks me. I'd love to see her tomorrow in something cleaner looking like this, but in black: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/f...n-Pictures/Nancy-Kerrigan-02-25-1994.-Pi2.htm

Nah, that's too glam for a Pink Floyd program. I think the dress fits the music pretty well. Sexy and a little daring...it's a well packaged program. What I'm interested in seeing is what dress she's going to use for her "Romeo & Delilah" FS. Yellow one again? I thought the dress fit the program pretty well once they toned the color down and it definitely stood out...BUT...new-ish program needs a new dress IMO.

I wonder if anyone else will be changing their SP/FS dresses? I really hope Adelina does...good GOD I want someone to take her and fix her. I love so many things about her BUT she's a tacky mess out there half the time.:unsure: The gloves are horrible on principle but the fact that they don't match her skin tone is ten times worse; her tights are too dark for her skin tone as well; her dresses are usually tacky/unappealing though I do think her newer SP dress is a step up from her previous one. She needs a stylist in the worst way...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree. In a best case scenario, Ashley will probably end up 4th behind Mao, Julia and Carolina. If Carolina has issues, she might move up to 3rd. As long as Ashley delivers her program solidly, she doesn't have much to worry about.

There's a slight question mark over her head but I'm choosing to give her the benefit of the doubt based on her past performances. I'm crossing my fingers she will hold it together and not "pull a Jeremy"...then again Jeremy has never been known as a consistent skater/competitor. Ashley's consistency has taken a hit in the last few months but if anyone has the mental strength to bounce back, I think it's her.

Not saying it will happen again but remember Ashley did beat a clean Julia in the SP at the Grand Prix final, and since a clean Julia has easily been beating a clean Kostner in the SP this year, Ashley could do better than 4th if she really has a very clean triple flip-triple toe and great skate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Not to mention why even assume Kostner will do a clean short. Ashley might not too but she is more likely to do one than Kostner is IMO.

Icey

Record Breaker
The team event is too reminiscent of those made for tv competitions. And why is there so much misunderstanding about how they are conducted? I hope they are done away with after this Olympics.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Not saying it will happen again but remember Ashley did beat a clean Julia in the SP at the Grand Prix final, and since a clean Julia has easily been beating a clean Kostner in the SP this year, Ashley could do better than 4th if she really has a very clean triple flip-triple toe and great skate.

In a fair world, yes Ashley should beat out Julia in terms of PCS. But seeing as how this event is in Russia and the fact that Julia is a favorite to win it all and the fact that she just won Euros, I'm expecting to see a lot of inflation where she is concerned especially if she skates cleanly. If everyone skates cleanly I'd expect to see Ashley 4th, though she'd deserve to be 2nd or 3rd.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In a fair world, yes Ashley should beat out Julia in terms of PCS. But seeing as how this event is in Russia and the fact that Julia is a favorite to win it all and the fact that she just won Euros, I'm expecting to see a lot of inflation where she is concerned especially if she skates cleanly. If everyone skates cleanly I'd expect to see Ashley 4th, though she'd deserve to be 2nd or 3rd.

Probably but Asada and Kostner can both make mistakes in the SP although Asada can probably afford one (in this event, not the individual when she faces Kim and Julia's consistent LP).

jcsamex

Rinkside
The team event is too reminiscent of those made for tv competitions. And why is there so much misunderstanding about how they are conducted? I hope they are done away with after this Olympics.

I strongly disagree. I believe this event has brought a new vibe to figure skating events at the Olympics. It's like a preview of whats to come and increases the drama sports like figure skating need to caught more attention from people who don't usually watch skating competitions.

I see why it could be somewhat distracting for some athletes but it could be a good thing for the sport as I think, for instance, in the future we'll see stronger pairs and ice dancers from Japan.