Let's face it...Jeremy Abbott blew it | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Let's face it...Jeremy Abbott blew it

Ven

Match Penalty
U.S. can still lose the bronze. Ladies and Brown will have to bring it if they still want to medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think we should see how all of the US skaters skate before we point the finger at Abbott. Yes, it's very unlikely that anyone will skate as poorly as he did, but if everyone else falters, they may just end up being as accountable for the US being off the podium. Surely, I hope the US isn't expecting to win or come 2nd at this point (although if Wagner does well and Osmond does particularly poorly, they might be back in the silver hunt).

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What a hot mess. We've already got at least three threads on / regarding Jeremy Abbott. Can we merge some or something?

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Aside from Meryl and Charlie the US isn't flush with steady skaters. It will not be a surprise if C/S implode in the long. Or if Ashley and Gracie has a fall or two. I hope the rest of the team won't be similarly pilloried if they mess up.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
This is the first one I've seen (Jeremy thread, I mean).
I didn't hear the interview, but I'm beginning to think there is something seriously wrong with him. He looked absolutely terrified before he started his program. Now, this guy has been around for years, it's not his first Olympics, what is the problem? He's just so incredibly sensitive, shy, anxious, etc. that he still can't function? Everyone is nervous, but he's a basket case.

Who is the coach of this team? If I were the coach, I would not put him up as the very first person to skate from America, knowing of his nerves.

That was a disgrace last night. And as for people not saying bad things about him because he didn't do it on purpose? Do you think people are being that nice to Peyton Manning? That's life when you're a famous or semi-famous athlete.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I can see it now, Jeremy will be the scapegoat and the fall guy if the US team doesn't do as high as it's like. Come on, yes he cracked but why harp on him? He was in a very unenviable position, skating after Plushenko in Plushenko's HOME CROWD, the crowd going wild. That could throw anyone off. Is it necessary to dump on him? I'm sure he said "Yeah I'll just go bomb the SP and cost my team"

desertskates

Medalist
I've never really been a huge Jeremy fan because of his inconsistency, but when he's on, he's ON. I just think we should ease up because *sheer speculation* he may have a legit anxiety problem. His attitude, comments, and performances seem to come and go, so I hope we can get over the comment and wish him well. He's one of our US athletes, and needs support and well wishes :)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
You know what? In spite of everything I can muster some sympathy for Jeremy's awful faux pas in the press interview. After first saying how sorry he was that he let the team down, he just blurted out whatever stupid thing flashed through his mind besides, I'm a terrible wretch, please take me out and shoot me.

Yeah, that would be my guess, too. I have a hard time believing he truly doesn't realize or care how costly his performance might be for the team.

I figured something similar with his "don't go to someone's home and criticize their decorating" comments the first time he was asked about Russia's laws. The dude just isn't good at being in the hot seat, and that seems equally true in interviews as it is in skating performances.

And I agree that the US is still the favourite for bronze, although they have less room for error than before. Seems people will be annoyed with Jeremy either way, though. If the US wins bronze, then it'll be, "Jeremy gets to take home a medal for that??? Look at all the great Olympic skaters that never got medals!"

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand all the nastiness that is being shown. It's not like Jeremy planned to skate poorly. I missed the press conference, but when he was in the K&C and being interviewed afterwards, he looked like he was about to cry. We have all made mistakes and/or times when we've let other people down. Most of us have the blessing of not having those mistakes/let downs happen in front of the world wide media and with Olympic medals on the line.

Yep. I'll say that for him.

He's ALWAYS crestfallen and teary-eyed when he skates poorly on the international stage.

We know. We've seen it so many times.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Maybe an athlete like Jeremy would benefit from an International championship that allows a second shot.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just watched Castelli/Shnapir (oh lord I hope I spelled that right), and the huge, enormous, massive, visible difference between them and Jeremy? When they made a mistake, they went, oh crap, oh well, it's gone, let's fight for the rest of the program! They FOUGHT for it! They never gave up, never stopped trying, never stopped fighting. Abbott's body language was bad before he ever took off for the quad - even if I hadn't known he was going to fall on it I would have known. From the moment he started moving, he looked like he'd given up. He didn't even try to fight for the program.

meem

On the Ice
Well, fortunately for those of us who have had enough of Mr. Abbott, we won't have to see his pouty, scared face (that certain expression we all came to dread) out at center ice any more. He's retiring at the end of the season, thank God. I wondered why he didn't retire years ago and make money touring (especially in Asia) since he's a beautiful skater (just as long as it's not a competition). His stupid comment, in which he treated his Team SP as a practice run for his upcoming individual competition, is one more reason a lot of us won't miss this self-absorbed skater. So here's hoping the USFSA will convince Jeremy to have a convenient pulled hamstring so an alternate can go to Worlds. I know I sure don't want to see his pouty, scared look ever again. And here's a P.S. Doris is a great fan of figure skating and the skaters. Her comments are always well-meaning, interesting and helpful in understanding various competitive performances.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Well, fortunately for those of us who have had enough of Mr. Abbott, we won't have to see his pouty, scared face (that certain expression we all came to dread) out at center ice any more. He's retiring at the end of the season, thank God. I wondered why he didn't retire years ago and make money touring (especially in Asia) since he's a beautiful skater (just as long as it's not a competition). His stupid comment, in which he treated his Team SP as a practice run for his upcoming individual competition, is one more reason a lot of us won't miss this self-absorbed skater. So here's hoping the USFSA will convince Jeremy to have a convenient pulled hamstring so an alternate can go to Worlds. I know I sure don't want to see his pouty, scared look ever again. And here's a P.S. Doris is a great fan of figure skating and the skaters. Her comments are always well-meaning, interesting and helpful in understanding various competitive performances.

:rofl:

AlexaD

Rinkside
I generally don't mind Jeremy, but that performance and then his comments was a huge turn-off for me. He really did look terrified before he went out. After the fall, he just gave up. Considering it was the team event, he didn't step up at all, and quite frankly seemed to consider it just something to get out of the way before HIS individual performance. Maybe he reacted differently off camera, but his comments didn't come off well. JMO.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you want an example of fighting for a program after disaster strikes, consider Sasha at Torino. And thanks for the vote of confidence, but every so often, something will bring out my inner Wicked person-in this case it's Jeremy's performance, followed by his press conference.