Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Michelle:Dividing line

Rinkside

Michelle:Dividing line

I guess it all boils down to preference. You say Michelle has no spark for you, yet she is the only one to me in many years that is "into" her programs and brings you into them also. I am never bored. I just think she makes it all look too easy and that's why she doesn't get credit from some, not that her programs are super easy. Many rant and rave about Sasha, but the only time I saw an inkling of "spark" was her Nationals before she fell, then she lost it.

Hi, Vegas Sandy, thanks for your post and welcome to Golden Skate! I agree. Every time Michelle performs she draws me into her skating all over again just like the first time I saw her.

Mathman

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Mathman
    Oh, that was so well said, Eyria.

Tony, that's cool, because you do feel that inspirational spark for your favorite skaters.

For myself, I first started paying attention to figure skating and to Michelle in the 1998-99 season. When I saw her short program (Rachmaninov) at the Goodwill Games in spring of 1998, I couldn't believe my eyes. That was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Little did I suspect that in just a month or so she would top even that masterpeice with the East of Eden artistic program at the World Professional Championship. I saw East of Eden (white dress) several times in those pro-am TV events that year, and each time was just as emotional for me as the time before.

Then she came out in the fall with the Fate of Carmen SP, one of Michelle's finest and most underrated programs. I don't know why, but I am just a sucker for a good Lori Nichol short program. In the LP, you have to fit in 6 or 7 triple jumps and there is not much room for anything else. But something about the structure of the short program, with the eight required elements forming the framework on which to weave your magic -- to me, Lori works that format like Shakespeare writing a sonnet. (OT -- check out Fumie's Rolling Stones SP next week, if you haven't seen it yet!)

What is so cool about Michelle is that almost every time she skates (for instance, her LP at Nationals this year) I think, that's it! That's her all-time greatest performance! How lucky I am that I got to see it!

Then she goes out next time and does it again.

I do not understand how people can say that Michelle's performances are boring because she does the same old jumps every time. Well, yes, every time she does the toe loop, Salchow, loop, flip, Lutz and Axel. (?)

It's like saying, oh that Babe Ruth is such a boring baseball player. He hits a home run every time.

Mathman
    RIGHTON : great post.

I have been a Fan of FS & watching FS before michelle was even born. & Frankly, I feel sorry for the state of figure skating & I think that the sport is in trouble. If anyone wants to ask me why. If anyone taped the SP Interview on the Injuries that is overrunning the Sport. Forcing the Truly Talented( Jumps & TRUE ARTISTIC VALUE) inot early retirement. Then, you will know with what I speak of. The FS is just turning into a Jumping contest Bigger Faster & More is taking over from the ALLAROUND Talented skater. But, anyways. I have been watching Michelle sense Juniors. Not only has michelle won so many titles & events. But, more importantaly. She brought Ladies skating out of the Gutter where Tonya put it. & Frankly, It was a shame that Michelle was not allowed to skate at the olympics in 94. Tonya once again on the ice shamed the American with her display. Had f Michelle skated she would have finished Higher in the standing than tonya. Eventhough, she was not mature as she is now. But, anyways. I never tire of watching her skate. Like Dick B stated she puts her heart out there for the judges & the More IMPORTANT the audience to feel what she is feeling. & they do. Well, except for the Nay-sayers( she can never do anything right in their eyes. Except for retire maybe. Then they will still find fault with her still). Some programs in the past maybe weren't as good as others. But, that happens with all skaters. Some program are just better than others. Like someone stated, Michelle I belive is great for the sport. Not only for a Future Hall Of Famer, that she will be. But, for the Ladies of today, not only excel in jumps but to focus on their artistic side as well. If you doubt that Just take a look at the new world champion. She has improved her artistic side alot( though she was good before. But you can see the improvement).

People talk about her retiring & making way for the younger. Well, let them earn & fight their way to the top just like she did. I think that is one of the biggest reasons why the anti fans don't like her so much. Just like the New York Yankees of the Past & Present. They win alot & some people resent it( even if they don't admit it) The Yankees & Michelle comes to play everyday( win or Loose). Just some proof of this. On another board , there was a thread Bashing Michelle (Once Again) because she got the cover of CosmoGirl or something Like that. & People accused her of grabbing all the publicity & trying to bring attention to herself. Some people accused her of planning the streaker on the ice, so if she did not win she could would have an excuse.

I would rather watch a truly artistic Skater with a soul who can do jumps triples double or whatever. who can last more than a few years or just cashes in. Someone dedicated to the sport & not just giving lip service about it. That is what a True Champion is. Someone Mentioned something about michelle will be in the history books. She is already there. Her story is just not finished yet

Custom Title
    Ditto. I agree completely.

Thumbs up

I failed to mention in my long Rant in favor of Michelle. Is that Another sign of a TRUE champion. Win Loose or draw. She is always professional about it. She always handles whatever comes her way. 1998 Olympics, 2002 Olympics, 2002 Worlds, 97 Nationals when tara won. All very public defeats handled with class. Unlike so many others who complained to anyone with ears. Just take a look at this years worlds. She said that she thought she did not make a mistake but, just shruges her about it & gets ready for her Free skate. The Federation & the media make a big deal about it. But, she had moved on already. & gave a great performance in her LP despite the Media, Protest from federation, deductions & streakers & tired song from basher for her to retire.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by LarasB
    Ditto. I agree completely.

If you are sponding to me. I thank you. I just get so tired of the retirement talk. & the bashers. Frankly, I would like to continue to see more than only 1 American in any kind of reach for a medal at competitions. Whenever Michelle retires, & if the other American females don't become consistent(sp) then, only sasha will be in any kind of contention. & right now with her you never know.

As an american we can pretty much count on her & sasha to be in the thick of things. Just look at the other categories. Johnny W. is coming into his own. But, is still not at the level with the big boys. But, next year he can move up. Don't look for Michael Weiss & there are ???? about Timmy G. Forget about Pairs & Dance( They will never stand a chance with the judges)

Not that I only go for Americans. My favorite Male was & still is Alexei(damn, his retirement). I Love S &Z, Brian Joubert & I do like our new Ladies Champion.
    Last edited by Panther2000; 03-31-2004 at 11:17 PM.

Part of the Michelle MYSTIQUE is the very fact that she provokes those fans who are not impressed with her to take issue in putting her down. For example, the Question of Retirement is so discussed in the Forums as a rush to take her off the scene.

Yet no fan ever speaks of Sokolova, Slutskaya, Volchkova, Corwin,Rochette, and many others, about retirement. The non fans of MK are actually increasing the mystique which prevails in this skater. Ms Cohen will be turning 20 soon. Should she begin to start thinking of retirement? Of course not.

Joe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4