Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Those ones didn't have quad jumps. Simple as that. Bring some one with quads.

And yet again, we go back to the original argument. It's not just jumps and medals. Hence why several people, not just myself, agree that he's the best jumper and competitor and with the best consistency, with one of the best records, but not even close to being the best skater.

bestskate8

On the Ice
FS still is a sport! and if Plushenko has quads and Button didn't, Button couldn't be better SKATER of the SF AS A SPORT! Simple.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
FS still is a sport! and if Plushenko has quads and Button didn't, Button couldn't be better SKATER of the SF AS A SPORT! Simple.

So are Midori and Mao better than Yu Na, because Yu Na has never done a 3A? Bring someone with triple axels! :sarcasm: In that case, Miki is the best female figure skater of all time since she's the only one with a ratified quad. :laugh:

bestskate8

On the Ice
And yet again, we go back to the original argument. It's not just jumps and medals. Hence why several people, not just myself, agree that he's the best jumper and competitor and with the best consistency, with one of the best records, but not even close to being the best skater.

I don't know what you are talking about, I am talking about FS as SPORT! Plushenko is well-rounded skater and for now has best record with quad jumps, so he is the best!
If you want to talk about something else, then its a different story.

bestskate8

On the Ice
So are Midori and Mao better than Yu Na, because Yu Na has never done a 3A? Bring someone with triple axels! :sarcasm: In that case, Miki is the best female figure skater of all time since she's the only one with a ratified quad. :laugh:

sorry, but those girls you mane don't have better record then Yu Na, it has to be both to be the best:)

bestskate8

On the Ice
You sound almost as clueless as CSG (and boy that is hard to do, believe me). Button was decades ahead of time in jumps. He was the first to do a triple loop, one of the middle hard triples, before anyone else could do a triple jump of any kind. Only a few years before that he did the first ever double axel by a man, something only 1 or 2 other guys could do by the time he already had a triple loop. He did all that while graduating law school, acting, and pushing the sport artistically (for the time) as well.

well, time is go, and there will be someone better the Plushenko one day, because SF is a sport. ok IMHO;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Nope but he is a rockstar :p Seriously , Is there a ' best ever' ?anyway when Chan gets 31 to 2022 Olys we will have a discussion again.
He is certainly a happy one finishing his career in his home country. Off topic, Lambiel is here!!

Last edited:

ciocio

On the Ice
Well, in that case, Dick Button, Ulrich Salchow, Karl Schafer and Gillis Grafstrom are arguably better than Plushenko by virtue of having more world+Olympic titles than him.

They are all LEGENDS of figure skating and it´s impossible to compare them since they skated in different eras, under different scoring systems etc. Skaters will probably have more difficult programs in the future, they could also have longer careers than Plushenko, who knows, and some of them will join the club of legends.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But while Button had no quad, I'll bet a cookie he could totally pwn Plush in figures. ;)
So could Trixi Schuba :D

They and others are all great skaters of their time, and I never understood why people need to pick a greatest among them all. Plushenko's one of the most accomplished skaters ever, how's that for a description?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Screw all the youngest blahblah award!

Plushy might hold on to the record of being the oldest man to land a quad (in combination?) in competition. The competition happens to be the Olympics, his 4th. :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
Screw all the youngest blahblah award!

Plushy might hold on to the record of being the oldest man to land a quad (in combination?) in competition. The competition happens to be the Olympics, his 4th. :biggrin:

What about the youngest AND oldest? ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
Amen. And I would also add disrespectful to the sport!!! But I do give him kudos for putting his body through this again. Just wish with all the choreographers in the country of Russia that they could have possibly come up with a well-rounded program with no posturing, blowing kisses and pandering to the crowd.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Plushy is definitely one of the greatest. But so is Dick. And yes, there's no need to pick one.

I was objecting to the x has a quad, therefore he is a better skater than Y historical figure type of reasoning. That would make Tim Goebel better than Plushy because he could land 3 quads in an FS, two of different types, and Plush couldn't...and I doubt you could find anyone here that would take that position.

And I object to the assumption that there wasn't anythings the historical guys did better than today's skaters. One of the obvious things is, of course, school figures. And I'll bet a cookie that Trixie could beat Dick as well as Plushy in them. Trixie was all kinds of awesome, and I dislike the tendency to devalue what she could do because she wasn't a great free skater.

They also did much better blurred scratch spins. And some of the ladies had lots more attractive laybacks. :)slink: and some not )

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skaters who are better than Plushenko: Kurt Browning, Alexi Yagudin, Dick Button, Daisuke Takahashi, Patrick Chan, John Curry, to name a few. I know there are more.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Plushenko WD from the competition today. The end of a great career, hopefully his injury isn't too bad. Honestly, I didn't see him being able to make it through the LP tomorrow given the state of his back and how he looked at the end of his LP the other night.