Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Contrived?! Russia?! Never! Total spin. With the potential of Plushenko pulling out, Kovtun was definitely on the sidelines... and Plushenko had 3 days to WD. There are alternates for each country ready to skate in case of a withdrawal, let alone when it's a big possibility of a withdrawal.
    Actually, no, he didn't. The deadline to WD and still be replaced was I think about 10am the morning after the team event, when Plushenko still would have had adrenaline buzzing around his body from winning gold and when he might have thought "I always feel this way after a competition". Any time after that deadline he could not be replaced. It was, I thought, the most stupid part of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    wasn't kovtun an alternate? they should have let him do individual, tough federation.
    Yes, Kovtun was the alternate. As I explained above, it wasn't a "let" situation.

And anyway, Kovtun has no right to be mad. If he wanted to skate at the Olympics, then maybe he should have skated a bit better at Worlds last year!

Custom Title
    Kovtun is reportedly sick so he couldn't skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Easy to criticize them afterwards.

How about imagining what the reaction would have been if Plushenko had withdrawn after the team event and let Kovtun do the individual?
    It would have been as expected, seemingly contrived. But at least Kovtun would have been given some Olympic experience. Either way Russia would have had one man in the individual event, and now there's no man in the individual event.

Well, I certainly hope that Kovtun will get his chance to skate @ Worlds!

Custom Title
    I think is better he retired before doing something really stupid to his body.

I cheer a wondeful athlet, who pushed figure skating and himself till their borders. I cheer a charismatic entertainer, which i hope we will see in many many shows. May he push forward now the figure skating shows, bring them in the whole world and win many new fans for FS!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    @EvgeniPlushenko
    Спасибо всем за поддержку!Спасибо за веру в меня!Надеюсь быстро восстановлюсь.
    12:33 PM - 13 Feb 2014
    https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/...62848214712322

Very rough translation:
    Thank you to all for your support! Thank you for your belief in me! I hope to quickly recover.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Kovtun would be robbing Voronov. Sad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Nope. Voronov earned that spot fair and square, with Menshov as alternate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    will they have another test skate?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    With Plushenko retired I can officially proclaim that Yagudin is a better skater.
    You could have proclaimed it before too, nothing wrong with that.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Maxim Kovtun verified account
    ‏@Makskovtun
    Друзья, спасибо за вашу поддержку и веру в меня. Женя сделал все для победы России! Поздравляю нашу команду с победой в командном турнире.
    8:11 AM - 14 Feb 2014
    https://twitter.com/Makskovtun/statu...59335041630208

Rough translation:
    Friends, thank you for your support and belief in me. Zhenya did everything for a victory for Russia! I congratulation our team on victory in the team competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I would have to agree. Although Kovtun does have more potential to secure 2 spots for Russia next year. Voronov has been the most consistent Russian man of Kovtun/Menshov/and, upto the Olympics, Plushenko. So he really does deserve it, even if it might be another crapshoot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about, I am talking about FS as SPORT! Plushenko is well-rounded skater and for now has best record with quad jumps, so he is the best!
    If you want to talk about something else, then its a different story.
    Not all of us share your rather narrow definition of "sport." Some of us don't even really care what you label the activity that is figure skating.

Custom Title
    Best is far too subject.

Most accomplished, most consistent, most powerful competitor? Absolutely 100% agree. His reliability was truly insane. His consistency with both the quad and triple axel over a span of 15 years is kind of unbelievable. He landed his first 4-3 when he was like 16 and just did it again at the team event at age 31 with an effed up spine. I'm not much of a fan of his programs but there's no denying his competitive ability and his prodigious talent.

Rinkside
    Let's not confuse being a showy skater with being the best. Aside from jumping, Plush is not all that. Plus, he's not very engaging. Of course that is purely subjective
    I'm just never drawn into his programs. I might marvel at his jumping ability, but that's as far as it goes.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast