Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Opening Ceremony

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    It's entirely possible that she isn't there yet.
    She was still in Germany yesterday, per her Twitter.

  2. #32
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,431
    Very enjoyable ceremony. I think I have only ever seen 3 Olympic Opening Ceremonies (Beijing Summer, Vancouver Winter, and Sochi Winter), and I'm dithereing between Beijing and Sochi for my favourite.

    Of the whole night, I think my favourite part was actually one of the formalities. The singing of the Russian National Anthem.

    Normally, the only National Anthem to send my heart a-flutter is the German Anthem. Haydn's "Oesterreich" is one of my favourite pieces of music ever! But that rendition of the Russian Anthem did it too. It was just beautiful.

    I REALLY want to get my hands on a recording of the audio of that performance!

    And wee Liza who was playing "Lubov" was just amazing! What a performance for somebody so young! And what an honour, too!

    Just one thing, though - she was wearing far too much make-up! Having been on the stage myself a couple of times when I was at school, I know you have to put on a lot of make-up for the lights. But that looked like it was put on with a trowell!!!

    And I found it very interesting that Lubov means "love" in Russian.

    It's a good job Pairs skater Lubov Ilushechkina doesn't live in Northern Ireland, because she could find life over here very confusing. A typical way to get a female's attention is to shout "here, love" to her. Miss Ilushechkina would be reacting every time she heard it, whether it was directed at her or not!!!

    But, on a VERY positive note, all three of the Ulster girls were not only in the parade, but they were shown on camera!!!

    And Aimee Fuller even got a close-up shot!!!

    A thing I was a bit annoyed about, though, was that I wasn't able to pick out anybody I knew in the Russian or American teams in the parade. There were just too many people and they kept changing camera shots!!!

    The only Russian skaters I recognised all afternoon were Moskvina and Tarasova, and they were in the VIP box!

    CaroLiza_fan

  3. #33
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I actually loved the Canadian opening ceremonies. They were modest and unassuming, and they reflected a country that has a small population and is young in cultural heritage. But they had moments of great beauty that reflected the Canadian character and also the land. That "flying scene" over the prairies is still one of my go-to YouTube videos.
    Loved the Calgary opening ceremony too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I loved London too, Louisa. But then I'm a children's literature buff, and they had me at hello.

    The opening tableau of this Sochi ceremony was magical, absolutely magical. Visually sumptuous. And they used Borodin's music! I was practically afloat with delight.

    I'm always a sucker for the parade of nations, too. The national diversity is awesome--and the costumes!--and it's fascinating to find out about the backgrounds of the athletes. Not everyone is a young kid who lives his or her sport wall to wall every day. Some are businessmen or bricklayers; one is a prince; one young woman is a concert violinist. Vive la difference!
    I love the music to the Russian National Anthem (wish I could understand the words), also for the Olympic Hymn. Loved all the classical music played throughout the ceremonies. Firebird for the torch lighting!

    Javier in the Parade of Nations & Brian O. in the Spanish contingent. Tamara Moskvina in the VIP box!

  4. #34
    Comeback Queen! ARipp42014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,492
    I thought the OC was nice (even with the snowflake/Olympic ring error). Thank goodness NBC did not edit anything out while showing extended coverage on the Americans' march to the stadium.

    Btw who's the ridiculously hot guy from the Dutch team?

    Oh Tara and Johnny is on NBCSN right now! Both looking fab as always!

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    Btw who's the ridiculously hot guy from the Dutch team?
    Uh... well, we have a few, and the flag bearer was a woman, so... could you be a bit more specific? ;-)
    To help you narrow it down, probably a speed skater, and probably not one of the long-distance skaters (because they are skating this afternoon, and I don't think they were at the ceremony).

  6. #36
    Comeback Queen! ARipp42014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie_20 View Post
    Uh... well, we have a few, and the flag bearer was a woman, so... could you be a bit more specific? ;-)
    To help you narrow it down, probably a speed skater, and probably not one of the long-distance skaters (because they are skating this afternoon, and I don't think they were at the ceremony).
    I know it's not Sven Kramer (even though he's cute) but he on the left of the flag bearer. Shaggy light brown/blonde hair, looks like James Maslow of BTR.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    I know it's not Sven Kramer (even though he's cute) but he on the left of the flag bearer. Shaggy light brown/blonde hair, looks like James Maslow of BTR.
    Hhhmmm..., Michel Mulder, maybe? http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-michel-mulder
    Otherwise you could try looking here: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/team-netherlands-athletes

    annoyingly enough, he has a twin brother who is also at the Olympics, lol.

    edited to add: Oh, I was looking at the video again, and I think you may have meant Mark Tuitert, then.

  8. #38
    Comeback Queen! ARipp42014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie_20 View Post
    Hhhmmm..., Michel Mulder, maybe? http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-michel-mulder
    Otherwise you could try looking here: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/team-netherlands-athletes
    Yeah that's him! It's funny because when you say it fast enough, that's my husband's name!

    It's cool to see Chara carrying the Slovak flag. Good for the Boston Bruins for letting him fly to Sochi so he can do this honor.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    Yeah that's him! It's funny because when you say it fast enough, that's my husband's name!
    Ah, nice, long live the internet for providing the answer to this fun question!
    For some reason the video I was watching only seemed to bother showing Mark Tuitert, but I googled the name James Maslow, and I agree Michel Mulder does rather look like him. Kewl.

  10. #40
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    we lost power due to a wicked wind storm... so I missed it anyway this American can watch a rebroadcast online?

  11. #41
    Comeback Queen! ARipp42014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    we lost power due to a wicked wind storm... so I missed it anyway this American can watch a rebroadcast online?
    nbcolympics.com

  12. #42
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    nbcolympics.com
    I've looked but the only link that I found doesn't load for me

  13. #43
    Comeback Queen! ARipp42014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I've looked but the only link that I found doesn't load for me
    I would need to use my cable provider to log in and watch on demand. However, ads were getting on my nerves.

  14. #44
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    I would need to use my cable provider to log in and watch on demand. However, ads were getting on my nerves.
    yeah I am logged in... it's just not working

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    Btw who's the ridiculously hot guy from the Dutch team?
    Your ridiculously hot guy just won a gold medal in the speed skating. His twin brother won the bronze (and another Dutchman the silver, which is the second clean sweep this week). ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •