Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

His jumps were probably the best ever some years ago. (even though it's difficult to compare them to Yagudin's). Now, I prefer Hanyu and Chan's jumps, they have more speed, more difficult entries and the jumps are more in harmony with the rest of the choreography. At the PCS, he wasn't the best, he can't be compared to Lambiel or Takahashi.
    Anyway, it's almost impossible to say who is the best figure skater ever, there's no criteria. Plushenko is an amazing skater, one of the best ever, but you can't say it's the best.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    His jumps were probably the best ever some years ago. (even though it's difficult to compare them to Yagudin's).
    Yes, it is difficult to compare them to Alexei.

Evgeni brings a lot of drama to skating. Is that good skating???

Custom Title
    I think his athletic ability is amazing. However I don't think he was the same skater he was in Vancouver or even before. I don't feel he's a complete skater though. If he and Patrick Chan or Hanyu all skated clean - he would come in third. I don't feel his presentation has matured at all. The camping to the crowd, the posturing, the blowing kisses last night just turned me off. I think Yagudin had the athletic ability AND the presentation. His choreography was far more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think his athletic ability is amazing. However I don't think he was the same skater he was in Vancouver or even before. I don't feel he's a complete skater though. If he and Patrick Chan or Hanyu all skated clean - he would come in third. I don't feel his presentation has matured at all. The camping to the crowd, the posturing, the blowing kisses last night just turned me off. I think Yagudin had the athletic ability AND the presentation. His choreography was far more mature.
    presentation?? http://www.kingonice.com/evgeni6-0.htm Alexei dosen't come to close to Plush :D

I don't know who is the best skater. But Cinquanta said Plushy is the best skater in past II. WW era.

Custom Title
    One statment stood out as Like Abbott and Takahashi plushenko is also past his prime by a lot but has an insanely amazing ability to almost always do what he did in his prime even if at a lower level of quality. So that's where the most remarkable strength lies! I doubt it's even teachable or trainable and plushenko does have qualities that make him a total marvel! Be so past a prime but compete as though you never left the prime.

What is the criteria? Longevity? Number of titles? Impact on the sport? Scores? Elements? Artistry? He has everything...

#RaiSport2 Cinquanta: "#Plushenko deserves all our respect, he has given more to #figureskating than many other figureskaters put together". He said this in last month

In North America he is often diminished, but not elsewhere in the world. I'm brave to say he is the most well-known figure skater in history. More people know his name like Yuna's or Mao's etc, the media interest is bigger then with anyone else.

He is role model for many skaters, Hanyu said not once Plush is his hero, he started to skate because of him..Amodio also said this in yesterday. Han Yan also..
    Verner, Lambiel, Weir, even Evan deeply respect him..

These are my considerations:

Number of titles: only major competitons: 1time Junior WCH(14 years), 10 times Russian Champ, 7 times Eu Champ, 3 times W Champ,1 time Olympic Ch, 2 times Olympic silver medalist, 4 times GPF gold medalist, other gold medals of GP, other medals of Eu, and WCh,he was 15 years old when he was 2. in senior EuCH and 3. in senior WCH.

Longevity: he won his first world bronze medal 1998, he was 15.

Dominance: I think it's unequivocal.

Impact on sport : I use Tomas Verner words: Last year he made his comeback by winning the Europeans’ in Sheffield… He is a skating legend. Evgeni is a great skater. He proved he really is a legend. He was a teenager when he started to win competitions, and year after year your are amazed by his consistency. He gave so much to figure skating. He is an incredible athlete.
    another interview:. Personally, to me is difficult to find a better skater than Plushenko in the history of figure skating.
    Daisuke in 2006:
    "oh, my god,, there was a God,,",
    I felt amazing aura,, he couldn't hide it" etc..

Impact on people: no doubt: "Plushenko has brilliant technique, overflowing grace and art, charisma and humour...and he is spectacular, amazing, incomparable, top quality... simply the best. It's difficult to find enough words to describe such a talent. oh, I forgot something? Yes! So powerful, yet so elegant, and just an utterly authoritative energy. He never fails to amaze. PLUSHENKO!"

" The God is exist-he is the proof"

Verner: And it's without mentioning of Evgeni Plushenko - probably the only one skater in the world, capable alone to filed full arena.

He has many fans in exotic countries..Mexico, Brasilia, Argentina, he has fans in India, Taiwan, in Arabic countries etc. and in Vatican! too she travelled to Pinzolo Plushy's training camp in last year.

Innovations : He landed the world first "Plushenko combination" 4-3-2 and 4-3-3, created beautiful and complex "Plushenko ring" spin. etc.

Artistry:
    At the age of 16 Plush was the youngest skater to ever receive a perfect score of 6.0. He received a total of 75 6.0s before the new judging system was introduced, most of them are the artistry points.

Diversity: Bolero, Sex Bomb, Asissai, Nijinsky, Hafanana, St. Petersburg 300, Crazy Bird, Pasadena, Only You, Adagio, Tango and Flamenco, Godfather, Swan..need more?

This is a Canadian woman:
    "I rest my point on jumps. I've seen literally thousands of hours of Plushenko skating over his career, and have done tons of biomechanical analyses of his and several skaters' jumps, spins, and footwork. Not only is he better than almost every other skater EVER in terms of his completeness in ALL aspects of skating, he's also eerily consistent. I think Plushenko does what's required of him, given the competition or performance standards. If you look at how he skated earlier in his career, he did what he did to maximize the 6.0 system. When we moved to IJS, he adjusted his performance to maximize THAT system (2006). And I've seen him in several ice shows where he rivaled John Curry in his artistry. An artistic athlete who can do whatever is required of him and still win gold (and hearts) is the champ!"

Dick Button's tweets yesterday:

Re: Plushenko. In my book, #PushDicksButton, I explain I only criticize skaters I think are really talented. (1/2) #Sochi2014

Plushenko has theater in his blood. That's why we watch and comment on him. (2/2) #PushDicksButton #Sochi2014 #figureskate

So ou really think he isn't the best because he is not perfect in spins? I don't know..

Custom Title
    He is surely not, not even this competition here.
    A good short program with some strange landing but good jump contents certainly doesn't make him the best.
    Strange. After a 2nd place short program out of 10 competitors leaded to this question????

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    A good short program with some strange landing but good jump contents certainly doesn't make him the best.
    Strange. After a 2nd place short program out of 10 competitors leaded to this question????
    Like some other champions Yagudin or Orser or Lysacek or Kulik or Stojko or Lambiel going to take first place yesterday in team short program. This shouldn't be in criteria because I'm very sure 20 years later Hanyu or Chan can't pass other younger skaters too.

Yes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Like some other champions Yagudin or Orser or Lysacek or Kulik or Stojko or Lambiel going to take first place yesterday in team short program. This shouldn't be in criteria because I'm very sure 20 years later Hanyu or Chan can't pass other younger skaters too.
    My "best ever" one's:
    1.Curry
    2.Yagudin
    3.Cranston
    4.Lambiel
    5.Plushenko (nowdays officially Plyushchenko)-because of his longevity and competitivity, otherwise I prefer Kurt Browning in all the other criterias.

My "best ever" one's:
    1.Curry
    2.Yagudin
    3.Cranston
    4.Lambiel
    5.Plushenko (nowdays officially Plyushchenko)-because of his longevity and competitivity, otherwise I prefer Kurt Browning in all the other criterias.
    this is your personal list, of course.. everybody has a list.. and I'm sure for example Lambiel and Yagudin swap their place with Plushy on your list if they got his respects, results and admiration..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    presentation?? http://www.kingonice.com/evgeni6-0.htm But Cinquanta said Plushy is the best skater in past II. WW era.
    Cinquanta? What does he know about figure?

Great/amazing competitor, but my greatest figure skaters would include Dick Button, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning ...

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTriple View Post
    Cinquanta? What does he know about figure?
    nothing. but he is the ISU president and an IOC member. If he says something we can't ignore it..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast