View Poll Results: Should the pros have been reinstated in 1994

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 47.44%
  • No

35 44.87%
  • Yes-but they should have only been allowed to compete at the Olympics, and lost all eligiblity after that.

5 6.41%
  • My favorite skater (who won) was an eligibile skater-so I could care less about them reinstating the pros

1 1.28%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Should the pros have been reinstated in 1994?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I am from the old school of figure skating and feel once skaters have entered the pro ranks then that is where they should stay; no going back to their amateur status. It's not fair to the new crop of skaters and those who have "hung in there" waiting for their turn. So in answer to your question "no, the pros should not have been reinstated in 1994.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    I am from the old school of figure skating and feel once skaters have entered the pro ranks then that is where they should stay; no going back to their amateur status. It's not fair to the new crop of skaters and those who have "hung in there" waiting for their turn. So in answer to your question "no, the pros should not have been reinstated in 1994.
    I don't understand.

In "the old school of figure skating" Sonja Henie reighned for 10 straight years and no one could beat her. Do you really feel that she should have stepped down after St. Moritz and given the titles to Burger and Colledge? Sonja certainly kept many a skater from getting "her turn" atop the podium.

How is M&D turning pro for one year any different than R&Z taking one year off to have a baby?

Patrenko and Browning were neck and neck rivals for years. Was it ok for Kurt to deny those "waiting their turn" in 93 just because Viktor won an Oy medal and Kurt didn't in Albertville?

Was it Ok for Todd to comeback in 2001, just becasue he didn't become what "the old school of figure skating" called a pro? He didn't skate in eligable comps and he made a lot of money from skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    I don't understand.

In "the old school of figure skating" Sonja Henie reighned for 10 straight years and no one could beat her. Do you really feel that she should have stepped down after St. Moritz and given the titles to Burger and Colledge? Sonja certainly kept many a skater from getting "her turn" atop the podium.

How is M&D turning pro for one year any different than R&Z taking one year off to have a baby?

Patrenko and Browning were neck and neck rivals for years. Was it ok for Kurt to deny those "waiting their turn" in 93 just because Viktor won an Oy medal and Kurt didn't in Albertville?

Was it Ok for Todd to comeback in 2001, just becasue he didn't become what "the old school of figure skating" called a pro? He didn't skate in eligable comps and he made a lot of money from skating.
    Ladskater was speaking of pro skaters. As far as I remember, your examples - Henie, Browning Petrenko and Eldredge - are not pro skaters coming back to eligible skating, are they? Yes, matters have changed in the way that these days eligible skaters can earn money, a lot of money. Personally I think that it is unfortunate for the sport that there is practically no difference between them.
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-04-2004 at 04:26 AM.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Like I said, it makes no sense to me that someone like Irina Rodnia could win two Oly titles and 10 world championships, take a full year off,and then return to win an unprecidented 3rd gold medal, but in Lad's eyes she wasn't preventing anyone who was "waiting their turn" from winning.

M&D, OTOH, only had one Oly title and two world titles, but becasue they took a year off under the title "pro" they were denying others a chance at "their turn" even thought hey didn't skate for a fraction of how long Rodnina dominated the sport.

I hope that this viewpoint doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the pair who were "waiting their turn" in 92 and were denied an Oly title because of reinstated pros were Canadian.
    Last edited by berthes ghost; 08-04-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3