Let's face it...Jeremy Abbott blew it | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let's face it...Jeremy Abbott blew it

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, the claws are still sharp.

If the US loses silver/bronze by over 4 points it wouldn't have mattered if Abbott placed 3rd even.

This thread is superfluous and mean spirited... and I'm not even that much of an Abbott fan in general.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I agree 100% with Doris. I have used up all my sympathy for Jeremy. He seems immature and self-indulgent, not just yesterday but at Nationals, too. I hope this is the end of his competitive career, and that he goes on to be a brilliant choreographer, or whatever else he wants to do.
I'm no Gracie Gold fan but I would NEVER wish her bad or want her to retire. I hope she achieves her dreams as she has worked hard.
Why be so nasty ?.

If the US loses silver/bronze by over 4 points it wouldn't have mattered if Abbott placed 3rd even.

This thread is superfluous and mean spirited... and I'm not even that much of an Abbott fan in general.

Doris isn't a mean-spirited person by any measure. Like many of us, she's just a bit fed up with Jeremy's performances in competition after competition. This time, he made it all but impossible for the entire U.S. team to do well in an event for which we have great potential. We're one of the few countries with strength in all four disciplines. No one is hitting Jeremy when he's down--he doesn't know we exist. We're just venting our frustration. I wish Jeremy well, admire his artistry, and love his two coaches, but I must admit that when he shows up for an international competition, I don't feel comfortable watching him. I wait for the results and watch him on YouTube afterward. It's not just that he makes mistakes. He looks as if he doesn't even want to be there on the ice. There are no claws involved in saying this; I want all skaters to do well, as do Doris and all the others who have expressed honest frustration. He did blow it, and his statement afterward didn't help. Can he redeem himself? I sure hope so, but I can't summon up the energy to expect it.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Doris isn't a mean-spirited person by any measure. Like many of us, she's just a bit fed up with Jeremy's performances in competition after competition. This time, he made it all but impossible for the entire U.S. team to do well in an event for which we have great potential. We're one of the few countries with strength in all four disciplines. No one is hitting Jeremy when he's down--he doesn't know we exist. We're just venting our frustration. I wish Jeremy well, admire his artistry, and love his two coaches, but I must admit that when he shows up for an international competition, I don't feel comfortable watching him. I wait for the results and watch him on YouTube afterward. It's not just that he makes mistakes. He looks as if he doesn't even want to be there on the ice. There are no claws involved in saying this; I want all skaters to do well, as do Doris and all the others who have expressed honest frustration. He did blow it, and his statement afterward didn't help. Can he redeem himself? I sure hope so, but I can't summon up the energy to expect it.

I have to agree with both Olympia and Doris on this. Enough with the drama already, as if another poor performance by Jeremy at any major international competition should be a shock to anyone. The only thing more painful than watching that short program was watching the K&C drama, again and again. Same old story and almost impossible to watch.

treeloving

Medalist

I agree, the criticism here is a bit too harsh. I really think having team event before individual competition add unnecessary pressure to skater and might end up affect what score skater could receive in individual event. Also the way media and fan handle their disappointment will give more unnecessary pressure to other skater in team rather than giving them supportive environment and confidence.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am just not sure why everyone is so harsh on Jeremy when they don't criticize Mao for never ending I will do the triple axel or fix my ur and edges or Carolina's ups and downs or Alyssa's "bad skates".

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I agree with this. The US best case scenario was bronze and likely worst case scenario was bronze. Canada (men, pairs, dance) and Russia (men, women, pairs) are strong in three events and the US is strong in one. US dance and ladies will prevent us from losing bronze to Japan most likely.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I can understand a bad skate, but his was terrible. Someone as seasoned as Jeremy is should at least be able to pull out a triple triple in the short program. Also I am tired of the drama.

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside

Very well said. This is my first post (long time lurker), but I too am extremely frustrated. I feel like I am watching a rerun of 2010 and Nats/Vancouver, when he skated out of his mind to win over Lysacek, then bombed at Olympics. Here again, he skates like 'no sweat' at Nationals, and then skates like a nervous Nelly at Olympics. I swear I probably wouldn't have even registered and responded to this thread, if he hadn't of said it was a "positive thing". Like what he is he THINKING????? This is his BEST and likely ONLY chance to medal. He's acting like this was a "B" event, and he still has "the big show" to do. They STILL give Gold Medals for this, m'kay? Honey, you aren't Patrick Chan -- this isn't a warm-up for you. You aren't medaling in men's singles. It's like maybe <1%. THIS was your chance, and you blew it.

Positive step, my butt. /facepalm

Greetings to you guys -- I'm just venting :-D
Brent

conga

On the Ice
Jeremy has to know who and what he is by this time in his life. He is 28. He is choosing to do things that have consequences for people other than himself. Skating with his problems is not that different than Flatt skating on a broken leg. And then he gives that press conference where he says that skating badly was a good thing...

I also hope (but do not expect) that he will skate better in the individual event, but I still wish he would not go to Worlds.

As a long time fan of Jeremy's skating, always wanting him to perform to his capabilities, I was extremely disappointed by his attitude and comments afterwards. I think it's very possible, but I don't really care, that his sports psychologist and/or his coaches tried to help him deal with his nerves by using the concept that this would be good "practice" for the individual event. IMO, his teammates deserved a public apology and not self-absorption. There is nothing wrong with accountability.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think the problem is that at 28 he has little self awareness, or for that matter other awareness. He seems stuck in adolescence and that can happen when one leads the insular life of making skating most of your life.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't think any claws would have come out if he didn't say stupid things. Can you imagine dealing with this guy everyday? He's 28 yo. He'd make excuse and say stupid things like the universe has other plans and the dogs ate his homework. I've met people like this in real life and I want nothing to do with them.

Memelah711

Rinkside
I don't understand all the nastiness that is being shown. It's not like Jeremy planned to skate poorly. I missed the press conference, but when he was in the K&C and being interviewed afterwards, he looked like he was about to cry. We have all made mistakes and/or times when we've let other people down. Most of us have the blessing of not having those mistakes/let downs happen in front of the world wide media and with Olympic medals on the line.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You had to have heard the press conference to understand the anger. To Jeremy, this was a nice training run, and skating really, really badly in it, was not just "no big deal," it was positive!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He still has world's and olympic individual. He could win gold and y ou know every Yankee will be doodling if he does and all will be forgiven. Olympics aren't based on a body of work unfortunately or fortunately - can you imagine Jeremy Abbott OGM individually but cost USA gold as a team ? Well it is the me first idea of thinking I suppose and life isn't fair or just necessarily - unless it turns out the way you want it.

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
He still has world's and olympic individual. He could win gold and y ou know every Yankee will be doodling if he does and all will be forgiven. Olympics aren't based on a body of work unfortunately or fortunately - can you imagine Jeremy Abbott OGM individually but cost USA gold as a team ? Well it is the me first idea of thinking I suppose and life isn't fair or just necessarily - unless it turns out the way you want it.

You have GOT to be kidding me. He has like <1% of even getting near the podium. THIS was his chance, yo. Chan could paint the ice with his rear and he would beat Abbott with the IJS.

You know what? In spite of everything I can muster some sympathy for Jeremy's awful faux pas in the press interview. After first saying how sorry he was that he let the team down, he just blurted out whatever stupid thing flashed through his mind besides, I'm a terrible wretch, please take me out and shoot me.

Skater Boy said:
every Yankee will be doodling

:laugh: :agree:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree with this. The US best case scenario was bronze and likely worst case scenario was bronze. Canada (men, pairs, dance) and Russia (men, women, pairs) are strong in three events and the US is strong in one. US dance and ladies will prevent us from losing bronze to Japan most likely.

I thoroughly agree.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I don't understand all the nastiness that is being shown. It's not like Jeremy planned to skate poorly. I missed the press conference, but when he was in the K&C and being interviewed afterwards, he looked like he was about to cry. We have all made mistakes and/or times when we've let other people down. Most of us have the blessing of not having those mistakes/let downs happen in front of the world wide media and with Olympic medals on the line.

I think a lot of it is frustration with Jeremy in general. This wasn't a fluke. This happens over and over and over and over again.