Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Plushy is definitely one of the greatest. But so is Dick. And yes, there's no need to pick one.

I was objecting to the x has a quad, therefore he is a better skater than Y historical figure type of reasoning. That would make Tim Goebel better than Plushy because he could land 3 quads in an FS, two of different types, and Plush couldn't...and I doubt you could find anyone here that would take that position.

And I object to the assumption that there wasn't anythings the historical guys did better than today's skaters. One of the obvious things is, of course, school figures. And I'll bet a cookie that Trixie could beat Dick as well as Plushy in them. Trixie was all kinds of awesome, and I dislike the tendency to devalue what she could do because she wasn't a great free skater.

They also did much better blurred scratch spins. And some of the ladies had lots more attractive laybacks. ( and some not )
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-12-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Skaters who are better than Plushenko: Kurt Browning, Alexi Yagudin, Dick Button, Daisuke Takahashi, Patrick Chan, John Curry, to name a few. I know there are more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Amen. And I would also add disrespectful to the sport!!!
    What's disrespectful to the sport in mixing your past programs?

Custom Title
    He's one of the best.

Custom Title
    Plushenko WD from the competition today. The end of a great career, hopefully his injury isn't too bad. Honestly, I didn't see him being able to make it through the LP tomorrow given the state of his back and how he looked at the end of his LP the other night.

Custom Title
    Aw. not happy about that but hope he is OK. I was so looking forward to seeing him compete because he always adds excitement to the competition. At least we won't have to hear how the Russians inflated his scores again.

Wow. I haven't been a fan of his since the last Olympics, but now I am sad nonetheless. He is certainly an athlete that brought a lot to the sport and who in some ways was a positive role model though his incredible work and perseverance.

Custom Title
    I would not say that Plushenko is the best of all, but he definetely is the most decorated male singles skater in last 50 years.

Custom Title
    I feel bad for Kovtun! Russia loses its spot in the men's individual now, right? The WD was too late?

Custom Title
    Does anybody think it's just spin that supposedly Kovtun wasn't ready to come to Sochi so that's why Plush stayed in the competition even though - and Mishin - knew he was hurt? I can't imagine Kovtun going on vacation or sitting around getting fat when the very good possibility was Plush wouldn't be able to skate. It's sad for any champion to have to withdraw and end his career that way but somehow I still feel some of it has been contrived.

Custom Title
    Although I feel horrible for Kovtun, and a WD is an anti-climactic end, there's no denying the stellar career Plushenko has had. He's easily the most consistent skater and a remarkable jumper.

Plushenko's programs weren't always to my liking, but he skated them with passion that many skaters don't have, and represented Russia very well - way longer than he even needed to cement himself as one of figure skating's all-time greats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Does anybody think it's just spin that supposedly Kovtun wasn't ready to come to Sochi so that's why Plush stayed in the competition even though - and Mishin - knew he was hurt? I can't imagine Kovtun going on vacation or sitting around getting fat when the very good possibility was Plush wouldn't be able to skate. It's sad for any champion to have to withdraw and end his career that way but somehow I still feel some of it has been contrived.
    Contrived?! Russia?! Never! Total spin. With the potential of Plushenko pulling out, Kovtun was definitely on the sidelines... and Plushenko had 3 days to WD. There are alternates for each country ready to skate in case of a withdrawal, let alone when it's a big possibility of a withdrawal.

wasn't kovtun an alternate? they should have let him do individual, tough federation.

Custom Title
    With Plushenko retired I can officially proclaim that Yagudin is a better skater.

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    With Plushenko retired I can officially proclaim that Yagudin is a better skater.
    Always was, IMO.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast