Russian coach: The US will help us win team gold and pairs | Golden Skate

Russian coach: The US will help us win team gold and pairs

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Article/Petits-arrangements-entre-amis/10186

big up to wallylutz for the new and improved, non bad google translation!

Here is the proper English translation :

As a part of its colorful history, Figure Skating competitions have always had its share of controversies. After all, what would Figure Skating be without the scandals and the drama? For instance, in 1927 when Sonja Henie won her first world title (out of 10 World titles) in Oslo (on home ice), it was tainted by a controversy. The young Norwegian was favored in a split decision by 3 judges against 2 over the Austrian, Herma Szabo...to be exact, by 3 Norwegian judges.

Since then, the list of controversial decisions has become much longer over the years. For instance, as we saw yesterday, during the inaugural opening of the Team Event in Figure Skating. Russia and Canada, the overwhelming favorites for the Team Gold medal on Sunday, are leading after Men and Pairs SP. Three times World Champion, Patrick Chan, who downgraded his jump combination and stepped out on his Triple Axel, allowed a slower but more successful jumper in Evgeni Plushenko to place slightly ahead. These two skaters are way behind the magnificent Japanese skater, Yuzuru Hanyu. Moments later, a spectacular performance to the Masquerade Waltz performed by V/T was without a doubt better than the respectable performance of D/R. Therefore, it is evident why Russia is currently ahead of Canada.

A Russian Coach : "The United States will help us win the Gold medal in the Team Event and in Pairs"

But one needs to look beyond what meets the eyes. If one were to pay attention since the (Olympic) judges' draw last autumn, it wouldn't be hard to notice the flurry of "activities" and politicking that has been taking place almost like a courtship dance. The various deal exchanges between the so called "friends" reminds us again why Figure Skating may look like a circus on ice. With its share of rumors regarding under-the-table deals or potential future favors / IOU, not surprisingly, Russia is again at the center of most of these speculations, including the most damning ones.

Translator's note : The 3rd paragraph is especially hard to translate. English and French cannot be translated literarly and sometimes, I am forced to combine sentences before translating in order to stay true to the meaning of the author and convey the imagery he intends to get across.

Humiliated over the fact that Russia did not win a single Olympic title (in Figure Skating) at the 2010 Winter Games, Russia intends to avenge this insult by taking at least two OGM at the Sochi Games (in Figure Skating), that is in Team Event and in Pairs, thanks to V/T, the current World Champions in Pairs. In order to better their chances, the host of the 2014 Games has negotiated with many nations. A prominent Russian coach, who requested to remain anonymous, described the deal with the United States : "As we don't have any directly conflicting "interests" per say, they (USA) will help us win the gold medal in the Team Event and in Pairs. In return, we will promise to support Davis/White in Ice Dance over Canadians, Virtue/Moir, as this will mean the first OGM for the USA in Ice Dance."

France and Italy, who both hope to win the Bronze medal (in Ice Dance) have also obtained promise of support from Russia...notwithstanding the fact that there are two Ice Dance duos from Moscow who also hope to win this prize as well. This situation will undoubtedly remind us of the controversy in 2002 caused by Marie-Reine Le Gougne, the French judge in the Pairs event who later disclosed publicly that she deliberately favored the Russians (over the Canadians) as demanded by the President of FFSG - Didier Gailhaguet. The 2002 deal was supposed to be a trade for Russia's vote in favor of Anissina/Peizerat in Ice Dance, except the French were in direct competition with the Russians for the OGM, and the Russian judge obviously did not deliver what was promised to the French and voted in favor of the Russian duo for OGM.

At the end, two Gold medals were awarded in the Pairs event in 2002 while, on other hand, both French officials (Le Gougne and Gailhaguet) have been suspended for 3 years and a new judging system was eventually created. Anissina/Peizerat deserved their Olympic win, the fact is a true victory can withstand the test of time and any close scrutiny post-mortem by other people. Despite all controversies and attempts at manipulating the results, the winner is more often than not, well deserved.

Translator's note: I am not surprised google translate struggles with this particular article. The author is quite knowledgeable, if not well researched about figure skating. She often spoke assuming the audience already knows certain facts and omit those details in her writing such that casual fans who follow figure skating once every 4 years are guaranteed to be lost. L'équipe is a very well respected sports newspaper in france, its status is comparable to sports illustrated in the u.s. So this not some tabloid who reported on anything and everything. Despite the source being anonymous, one can be sure this wasn't made up from thin air.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
i knew the fix was in when plushy got his plushyflation scores tbh

A reigning OSM and former OGM is not going to lose to a program with two errors at home. The placement of Plushenko barely ahead of Chan was correct. Patrick's score would have been almost 10 points higher if he were clean.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
another google mistranslation

like D/W need the secret judging
they are way ahead of V/M and they would comfortably win

I see some bitter people who want to smear V/T and D/W

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
A reigning OSM and former OGM is not going to lose to a program with two errors at home. The placement of Plushenko barely ahead of Chan was correct. Patrick's score would have been almost 10 points higher if he were clean.

agreed, apparently someone has an amnesia how Chanflated Fraud skated
he was a mess and deservingly got 3rd place

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

sry but plushy's program was a mess apart from his jumps, he deserved a much lower score

emdee

Final Flight
another google mistranslation

like D/W need the secret judging
they are way ahead of V/M and they would comfortably win

I see some bitter people who want to smear V/T and D/W

Yes they have been moved ahead even when they messed up the twizzles in the GPF.... that smells bad!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
lol i don't even care about sir choke-a-lot and he got the score he deserved, but plushy was overscored fo sure

so basically choke-a-lot should have scored higher then as you think Plushenko was overscored
Chan was overmarked should have score in 85 rage

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
so basically choke-a-lot should have scored higher then as you think Plushenko was overscored
Chan was overmarked should have score in 85 rage

uhhh no, i don't think chan should have scored higher, i literally just said that he got the score he deserved

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes they have been moved ahead even when they messed up the twizzles in the GPF.... that smells bad!

did you mean V/M ?

anyways V/M are technically/ in program components inferior and weaker than D/W
I dont see them beating D/W barring a major disaster
they need to catch up in TES, even W/P , C/L and I/K can beat them in TES

D/W have speed, lightness and effortless lifts
than V/M can only wish they have naturally

OK, so Russia and The U.S. are ganging up on Canada in the team event, pairs, and dance. But wait -- Russia also promised the bronze in ice ance to both Italy and France, throwing the Russian dancers to the wolves. I think I like this anonymous coach. :yes:

elif

Medalist

Saying a fix was there a disrespect to all skaters. Plushenko only can beat Chan If judges helps. Davis/White only can beat Virtue/Moir If judges helps. Bla bla bla. :no: I'm already hating this thread. Sorry.

emdee

Final Flight
did you mean V/M ?

anyways V/M are technically/ in program components inferior and weaker than D/W
I dont see them beating D/W barring a major disaster
they need to catch up in TES, even W/P , C/L and I/K can beat them in TES

D/W have speed, lightness and effortless lifts
than V/M can only wish they have naturally

Obviously you didnt watch the GPF.....

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
OK, so Russia and The U.S. are ganging up on Canada in the team event, pairs, and dance. But wait -- Russia also promised the bronze in ice ance to both Italy and France, throwing the Russian dancers to the wolves. I think I like this anonymous coach. :yes:

doent make sense if you ask me

this is more like desperate V/M ubers making false stories

emdee

Final Flight
The fix has been rumoured for some time - now someone has verbalized it openly that is the only difference.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

Russia has been very promiscuous with other nations. I think the US should go to a doctor for a check up. You know, just to be on the safe side.

emdee

Final Flight
Saying a fix was there a disrespect to all skaters. Plushenko only can beat Chan If judges helps. Davis/White only can beat Virtue/Moir If judges helps. Bla bla bla. :no: I'm already hating this thread. Sorry.

Its the fixing that is a disrespect to skaters. Saying it is so just brings it to the open.