Russian coach: The US will help us win team gold and pairs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian coach: The US will help us win team gold and pairs

elif

Medalist
Her location on the sidebar says "Istanbul," so Turkey.

Yes. I' from Turkey. But in my country newspapers can't write nameless stories as a fact. This is a crime for us -unfortunately-. So my heart in Canada. Their media is so truthful. :laugh:

Mia_

Rinkside
Is that serious?! Turkey has no good skaters competitive for not even top 10 anything so they won't make deals for medals. Maybe for quotas for worlds, who knows.
I thought L'Equipe is a French newspaper.

elif

Medalist
Is that serious?! Turkey has no good skaters competitive for not even top 10 anything so they won't make deals for medals. Maybe for quotas for worlds, who knows.
I thought L'Equipe is a French newspaper.

Of course I'm not serious :laugh: I'm just seeing things like Canadians fans, which is very easy. Blame judges and other countries :laugh:

emdee

Final Flight
If D&W skate the way they did at U.S. Nationals,there should be no questions, particularly if V&M skate the way they did at Canadian Nationals. If there is a nameless Russian coach, my guess is that it is I&K's coach in 2012. His interview after 2012 Worlds said that he believed that I&K finished higher there than previously exactly because no Russian judges were on the panel.

It sounds like the same kind of thinking. I tend to be skeptical of anonymous sources who report stuff to newspapers that they should be reporting to the authorities. And why on earth would a Russian coach be told by the Russian, Italian, or French Fed that this was going down?

Sounds like shades of Joe Inman's letter, except that Inman was enough of a mensch to sign his letter.

I too tend to be skeptical of anonymous sources but where would watergate be without deep throat?

wallylutz

Medalist
thanks wallylutz, i'll edit the original post

You are welcome. I am not surprised Google translate struggles with this particular article. The author is quite knowledgeable, if not well researched about Figure Skating. She often spoke assuming the audience already knows certain facts and omit those details in her writing such that casual fans who follow Figure Skating once every 4 years are guaranteed to be lost. L'Équipe is a very well respected sports newspaper in France, its status is comparable to Sports Illustrated in the U.S. So this not some tabloid who reported on anything and everything. Despite the source being anonymous, one can be sure this wasn't made up from thin air.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
L'equipe owned by Éditions Philippe Amaury who are largest promoters of sports events in France, including the Tour de France and Paris–Roubaix bicycle races, says wikipedia. They could have insider information easily. Of course biggest and most truthful newspaper in the world can't make mistakes so I'm believing this story with my whole heart. Canada for team gold.:party2:

I never said we should believe the article. I said the article can't be dismissed out of hand due to the history of the newspaper reporting it. The people that said the same things a lot of people are saying here when they reported over Lance got burn hard.

FWIW I think the judges generally get it right and while I wouldn't be shocked to hear there was some minor favour trading going on its not a prospect that keeps me up at night.

Of course I'm not serious :laugh: I'm just seeing things like Canadians fans, which is very easy. Blame judges and other countries :laugh:

Ya, Canadians are really the worse judge bashers out there. Give me a break. If I got a dime every time someone said that Chan was guaranteed an OGM due to some wide ranging conspiracy I'd have the money to buy buy the medal from whoever won the men's single contest. Even when it came to the pairs scandal, I doubt it would have ended the way it did if it wasn't for NBC's indignation.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
you are welcome. I am not surprised google translate struggles with this particular article. The author is quite knowledgeable, if not well researched about figure skating. She often spoke assuming the audience already knows certain facts and omit those details in her writing such that casual fans who follow figure skating once every 4 years are guaranteed to be lost. L'équipe is a very well respected sports newspaper in france, its status is comparable to sports illustrated in the u.s. So this not some tabloid who reported on anything and everything. Despite the source being anonymous, one can be sure this wasn't made up from thin air.

how interesting

emdee

Final Flight
I never said we should believe the article. I said the article can't be dismissed out of hand due to the history of the newspaper reporting it. The people that said the same things a lot of people are saying here when they reported over Lance got burn hard.

FWIW I think the judges generally get it right and while I wouldn't be shocked to hear there was some minor favour trading going on its not a prospect that keeps me up at night.

Ya, Canadians are really the worse judge bashers out there. Give me a break. If I got a dime every time someone said that Chan was guaranteed an OGM due to some wide ranging conspiracy I'd have the money to buy buy the medal from whoever won the men's single contest. Even when it came to the pairs scandal, I doubt it would have ended the way it did if it wasn't for NBC's indignation.

Well if VM loses to DW because of this it will keep me up at night. When two teams are so close it becomes very pertinent.

As for patrick being guaranteed an OGM the only person who can get him one is himself with a super skate. If he fails so be it.

wallylutz

Medalist
Thanks for the translation, Wallylutz. I wish the "anonymous Russian coach" had supplied some details or evidence. Maybe it was the coach of the Russian dance teams or Russian ladies who are saying, hey, what about us?

Math, you have very good memory so I am sure you can recall back at TEB a few month ago, there were already rumors and speculations floating around re: USA in Ice Dance. I can now confirm I did hear those rumors as well back then, which is why I was paying attention to Judy Blumberg in particular and subsequently expressed my dismay at what I saw and what I think was going on. Naturally, many people thought I was crazy, one of which is the our very own Ziggy who thinks all is well and all is proper in Ice Dance. In Figure Skating, you have to be very, very politically aware and sadly, not so much about your actual knowledge or experience. There are a ton of people who are very knowledgeable about FS but these people can never be more involved beyond local club level due the lack of political awareness or simply put, naive, no offense to Ziggy, but his enthusiasm reminds me of these people, who are otherwise very knowledgeable and passionate. Then, a week later, we saw what happened at the Russia GP, which prompted a flurry of outcries and even drew an unusual tweet from the otherwise neutral Jeff Buttle. I mean, as you can recall, every single Ice Dance team except the Russians get Lv 1 for their pattern dance segments and inexplicable downgrades such that even B/S eventually fell flat on their behinds in the FS, they could still win overall. After that, an Australian member at GS did a very interesting dig and revealed an unusual pattern of V/M being undermarked over the last 3 years by a particular U.S. judge (who happened to be the U.S. judge in Dance at Sochi now) such that even Mrs. P was unable to refute what that member dig up.

I am glad l'Équipe brought this to light. It is against these forum's rules to report rumors and even if it wasn't, can you imagine the reactions if I were the one to claim I have heard these rumors a few months ago? Seeing that l'Équipe is a French newspaper, I think we'll just leave it to each individual to form their own opinion. But don't say this came out of blue though, there were a lot of hints last autumn and were thoroughly discussed in these forums. The only difference is now a major newspaper is finally willing to break them and hopefully more newspapers will pick it up from this point.

treeloving

Medalist
Then, like A&P in 2002, D&W will have to dance so brilliantly that no one will question the win. People forget that the 2002 scandal was supposed to be that the French got a win for A&P in dance and the Russians would get a win for B&S in pairs. However, you never hear anyone claiming A&P's gold medal was somehow tainted.

I think right now anyone who understand stand figure skate even a little will not question B&S win either. For me, I question more the credit of US. media and how commentator blow up this scandal in the first place.

Isu though should be highly questioned!

Yuzu has gotten stable with his 4S
and he is only doing one in the FS

his practices at Sochi have been superb
am keeping track of his practice videos

He had a superb practices at Skate Canada too and he still did not skated to his potential there. Do not count too much on it.

Btw, on this issue, I would not be surprise at all if it turn out to be true, but I'm also quite certain that it is pot... kettle.... black in this case.

so basically choke-a-lot should have scored higher then as you think Plushenko was overscored
Chan was overmarked should have score in 85 rage

Chan had far superior CH, much more TR (and of far higher quality), better CH and he actually bothered to skate to the music. So yeah, he should have had a huge advantage on the PCS, PE aside. And the elements he did perform clean were of higher quality than Plushenko's as well. He should have easily beaten him.

elif

Medalist

As a Canadian fan not only you can blame judges, skaters, technical panels but you can blame other skating fans too. Being a canadian fan is really funny:laugh:

Just gave gold to Virtue/Moir. As a Canadian fan I will be very happy. Davis/White's performance is not important.:laugh:

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
As for patrick being guaranteed an OGM the only person who can get him one is himself with a super skate. If he fails so be it.

Patrick is obviously not guaranteed an OGM, and anyone who ever said he was should frankly refrain from commenting on figure skating ever again. My point is that there where plenty of people that made the claim that the judges would not let him lose, yet they bolt at the very suggestion that there is perhaps corruption in the judging that doesn't advantage a skater they dislike. Is hypocritical is all.

As a Canadian fan not only you can blame judges, skaters, technical panels but you can blame other skating fans too. Being a canadian fan is really funny:laugh:

Just gave gold to Virtue/Moir. As a Canadian fan I will be very happy. Davis/White's performance is not important.:laugh:

What makes you think I don't want Davis and White to win a gold medal? They are one of the best dance pair of all times, its the only thing they are missing from their resume and it might very well be their last chance to get it. If both teams retired after Sochi D/W winning would also be the perfect end to one of the best rivalry figure skating: one OGM and two worlds title each.

You seem really keen to put words in my mouth. I look forward to reading how you'll twist this post to mean something I didn't even imply.

Ravensque

On the Ice
That is precisely why I am up in arms.
I hope it is further investigated.

So do I emdee The more investigation of this the better. This is not sportsmanship, and I had to laugh at the oath taken on behalff of all judges/officials today............so meaningless.

The starting point in the investigation would be to find out who is the mysterious unnamed coach who is making these allegations, and what his source of information is.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I like how those who want to believe this is true completely ignores the question as to why a Russian official would out a scheme in which they're a part of, and if it were true, could get them in trouble as well, or the fact that this person also said they will support other countries as well, when there's only three medals available, yet support is apparently being given to five different countries.

I guess this is what some need to believe to make themselves feel better. Some ubers have said this for years, so I guess yay for you that you have it in print. Although it doesn't make any sense as to why the "whistle blower" would be part of the scheme, and why this person would want to tell the press that they're cheating to get a team gold, but whatever, no need for explanation, it's all fixed. :sarcasm: