Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Bosman..

Bosman401 said:
Anyone can potentially have the skate of a lifetime on one night.

And that's exactly what makes this sport so exciting. It's nice when the judges reward what happens on that day. Just my humble opinion.

DG

jesslily

Final Flight
Wining an OGM first, skipping the world, and suddenly left the COI tour are the major reasons hurt Sarah Hughs' popularity.
Wining just because of one time performance, not the solid technique let her hesitate to have confidence training for the world. But I just feel if she really loves figure skating, she can always find time to practice. For most lower level skaters, from juvenile to senior, they go to school for 5 hours or more each day, and then come to rink to skate, year by year, that's how they move up level. Colloege's schedules are a lot easier, you can choose you classes around you skating schedule. Students who don't do sports seriously still have to work a few hours daily to make some spending money.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't blame Sarah for leaving the COI tour. From what I heard, Sarah only wanted to skate on weekends while Tom Collins wanted her to skate the whole tour. Touring isn't something that a lot of people enjoy doing. Some people don't like going from hotel to hotel. Plus she probably wanted to hang out with her friends. In addition, Sarah was taking AP classes and preparing for her SAT. That's pretty hard to do on top of touring and training.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Jesslily..

I gave some careful thought to your post before responding. The major issues you raise in your post are about popularity, and the ability for one (anyone I presume, figure skater or not) to adjust schedules based on personal priorities.

I agree that almost anything can be successfully scheduled, if it is truly the top priority. It's simply a matter of what lesser priorities one is willing to give up to pursue the top priority.

I suspect that in Sarah's case, her education became her top priority once the Grand Prize in figure skating was accomplished. I still think the timing (and actuality) of the Grand Prize came as a surprise to her, hence some waffling as she sorted it out.

I also suspect that popularity with skating fans ultimately was a low priority for Sarah, and that's OK. While all of us "want what we want" for these skaters, ultimately they are doing the work, doing the time, spending the money and are free as we all are to make their own decisions without obligation.

To draw a contrast AND a similarity to Sarah, I would speculate about MK's decisions. I suspect the reason she is still competing, staying and playing is NOT because fans "expect it" from her, but because she wants to.

I don't know either of these ladies personally, so these are just my speculations. But my impressions of both are that they are strong, intelligent, and independent minded young women who are making what they feel are the best decisions for themselves. No harm, no foul.

DG

starshinexavier

On the Ice
When I first saw this, I thought y'all were talking about me! But then I clued in and realized that the Sarah H is Sarah Hughes. I will shut up now.....;)

jesslily

Final Flight
This thread is "Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many?". So I try to figure out the reasons. Personally I very much admire the sacrifice and dedicationa she has made to the sport. I like her as a skater and a person. But the truth is if you totally leave the sport, how could you be popular? I don't think popularity is that important though. The past OGM skaters whoever still actively involoved with the skating in some way, who are popular definitly, such as Dick Button and Peggy Flemming. Albright concentrated on medical field, I guess many young people don't know who she is.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, I've yet to see an Oly favorite with a noncontroversial win fail to go on to worlds (Yags, K&D, Kristi, etc..).

Yeah, this make ppl wondering if 'the afraid of losing the worlds tarnishing their OGM' indeed play a role in their mind thus affect their decition.

Bosman401

Spectator
Every skater performs under pressure.
Tara had a great year in '97. She had a great Olympic skate. I just don't think she was on the scene long enough to be put on par with competitors like Katarina and Michelle. Just my humble opinion.

jesslily

Final Flight
At least Tara did a couple of years of professional skating. She likes to follow Sonia's footstep pursuing acting opportunity. I just feel that the time and Tara's personality don't provide her much chance to succeed in movie business. If her hip allows her just do double jumps, Tara will more marks in professional skating.

soogar

Record Breaker
I like Tara's acting. She's a Meryl Streep compared to how Kat Witt embarrassed herself on VIP.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
Well, I've yet to see an Oly favorite with a noncontroversial win fail to go on to worlds (Yags, K&D, Kristi, etc..).

Just curious... What was controversial about Yags' win? Plushy fell in the short and was gifted with 4th place so he could make the podium... no one else was even close. It looked pretty slam dunk to me.

Also, IIRC, Yags did not commit to Worlds until after Plushenko announced that he would not compete. Am I remembering that right?

Mathman

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Good point Mathman..

And if that was the case, would you also suspect the Russion Federation may have influenced that decision to retain spots for the next year, etc.? Maybe Yags would have gone to World's anyway...just speculating.

DG

SK8GR8

Rinkside
I think that part of the reason that both Sarah and Tara haven't been as popular with skating fans is because neither really was in it long enough to have a chance to become popular. Both were very young when they won the Olympic gold (Tara was 15 and Sarah 16) and were still developing as skaters. Both had a great skate when it really counted, which is wonderful for them, but they both seemed to believe that winning Olympic gold was all they needed to do to become America's Skating Sweetheart. I think this applies more to Tara, because Sarah never seemed like skating was the love of her life, more like it was something she did and had some success at, but had other plans for her life.

If Tara or Sarah had stayed in eligible skating and continued to develop their abilities and artistry, I think they would be better liked by fans. Michelle was the alternate for the 94 Olympics. Imagine if Nancy had not recovered and was unable to compete, so Michelle competed, had a perfect skate and ended up winning the gold medal. If she had then retired from eligible skating, there is no way she would be loved by so many people as she is today. However, if she goes to Torino and wins the gold and immediately retires, not even going to 2006 Worlds, I doubt that anyone will complain about that. She already has a huge collection of World medals. She is also proof that you don't need an Olympic gold medal to be loved or to be marketable, just as Tara has shown that you can't achieve this with just the gold medal. It takes a lot of time and effort to establish yourself. IMO, Tara and Sarah just peaked too early and were unable or unwilling to maintain their Olympic gold standards.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Both had a great skate when it really counted, which is wonderful for them, but they both seemed to believe that winning Olympic gold was all they needed to do to become America's Skating Sweetheart.

I don't think Sarah ever cared about being America's sweetheart. Tara--yes, she definitely did.

dizzydi

On the Ice
RealtorGal,

"I don't think Sarah ever cared about being America's sweetheart. Tara--yes, she definitely did."

I think you are absolutely right about the above statement. Sarah wasn't pursuing the fame. With Sarah, I think it was the challenge that drove her.

While Tara, she seemed to want fame and fortune. This is evident by her push to become an actress. Some may think that her injury was the driving force which caused her to pursue acting. I feel, while the injury may contribute to it, the real motivation was the fame and fortune that both Tara and her mother seemed to think she deserves. I feel the motivation for Tara was definitely "the spotlight" all along. Tara seems to have given up her skating rather easily. As an example.....I mean, look at Rudy Galindo and what he has gone through to continue skating?

Dizzy

clairecloutier

Final Flight
While I respected Tara tremendously as a competitor, I always felt she was in it primarily for the money and fame, not for the skating. So the fact that she's now turned to acting doesn't surprise me. I don't know if I see her becoming a big star as an actress, though. It seems like Hollywood's current ideal of a star is someone who's 5'10", blond, and stunning. Tara doesn't fit the mold (although she is cute in her own way).

soogar

Record Breaker
Tara definitely had visions of stardom , but I don't think that was why she excelled at skating. I really got the impression that Tara was a perfectionist in mastering the technical elements. People get on Tara about her tiny jumps, however even though Tara's jumps were tiny, they had very secure landings. Plus she was an excellent spinner (great sit spin, just like Todd) and she skated smoothly with deep edges and a lot of speed. I think that Tara's programs hold up with time and if you compare her Olympic program with Sarah's , Tara's would win b/c she was very polished.

I think there are lots of skaters out there for the fame and fortune, however I think that the hard work and sacrifice would weed out people who truly did not love to skate.

It wouldn't surprise me if perhaps Tara has lost interest in skating since she cannot do the difficult elements anymore. She probably took great pleasure in mastering new jumps and pushing herself athletically and now that's she's lost that, she doesn't feel motivated to get out there and skate.