Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media

nagoya

Rinkside
:clap:
Abbott won nationals with the 4-3 in the short. He earned/deserved his shot. He had very good practices in Sochi through this morning, landing his quad combo and 3A, then had a shaky warm up and disaster skate.

He has apologized to the team members.

He's a great skater and a not-so-great competitor.

Do you really think he's put in 4 years of pain planning to bomb?

Geeez. He has apologized.

He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially. Plus he has to live with knowing he let his team members down, so he'll suffer emotionally. And it sounds like that is what you all want. Or would suicide be preferable?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I'm also with Centerpt.

1. IF clean, he's the only skater who can touch Chan's PCS and challenge for podium.
2. Everyone is on the Brown bandwagon right now but there's no elegance or maturity in his skating style.
3. It's classless to cruelly slam an athlete from your own country after 1 weak performance out of 3. Classless. :mad:

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially.

I don't know. I don't really think so. I don't think the general public is going to keep this on their minds. It's not like he was someone expected to do amazingly well. And if Steven Cousins could have a long pro career with no Olympic or world medals (and less international medals than Jeremy), I think Jeremy could still have a good shot for a professional career. He is very good with the artistry. I enjoyed seeing him at Stars On Ice the year he skated on that tour.

Barb

Record Breaker
this competition is not so important anyway, they are NOT a TEAM really, it is not like soccer, football, baseball, those figure skaters train individually and their country put them together for this competition, that´s all, the arena was half empty and it is even the olympic games, no one cares enough.

wootie

Match Penalty
Unfortunately, I think Jeremy's legacy in figure skating will be dubious. He is certainly a talented skater who has the potential to be very good. However, I think his obvious ability will be overshadowed by the fact that he never had the mental and emotional fortitude to be competitive in the international arena. Some figure skaters, especially the Olympic champions, just have that "thing" that separates them from the rest. Jeremy Abbott simply doesn't have that thing. Too bad.

dardar1126

On the Ice
I don't know. I don't really think so. I don't think the general public is going to keep this on their minds. It's not like he was someone expected to do amazingly well. And if Steven Cousins could have a long pro career with no Olympic or world medals (and less international medals than Jeremy), I think Jeremy could still have a good shot for a professional career. He is very good with the artistry. I enjoyed seeing him at Stars On Ice the year he skated on that tour.

I agree. I doubt Jeremy's professional career will be affected...his four national titles will count more, as well as his artistry and performance skills.

louisa05

Final Flight
I doubt Jeremy's professional career will be affected...his four national titles will count more, as well as his artistry and performance skills.

Do we even know if Jeremy wants a professional skating career?

Of all people, Kwan does not have or desire one. Maybe he doesn't either. Maybe he has other plans and interests.

Either way, I doubt this one event is a deterrent to that. A lot of people with short international resumes have done just fine in show skating. Caryn Cadavy won no U.S. titles, one World medal and withdrew from her only Olympics yet managed to be in many professional shows. Granted, the opportunities are not as abundant now as they were for her. Michael Weiss is still scheduling shows with one fewer U.S. title than Jeremy, a couple of World bronze medals and two 7th place Olympic finishes. Rachael Flatt has appeared in numerous events with nothing but one U.S. title. Emily Hughes with no U.S. title, no World medals. And the list goes on and on.

With regard to the Detroit News article posted in the first post, I have to give the writer a two-point deduction. It's "far from the madding crowd," not maddening. ;)

marcolee925

Rinkside
Abbott was doing what he always did. In that sense he was very predictable. Predictably unreliable.

It was USFS that was stupid enough to rely on him instead of the much more consistent Brown (with less scoring potential).

So why yell at Abbott when it was USFS that made the wrong bet?!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I actually think the crowd in Boston should get blamed. They had to tell Jeremy to get into his starting position....

Jeremy's performance is well its Jeremy. Calling it just a run through and saying it was a good thing I have another chance was horrific. He deserves to be criticized for that.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Abbott was doing what he always did. In that sense he was very predictable. Predictably unreliable.

It was USFS that was stupid enough to rely on him instead of the much more consistent Brown (with less scoring potential).

So why yell at Abbott when it was USFS that made the wrong bet?!

I have to agree. And having a great skate at Nationals is not an indication how they will perform in International Events. Maybe the USFS needs to revamp their whole selection process and exclude the placing at Nationals. However they did do that with the Ladies and we know how that went over. Maybe they need to develop a point system, giving more points to winning or placing in an International event. Just a thought.
Every Skater can have a bad day but what irritates me about Abbott is that he is so flippant about it. Maybe that is what makes him feel better but it is like Oh well I fell.

lavender

Record Breaker
I was annoyed with Jeremy but this is getting harsh. Yes some skaters including some O champions are special but some of them are just lucky. Abbott is one of the unlucky ones. He's got all of that talent but he's one of the worst competitors...very unlucky to not be born a natural competitor.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I was annoyed with Jeremy but this is getting harsh. Yes some skaters including some O champions are special but some of them are just lucky. Abbott is one of the unlucky ones. He's got all of that talent but he's one of the worst competitors...very unlucky to not be born a natural competitor.

I think skaters can improve things. Look, Jeremy almost disqualified himself at Nationals, by not meeting his opening mark. I don't care who you are but surely that's something someone of his age and experience shouldn't forget.

I refuse to think its somehow impossible for someone to learn to be a better competitor, and I think your kind of discounting those who are.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The U.S. media is being just horrible to Jeremy. I hope he is staying away from it or I hope he has people around him protecting him from it.

He had a bad skate - it was frankly expected. I hope he has two decent skates in the individual events even though I doubt he has even an outside chance at a medal.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Abbott won nationals with the 4-3 in the short. He earned/deserved his shot. He had very good practices in Sochi through this morning, landing his quad combo and 3A, then had a shaky warm up and disaster skate.

He has apologized to the team members.

He's a great skater and a not-so-great competitor.

Do you really think he's put in 4 years of pain planning to bomb?

Geeez. He has apologized.

He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially. Plus he has to live with knowing he let his team members down, so he'll suffer emotionally. And it sounds like that is what you all want. Or would suicide be preferable?

I think it was more than just his poor showing in his SP, but also the comments he made afterwards that ticked Christine Brennan and a lot of other people off.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
this competition is not so important anyway, they are NOT a TEAM really, it is not like soccer, football, baseball, those figure skaters train individually and their country put them together for this competition, that´s all, the arena was half empty and it is even the olympic games, no one cares enough.

To YOU maybe. It certainly is to me - and I'm willing to bet that it is VERY important to those skaters whose only realistic chance of ever winning an Olympic medal is in this event.

'no one cares enough'. Wrong again - I care and so do plenty of other fans. That YOU don't care is obvious and it's just you're own indifference to this new event.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am hopeful that if the Team event remains a part of the Olympics that it will cause the USFS to reevaluate their selection process and also how they cultivate talent. No chance of either happening but I can dream

+ 10 there :thumbsup:

I also feel bad for Yuka and Jason. Jeremy made them look pretty bad as coaches if after all this time, he can't shake off a fall and keep fighting.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
USFS had a fine chance to avoid this mess three times:
1. When they chose not to consider the Team event in constructing their criteria for picking the Olympic team.
2. When they allowed the US champions to decide whether they wanted to skate the Team event rather than just picking from more rational criteria. And they could have done a face-saving version where Jeremy could give a press conference saying he chose not to do the team event for whatever nice, acceptable reason.
3. When they did not disqualify Jeremy in the LP at Nationals, because he did, in fact, not take his start position until about a second after the time expired.

And they are sending him to Worlds again. :bang:

Last edited:
Oh, Doris, why did you have to mention Worlds....

Maybe this is the time for the press conference where Jeremy says he chooses not to go to Worlds for whatever nice, acceptable reason. The thought of this man standing on international ice again is too distressing. And the championships are going to be held in Japan? So poor Yuka gets to sit there in her home country with an expressionless, downcast face if something goes wrong? She should send Jason as the only coach for that competition and say she's home sick with the mumps.