Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opening Ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    I actually expected a gymnastics superstar to be one of the torch bearers, e.g. Nemov or Khorkina
    I want great winter olympians to participate at a winter opening ceremony.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Irina Rodnina! Wonderful to see her light the flame (as opposed to being flamed for her racist Obama tweet, lol).

That was a pretty good opening ceremony. The speeches of course were eye-roll worthy, but whatever.

Gotta love this [url]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/olympics-opening-ceremony-ring-missing-sochi/[/url] Oh well, it's not like it's the only thing in Sochi to be unfinished.
    overall miles ahead of whatever snoozefest Vancouver put up in 2010
    let the games begin

D/W and Yuzu for the Gold

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    overall miles ahead of whatever snoozefest Vancouver put up in 2010
    let the games begin

D/W and Yuzu for the Gold
    I actually loved the Canadian opening ceremonies. They were modest and unassuming, and they reflected a country that has a small population and is young in cultural heritage. But they had moments of great beauty that reflected the Canadian character and also the land. That "flying scene" over the prairies is still one of my go-to YouTube videos.

But I expect the Russian ceremonies to be much more elaborate, and rich with their culture and MUSIC! (Many of my favorite composers are Russian.) I'm thrilled to hear from those of you who have already been able to watch it. It sounds as if it will live up to expectations. And to see athletes such as Rodnina taking part will be a delight. Thanks for the advance word, everyone who described it. I'm eager to plant myself in front of the TV and will not be answering the phone tonight.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    I want great winter olympians to participate at a winter opening ceremony.
    Exactly! At the Winter Olympics, I want see great Winter Olympians participate in the Opening Ceremony. I don't want to see Summer Olympic athletes participate at the Winter Games. The opposite is true of the Summer Olympics.

The Summer athlete I was most shocked at was Maria Sharapova.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Feeling narratived to death already

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I actually loved the Canadian opening ceremonies. They were modest and unassuming, and they reflected a country that has a small population and is young in cultural heritage. But they had moments of great beauty that reflected the Canadian character and also the land. That "flying scene" over the prairies is still one of my go-to YouTube videos.

But I expect the Russian ceremonies to be much more elaborate, and rich with their culture and MUSIC! (Many of my favorite composers are Russian.) I'm thrilled to hear from those of you who have already been able to watch it. It sounds as if it will live up to expectations. And to see athletes such as Rodnina taking part will be a delight. Thanks for the advance word, everyone who described it. I'm eager to plant myself in front of the TV and will not be answering the phone tonight.
    I liked the Vancouver Opening as well.

My winner for most embarrassing moment at an Opening Ceremony has to be the pick up trucks of cheerleaders in Atlanta in 1996. And they did that on purpose.

Favorite Opening ever was London 2012. SLC in 2002 was good, too.

Custom Title
    I loved London too, Louisa. But then I'm a children's literature buff, and they had me at hello.

The opening tableau of this Sochi ceremony was magical, absolutely magical. Visually sumptuous. And they used Borodin's music! I was practically afloat with delight.

I'm always a sucker for the parade of nations, too. The national diversity is awesome--and the costumes!--and it's fascinating to find out about the backgrounds of the athletes. Not everyone is a young kid who lives his or her sport wall to wall every day. Some are businessmen or bricklayers; one is a prince; one young woman is a concert violinist. Vive la difference!

Custom Title
    Does anyone else find the Turkish flagbearer really handsome?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    Does anyone else find the Turkish flagbearer really handsome?

LOL!

The Russian team's outfits had a bit of a Father Christmas/Victorian Santa flavor to them. I'm sure it fits nicely with Russian culture and all that, but that's what it reminded my Western mind of...

I like the less busy, less fussy team attire. And the U.S. certainly missed the mark on that more than any other team.

Custom Title
    My favorite section: Natasha's ball. The colors of the costumes! All those peach-rose tones...sublime. And the dancing. Did anyone notice that the music was "Sentimental Waltz," which Sasha Cohen used for her 2002 short program? I love that melody; so unusual and haunting.

It was nice seeing Gracie marching for the U.S.! I saw one of the American female athletes (don't know who) look like she was overcome with emotions.

I felt bad for Heidi Kloser on her crutches. She looked like she was in such pain. I know she was determined to "walk" in the opening ceremony despite not being able to compete after her bad crash. I saw her get into her wheelchair later. It was so touching when she asked her father after her crash "am I still an Olympian?"

Custom Title
    There were photos on social media of all the American figure skaters except Polina-- anyone know if she wasn't able to attend the opening?

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    Exactly! At the Winter Olympics, I want see great Winter Olympians participate in the Opening Ceremony. I don't want to see Summer Olympic athletes participate at the Winter Games. The opposite is true of the Summer Olympics.

The Summer athlete I was most shocked at was Maria Sharapova.
    I suppose I had forgotten, or never knew, that Sharapova is an Olympic medalist. That, coupled with her early upbringing in Sochi made her a reasonable choice, considering one of the flame relay members is reportedly Putin's mistress.

I would STILL have preferred winter Olympians. There have been so many Russian greats that could have been honored. Irina Rodnina was an excellent pick for lighter-of-the-flame, along with hockey guy.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed the ceremonies. I like opera and enjoyed Anna Netrebko. I love men's choruses and loved listening to them. I love classical music - especially Tchaikovsky. I love ballet and classical dancing. I thought Rodnina a great choice.

I saw Gracie, Alex and Maia, and Jason. Who did I miss?

I will now wait for the Shib's new video.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    There were photos on social media of all the American figure skaters except Polina-- anyone know if she wasn't able to attend the opening?
    It's entirely possible that she isn't there yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast