Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many?

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Whether Sasha is considered a celebrity or not, I am proud of her. Just like I was very proud of Sarah for coming back after the Olympics to compete even though she wasn't in the greatest shape.

And sometimes, bronx, it DOES need to be announced otherwise people wouldn't pay that much attention to a charity. You may not agree which is fine, but there are quite a few that I'd never heard of until I saw celebrities "touting" them on television or in newspaper/magazine articles. To me, that's how the message gets out and that's a signal to quite a few people that there's a need.

How in the world do people think I heard about the Children's Miracle Network or the Make A Wish foundation? It sure wasn't because I just thought them up in my head one day. (sorry, I know that's sarcastic, but this really gets my goat) If announcing a charitable act is "just" a PR ploy, I hope they all keep doing it.:)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Realistic,
The world would be in a better place if everyone took the time out to do an act of kindness (random or otherwise). If a celebrity will jog someone's memory to do this, that would be one of the best outcomes of all (I hope you can agree with me on that point?)

gezando

Final Flight
dizzydi said:
Here are two reasons I feel Sarah is unpopular:

1) First and foremost, she beat Michelle and Irina.
2) Sarah gave up on skating to pursue college.

Actually I will add she beat Sasha too to your reason #1. Combining your reason #1 and #2, I guess that explains the reason why some Sasha fans were gegrudging Sarah for applying for some usfs scholarship award prior to her college application. They thought she had unfair advantage for that scholarship/award being the reigning OGM.

Last edited:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
Realistic,
The world would be in a better place if everyone took the time out to do an act of kindness (random or otherwise). If a celebrity will jog someone's memory to do this, that would be one of the best outcomes of all (I hope you can agree with me on that point?)

Yep, bronx, I most certainly will agree with you on that and give you a ^5 for saying that as well.:)

That's why I like Ellen Degeneres' show. She now gives "Holla Awards" for random acts of kindness. Kind of silly reenactments, but the acknowledgment is wonderful.

euterpe

Medalist
Why on earth would Sarah apply for a USFSA scholarship award after winning the OGM? She earned piles of $ from endorsements and headlining the COI tour, and her family is very well-off. Surely there are lots of other far needier skaters who really need that scholarship money.

shdotz

On the Ice
Sarah and USFSA Scholarship

I can think of at least two (2) reasons:

1.) The USFSA stays in the news as does Sarah - and that is also considered advertising for both of them which also translates into even more money; and,

2.) Why not? Money can be used for any number of things including such luxuries as cars, TVs, designed clothing, etc. What doesn't come out of her pocket is still hers.

An old saying is: "It takes money to make money."

Not everyone thinks like Mother Theresa; unfortunately.

sh

gkelly

Record Breaker
You're talking about the Chevy scholarships given at Nationals?

It's not a lot of money, but it is an honor. High school students in the process of applying to colleges (as Hughes was at the time) often apply or compete for various kinds of awards because it strengthens their college applications. Of course the Olympic medal is a much bigger deal than the scholarship, but it's based only on skating, not academics. The Chevy awards are based on both, so it proves something else about the recipient.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm. I'd think her early acceptance to Harvard was a big enough honor on her resume that she wouldn't need a USFSA scholarship to bolster it.

It is a fact that if Sarah didn't apply, a needier student would have won it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How do we know that Sarah didn't donate the money? BTW, the application deadline for the 2004 Chevy Scholastic Honors team was in September 2003.

shdotz

On the Ice
Sarah - Scholarship Money

We don't know if Sarah donated the money; I believe that if she did, it would make a great PR news story for all participants involved.

Frankly, this is not something that I care about. Whatever it is, it is.

sh

gkelly

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
It is a fact that if Sarah didn't apply, a needier student would have won it.

If Sarah didn't apply, some other junior- or senior-level skater would have won it.

Many skaters who reach that level come from families of a similar economic bracket as the Hugheses, usually with fewer than six children. No reason to believe that the next skater who just missed the cut was financially needier.

It's not a need-based award anyway, it's based on academic and skating achievement. It's a merit award that happens to include some money, but it's more about the honor than the money.

Heck, the money I got for my National Merit Scholarship barely covered the cost of books and extra dance classes in college. It was still an honor to win one and to be able to list it on my applications and resume.

The next applicant on the list might or might not have had better academic credentials than Hughes, but it's a good bet that Hughes had better skating credentials.

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=128