Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

Custom Title
    He certainly is the most successful modern skater but when I think of individual performances that amazed me athletically and moved me emotionally. Skates that I'll watch over again, none are his. Kwan was the best at creating that magic for me, but Yagudin, Abbott, Lambiel, Buttle, and kozuka can too. Plushy never has for me

Custom Title
    Yagudin is better

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    "oh, my god,, there was a God,,",
    I felt amazing aura,, he couldn't hide it" etc..

" The God is exist-he is the proof"

As others have said - he's the best competitor. Nothing phases him.

Best skater is too subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    Dai said this: "oh, my god,, there was a God,,",
    I felt amazing aura,, he couldn't hide it" etc..

" The God is exist-he is the proof" this is a comment to this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4

sorry if i was equivocal

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I agree with assessment of him as the best jumper ever, but not best all around skater.

I was blown away by the height and ice coverage of his jumps when we saw him live from the second row at a COI tour in 2006. And he may have feline DNA because he seems to always land on his feet. I don't know of any other skater who can look so tilted or messed up in the air and still pull out a clean landing almost every time. His Vancouver free skate definitely showed off that ability. But nothing else about his skating has ever impressed me, not live or on television.
    In his peak about 10 years ago, Uncle Dick kept commenting on how insanely tilted his air positions were and how amazed he was that Plush could still land them. It was very rough on the ankles. Clearly, Plush had great edges that he didn't really maximize in his footwork sequences until COP required him to. Plush's ability to land jumps is more due to sheer grit and determination. He really abused himself physically as his frequent injuries show. His technique is excellent but it could have been more refined to the point that his jumps could have hurt his body less. He is probably the best competitor ever in figure skating. He's been landing quads for nearly 2 decades after many great skaters have come and gone. He really is the Michelle Kwan of Russia, a legend.

as I said I don't know who is the best skater..that's really too subjective. But the greates coaches are saying these opinions:

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Arutunian "Plushenko is on a new level"
    http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic1...reviews/40863/
    english translation on FSU
    EV: What do you think of him?
    RA: He is certainly no worse than he was in Vancouver or Torino. I would say it's a different quality. During the first two Olympics he was an ordinary athlete. I wouldn't call him a professional even though he won in Torino. Back then he was very consistent and could win even in a so so shape he was back then. Now it's a true professional.

EV: Was it different I don't think he would stay in figure skating for so long
    RA: Exactly! He understands what is he doing and why. It's a rare in the sport. Though taking the current competition he might end up being far from the podium.

EV: I personally would love to see him competing in the personal event. Though agree, it's quite a risk.
    RA: It's all about what does Pluschenko himself want. You saw how on the first day of the team event Jeremy Abbott was skating right after Pluschenko. He completely fell apart! For many skaters Pluschenko is a threat just by showing up in the competition. Perhaps it's a feeling he enjoys even more than the actual competition? If I were Pluschenko's coach I would ask him `What do you want?' and accept any decision.

Brian Orser:http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur...reviews/28399/

google translation:
    Plushenko - supertalant . And the fact that he is still willing and able to compete with the younger guys , is admirable . What really surprised me in Zagreb - is his refusal to quadruple jump in the short program . Because Plushenko - unbeaten fighter. After what he did at the last European Championships in Sheffield, I became a fan of his . True . Remember thinking, OK, we have to admit he is a god figure skating, if he can fight like this. It was just amazing ! I did see him in training - so calm , even relaxed . But Plushenko knows exactly how to gather, when you go to the start. I know that he really wants to perform in Sochi, and I can only wish him to fully recover and get in shape . People like it , pushing all the other forward. This concerns my students . They look at him with wide eyes . Besides Plushenko - one of those people that surrounds special aura they create around themselves a special atmosphere. And it is impossible not to notice .

Is he the GOAT? Statistically, yeah. But personally, I prefer the Yagudins, Lambiels, Buttles, Takahashis, Hanyus, and Chans of the skating world. Plushenko's skating almost always leaves me cold. But won't deny his talent.

Medalist
    No that would be Dick Button he did the 1st triple jump,the 1st double axel 2 OLympic titles .

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Plushenko is the best competitor and jumper for sure!

Curry, Cousins, Boitano, Browning, Petrenko, Wylie, Urmanov, Kulik, Yagudin, Lambiel, Buttle, Jahnke, Savoie, Takahashi, Chan, Kozuka, Abbott, Brown, & Firus are far better skaters though.

Mishin:
    “Many skaters are good, but Evgeni has charisma,” said Alexei Mishin, his longtime coach. “He radiates power. He radiates a sense of beauty. He radiates something what spectacles need. The majority loves him, the minority jealous.”

Custom Title
    I'd say he's definitely the best competitor for sure, and his charisma can't be denied. I'd hold off on the 'best jumper' title though. It'll be interesting to see how Yuzuru develops over the next quad, as I think he has some of the most beautiful and effortless jumps of the field.

On the prime time television coverage in the U.S. that concluded a few minutes ago, Scott Hamilton looked straight into the camera and said, "Evgeny Plushenko is...the…greatest…male…figure skater… of all time --or at least the most successful."
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-09-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Custom Title
    He is - the greatest male competitor, period - and yes, successful - and yes, charismatic in spades. The sheer command he has over the ice and audience is spellbinding. So, all the stuff already said. One of kind.

Custom Title
    I agree, except I would switch out Taka for Kozuka.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    He certainly is the most successful modern skater but when I think of individual performances that amazed me athletically and moved me emotionally. Skates that I'll watch over again, none are his. Kwan was the best at creating that magic for me, but Yagudin, Abbott, Lambiel, Buttle, and kozuka can too. Plushy never has for me

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast