Opening Ceremony | Golden Skate

Opening Ceremony

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Javier was one of my highlights. He looked so cute and proud! Good for him. All in all I liked the ceremony but halfway through I have to admit - I was a little bored. :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Hockey and figure skating united in lighting the olympic flame: Tretiak & Rodnina :clap:

Agree MaiKatze about Javier. Tong also made me happy. Both :yay:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Loved the ceremony, very well done and enough classical Russian music and ballet to make me a very happy camper. (Brilliant, lighting the flame to The Firebird!)

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I was overwhelmed when they had Natasha Rostova's first ball! Just 5 min before i said that i wish there was a proper Russian ball! All in all loved it, watchef with my whole family!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Hockey and figure skating united in lighting the olympic flame: Tretiak & Rodnina :clap:

Yes, Tong! Almost forgot. Everytime I saw a figure skater somewhere I squealed a bit. :) I also saw/found Brian Joubert in the crowd. Now I get what people say, who find him attractive. He looks really good, also yesterday in the team event. Glad for him that he can skate in another Olympics. But Javier looked so happy. Gosh, I want a medal for him, too! Why are there only 3 medals? It is so hard when I want them all to do well.

Becki

Medalist
Javier was one of my highlights. He looked so cute and proud! Good for him. All in all I liked the ceremony but halfway through I have to admit - I was a little bored. :)

I thought Michael from Philippines were pretty cute too - being the only athlete of Team Philippines lol

Memelah711

Rinkside

I was disappointed that they had FOUR Summer Olympic athletes participating in the Opening Ceremony, let alone the torch lighting. It's not like Russia doesn't have an overwhelming amount of Winter Olympic athletes to have chosen from. I was hoping to see Alexei, Katia or Irina Slutskaya participate. :disapp:

I'm happy a figure skater, Irina Rodnina, as half the official torch lighters.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I was disappointed that they had FOUR Summer Olympic athletes participating in the Opening Ceremony, let alone the torch lighting. It's not like Russia doesn't have an overwhelming amount of Winter Olympic athletes to have chosen from. I was hoping to see Alexei, Katia or Irina Slutskaya participate. :disapp:

I'm happy a figure skater, Irina Rodnina, as half the official torch lighters.

I was surprised/disapointed about that too. I never thought Karelin and Isinbayeva would be front figures at the opening ceremony. Though I know Isinbayeva is a personal friend of Putin. Many fantastic figure skaters, skiers and hockey players to choose from :(

Procrastinator

On the Ice
My comment earlier was before any of the stuff after the athletes marched in had happened. I changed mind. It was great! Certainly better than London/Vancouver (which were utter snorefests) but still second to Beijing.

I actually expected a gymnastics superstar to be one of the torch bearers, e.g. Nemov or Khorkina

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Irina Rodnina! Wonderful to see her light the flame (as opposed to being flamed for her racist Obama tweet, lol).

That was a pretty good opening ceremony. The speeches of course were eye-roll worthy, but whatever.

Gotta love this http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/olympics-opening-ceremony-ring-missing-sochi/ Oh well, it's not like it's the only thing in Sochi to be unfinished. :laugh:

overall miles ahead of whatever snoozefest Vancouver put up in 2010 :yes:
let the games begin

D/W and Yuzu for the Gold :)

overall miles ahead of whatever snoozefest Vancouver put up in 2010 :yes:
let the games begin

D/W and Yuzu for the Gold :)

I actually loved the Canadian opening ceremonies. They were modest and unassuming, and they reflected a country that has a small population and is young in cultural heritage. But they had moments of great beauty that reflected the Canadian character and also the land. That "flying scene" over the prairies is still one of my go-to YouTube videos.

But I expect the Russian ceremonies to be much more elaborate, and rich with their culture and MUSIC! (Many of my favorite composers are Russian.) I'm thrilled to hear from those of you who have already been able to watch it. It sounds as if it will live up to expectations. And to see athletes such as Rodnina taking part will be a delight. Thanks for the advance word, everyone who described it. I'm eager to plant myself in front of the TV and will not be answering the phone tonight.

Memelah711

Rinkside
I want great winter olympians to participate at a winter opening ceremony.

Exactly! At the Winter Olympics, I want see great Winter Olympians participate in the Opening Ceremony. I don't want to see Summer Olympic athletes participate at the Winter Games. The opposite is true of the Summer Olympics.

The Summer athlete I was most shocked at was Maria Sharapova.