Who will be the next generation of legendary coaches? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will be the next generation of legendary coaches?

Matt

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
I think it's important to differentiate between "coach" and "choreographer". Morozov the the latter; he has done nothing as of yet to show he is a "coach".

But he has; he is listed on the ISU website as one of the co-coaches for Kevin van der Perren (along with Vera Vandecaveye (sp?) )

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Butyrskaya & Kudryavtsev
Victor certainly gave her the technique. However, Maria always had a lot of psychological problems. She would be perfect at practices, but totally fall apart at major competitions. In fact, Victor ended up suggesting that it might be better for Maria to skate in some shows where her nerves would not be a liability. Somehow, Tchaikovskaya could (temporarily) give the confidence she needed.

Kulik & Kudryavtsev
I understand that Ilya was really not happy with Victor. Victor & Marina have a lot of students, and even though they certainly pay a lot of individual attention to students, they could not make Ilya their "one and only". Tarasova could.

Vasiliev
I fail to see what Totmianina & Marinin gained by going to Vasiliev. They've had their technique from Natalia Pavlova, one of the best Russian pairs coaches. Their choreography has improved, but that is mainly because they are working with Giuseppe Arena (sp?). The rumor went that they wanted to train with Moskvina, but she couldn't take them because of Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze; she suggested they temporarily train with her pupil Vasiliev. They feel the partnership is working, though I've heard rumors they are heading back to St. Petersburg.

Morozov
I know he coaches as well as choreographs. However, while I think he has proven himself as the latter, we have no way of telling how good he is going to be as a coach.

Coaches who work with beginners vs. "final polish" coaches
Jaana, I am not sure I agree with you. Russia has two excelent pairs coaches who seem unable to give that "final polish" -- the Velikovs and Natalia Pavlova. Velikovs' pairs include Shishkova & Naumov and Petrova & Tikhonov; Pavlova's include Eltsova & Bushkov, and Totmianina & Marinin before they went to Vasiliev. Interestingly, out of the Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, she used to be coched by Pavlova, and he by the Velikovs. Anyway, I feel that Petrova & Tikhonov could have been really great with another coach.

lulu

Final Flight
enjoyed your post Ptichka,

I agree there are certain coaches who are wonderful at teaching technique and basic skills and there are coaches who are marvelous at putting the pieces together, adding more difficult choroegraphy and fine tunning everything.

While the "finished" coaches may get more attention, both types of coaches are important.

Awesome

Spectator
Rachael said:
Since when is Colin coached by Jeff Dregorio? The last time I checked, he was coached by Carol Heiss Jenkins.

I would like to make a correction. Colin is training in Delaware, but he only had a tryout with DeGregorio. He is working with Barbara Roles-Williams. Parker is still in Ohio with Carol Heiss-Jenkins.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ptichka said:
Kulik & Kudryavtsev
I understand that Ilya was really not happy with Victor. Victor & Marina have a lot of students, and even though they certainly pay a lot of individual attention to students, they could not make Ilya their "one and only". Tarasova could.

I have understood from a Viktor K interview (the translation was on FSUniverse forum), that he would have followed Ilia to USA, but it was not possible in that time. I think the relationship between Ilia and Viktor K must have been good, especially as Ilia thanked him also for the Oly gold medal.

On the other hand Viktor K was not always a supportive coach. Meaning that he e.g. voted against sending Ilia to 1996 Worlds. The situation became because Ilia was 3rd in 1996 Europeans and Igor Pashkevitch 2nd. It was decided by RF that the better skater at Centennial On Ice competition (held in St. Petersburg in February 1996) will travel to the Worlds. LOL, the situation was difficult as Igor P was coached by Viktor K´s wife...

Marjaana

Last edited: