Is USA out of team event already? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Is USA out of team event already?

Ven

Match Penalty
If the team event went after the individuals, how would it be any different than Worlds in an Olympic year? Some of the top skaters would just bow out, and it would be a consolation prize for the losers basically.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
If the team event went after the individuals, how would it be any different than Worlds in an Olympic year? Some of the top skaters would just bow out, and it would be a consolation prize for the losers basically.

because there'd be less strategy about how to not tire out their best skaters and putting on second stringers, and it'd be an actual competition between the actual best skaters the sport has to offer

and of course it's a consolation prize, but a medal is still a medal. still more olympic medals you or i will ever get (presumably, i don't know your life)

Please don't become like gymnastics.

We have to keep in mind that the Olympics is not the World Championship. The World Championship is where, in all sobriety, we try to determine who are the best skaters in the world. The Olympics, in contrast, is where we get to wave flags, shout USA USA or Ausie Ausie Ausie. It is a made-for-TV spectacle. For viewers in the United States anyway, the ladies' team gymnastic competition is the best of the best -- Ha ha, take that you villainous Romanians!

Ven

Match Penalty
because there'd be less strategy about how to not tire out their best skaters and it'd be an actual competition between the actual best skaters the sport has to offer

Not really. D/W win OGM, and Abbot and Wagner bomb and the US is in 5th going to the free skate, you really think they want to stick around and skate more to not medal after they already achieved their moment of glory? Same for other skaters. It would just turn into a consolation prize for the losers.

Edit:
or even worse, imagine D/W beat V/M for OGM. You think they want to give V/M another chance to beat them in the team event? Or vice versa?

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Not really. D/W win OGM, and Abbot and Wagner bomb and the US is in 5th going to the free skate, you really think they want to stick around and skate more to not medal after they already achieved their moment of glory? Same for other skaters. It would just turn into a consolation prize for the losers.

uh yeah because two medals is better than one. and you underestimate the competitive spirit of some of these athletes. you don't become a figure skater or go to the olympics to make lots of money

Barb

Record Breaker
the team event going before the individual will result in the same doubts, though. how do you know yuzuru isn't going to bomb in the individual after skating fantastictally yesterday? it's all about consistency

yes, but that´s fine, Yuzu had a great performance and Japan won´t get medal anyway, the individual competition is the important event, if for example, the USA team get the bronze medal, it would not the same for the pairs or ladies than an individual medal, yes, they have a bronze olympic medal but not because them, but their teamates, the individual medal is the most valued and important thing.

chloepoco

Medalist
Why don't we all wait to see how this pans out before shooting it down? Anything new takes time to settle in. So far, I'm liking what I see. What's not to like--it's more figure skating for us to watch!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
yes, but that´s fine, Yuzu had a great performance and Japan won´t get medal anyway, the individual competition is the important event, if for example, the USA team get the bronze medal, it would not the same for the pairs or ladies than an individual medal, yes, they have a bronze olympic medal but not because them, but their teamates, the individual medal is the most valued and important thing.

True, but "Olympic medalist" still does have a nice ring to it...
And it looks good on a marquee.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
True, but "Olympic medalist" still does have a nice ring to it...
And it looks good on a marquee.

Um, if Japan or China wins bronze, there will be ice dance teams that have that "Olympic medalist" attached to it. This team event is an added medal, but it has everything to do with being a well-rounded country and not necessarily skaters performing well... it pales in comparison to individual glory and people need to get over it. I think the team event format is interesting and possibly "primes" skaters for their individual event by getting jitters out of the way, but good lord, it's so obvious that only 4 or 5 countries have a shot at a medal and 2 or 3 have a shot at gold. As mentioned, Russia and Canada have 3 solid disciplines whereas the US only has 1, maybe 2 (if we count ladies). Japan only has 2 solid disciplines.

Ven

Match Penalty
Um, if Japan or China wins bronze, there will be ice dance teams that have that "Olympic medalist" attached to it. This team event is an added medal, but it has everything to do with being a well-rounded country and not necessarily skaters performing well... it pales in comparison to individual glory and people need to get over it. I think the team event format is interesting and possibly "primes" skaters for their individual event by getting jitters out of the way, but good lord, it's so obvious that only 4 or 5 countries have a shot at a medal and 2 or 3 have a shot at gold. As mentioned, Russia and Canada have 3 solid disciplines whereas the US only has 1, maybe 2 (if we count ladies). Japan only has 2 solid disciplines.

People who know nothing about figure skating asked me "so what's up with this Team Event thing? Is it even necessary?"

I told them it's just something to give big countries (Canada, Russia, USA) another medal and more bragging rights.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...e-diaries-two-and-a-half-men-hit-lows/235248/

19.56 million, 5.8 demo

almost got beat by the big bang theory lol

Huh? Almost got beat by BBT?? That's a stretch.

NBC The Olympics (8-11PM) 5.8/16 19.56
CBS The Big Bang Theory 5.0/15 17.02

~~~~~~~

BONUS NIGHT OF OLYMPICS COVERAGE ON NBC POSTS BEST THURSDAY PRIMETIME RATING & VIEWERSHIP ON ANY NETWORK SINCE SEPTEMBER
Average of 20 Million Viewers for Last Night’s Pre-Opening Ceremony Coverage
In Adults 18-49, NBC Exceeds Combined Total of Other Broadcast Nets
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ng-viewership-on-any-network-since-september/

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Huh? Almost got beat by BBT?? That's a stretch.

NBC The Olympics (8-11PM) 5.8/16 19.56
CBS The Big Bang Theory 5.0/15 17.02

~~~~~~~

BONUS NIGHT OF OLYMPICS COVERAGE ON NBC POSTS BEST THURSDAY PRIMETIME RATING & VIEWERSHIP ON ANY NETWORK SINCE SEPTEMBER
Average of 20 Million Viewers for Last Night’s Pre-Opening Ceremony Coverage
In Adults 18-49, NBC Exceeds Combined Total of Other Broadcast Nets
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ng-viewership-on-any-network-since-september/

Also I had a lot of people on my Facebook feed that said they watched it. One of them noted that her 4-year-old daughter liked the "boy figure skaters." Not one in particular, mind you, just them in general. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well I think the current format is also kinda dumb, because the nations aren't even using their best skaters in many cases. Having Kevin Reynolds skate the LP for Canada, ..... it makes the competition a bit illegitimate in my opinion.

Has Skate Canada officially announced that Reynolds is its choice for the FS?

FWIW, Patrick is conspicuously absent from this super-cute Opening Ceremony group photo of the Team Canada skaters.

ETA:
BUT in posts below, others have confirmed that Patrick DID attend the Opening Ceremony. :)

All of Skate Canada's first-time Olympians are in their official marching attire.

Of those in the photo, the only exception is Capt. Scott (re his clothing). (Asst. Capt. Tessa also is missing from the photo entirely.)

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
looks like all of them except scott are heading off to the opening ceremony, i guess chan decided not to go to rest for the event and not headcase himself out

Has Skate Canada officially announced that Reynolds is its choice for the FS?

no they'll do that the day before the free skate. they can also kiss their gold medal goodbye in the same announcement

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Essentially, that's what it comes down to. Jeremy's very bad placement put more pressure on everyone else to deliver. They can't afford for D/W not to place 1st or 2nd and Ashley has to deliver to stay in the top 5. There isn't any breathing room for anyone else...

I'm very confident D/W will deliver and I'm semi-confident Ashley will do well enough to stay in the top 5...that's all they need to make it to the FS.

As our old friend Tony Wheeler pointed out on his Twitter, after DW skate, the US will be in third place. Ashley would have to implode for the US not to make the cut. If DW are first and I am reading it right, Ashley could come in as low as 7th (behind Meite and Zhang) and the US would still make the cut.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
looks like all of them except scott are heading off to the opening ceremony, i guess chan decided not to go to rest for the event and not headcase himself out

no they'll do that the day before the free skate. they can also kiss their gold medal goodbye in the same announcement

ETA:
Please ignore the rest of this post. Others below have confirmed that Patrick DID attend the Opening Ceremony. :)

But I'm confused.

If Chan will not be skating the Team FS, why would he skip the Opening Ceremony? The Individual Men's SP is not until Thursday. Why would he be so cautious about resting today ... to the point of missing a twice-in-a-lifetime honor/privilege/experience??

Skate Canada tweeted the same or a very similar photo - again, sans Chan and Virtue.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
If Chan will not be skating the Team FS, why would he skip the Opening Ceremony? The Individual Men's SP is not until Thursday. Why would he be so cautious about resting today ... to the point of missing a twice-in-a-lifetime honor/privilege/experience??

because patrick chan is patrick chan and you can set your watch to him headcasing and not performing under pressure. he probably decided to get some rest and maybe try absorb some of tessa and scott's mental fortitude by ozmosis. he's under a lot of pressure to deliver considering he flopped so dramatically in vancouver and early signs from the team event is that he's going to have a hard time again against hanyu even if he does skate clean

which he won't because it's patrick chan

(or maybe he did go and he's just not in the picture because he had to go to the toilet, WHO KNOWS)

edit: and i'm 99% sure he's not doing the fs, he talked about the team event being a relay and passing the baton on to kevin or some crap

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
edit: and i'm 99% sure he's not doing the fs, he talked about the team event being a relay and passing the baton on to kevin or some crap

Ugh. Well, I'm still holding out hope he'll change his mind. (And that he'll manage to be clean for the rest of the Olympics.)

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Sorry, Chan haterz, but Patrick was at the Opening Ceremony. CBC showed him sitting in the stands with speed skater Christine Nesbitt.

When I saw Kevin Reynolds at the Opening Ceremony, I figured, that nails it, Patrick is skating the free program after all. But after CBC showed Patrick, I realized the mystery of who skates the free program remains unsolved.