Michelle:Dividing line | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle:Dividing line

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It's debatable certainly. I believe her performance at Nationals that year was so amazing, we were hearing ''legend'' even before Nagano.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
While I can see your point, I still can't agree. I don't think everyone automatically stamps everything Michelle does as brilliant just because she is Michelle. Sure, she has a stellar reputation and a history of brilliance, but when she gives a subpar performance it is usually called that by most (on this board and in the media). "Aranjuez" and "Tosca" received loads of criticism from fans and critics early in their respective seasons. Many that thought her performance in Atlanta was sublime were mostly part of a concensus that also stated she needed more choreography, faster spins, etc. I would say it is almost as if her illustrious past is sometimes a hinderance for her. Everything she does is constantly compared to what came before. The formula that had worked so well from 96-99 had started to seem less and less effective....the intricate programs and daring musical choices weren't cutting it anymore. She was stale. So, she tried to reinvent herself in 2002 and that didn't work. She went back to the drawing board and simplified her choreography in order to focus on other improvements. I thinks she's in a transitional stage and she's building on the 2003 and 2004 seasons. But, does that make what she did in Atlanta any less sensational? I don't think so. She outskated everyone in that event with a somewhat empty program. And, I don't think that people's (or the judges') reactions were solely based on the grand idea of Kwan....but more with what she showcased in comparison to Cohen, Kirk, etc. that night. I will definitely agree and say that as programs, the past two have not been among my personal favorites....but her 04 Nationals and 03 Worlds/Nationals performances rank among my favorites. Why? She had a fire lit under her butt and it showed. I'd choose an extremely spirited and passionate "Tosca" over a half-hearted or tenative performance of "Lyra Angelica" anyday. The biggest factor for me has always been performance level with Michelle....when she is cautious she hides the very thing that makes her amazing, but when she lets go she does so in a way that has never failed to move me (Paul Wylie has the same effect). So, I don't like to see a flat Michelle performance any more than the next person, but I do love to see her on fire....and even if the program isn't as difficult or daring as something she has done before, I'm still extremely impressed. She's still doing something so many other skaters can't. (However, Sasha seems to be able to harness that same sense of abandon at times....her 04 Worlds "Malaguena" SP was wonderful).

I think the MYSTIQUE thing began because of Nagano. In the past, it was accepted knowledge that the winner of the Olympics is the BEST in the world.

This "best in the world thinking" was accepted by the non fans of MK. they insisted that the gold Oly is for the best and only for the best .Not so says the MK fans. The Olympics is just one night of competition, and the results could change if the contest was held the following week. The mystique begins.

Then came Irina's year, 2002, but the so-called Best In The World did not go to Irina. So the contention that the Oly winner is the best in the world has faded away. Michelle's mystique grows despite the tears of FOG.

The medal, of course, is a rarity - it takes another 4 years to get one if you didn't get one on the first try.. I believe skaters want an Oly medal of any kind. It is so symbolic of personal achievement. At this point in MK's career,, and she already has two Oly medals, she is content with her career. The mystique will be there in 2006 if she so chooses.

Joe

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
WOW, Joesitz and BronzeisGolden: All I can really say, is "DITTO", I totally agree with both of you and loved your posts.

I also agree that some of the fan reaction is simply because she is "Michelle" and so many of us have followed her for so long, through all her ups and downs. It will be interesting to see what she decides to do in the future.

SK8GR8

Rinkside
SusanBeth said:
I don't know where this puts me on the dividing line. I have a feeling I am part of a new group- ''Michelle Fans Who are Starting to Yawn.''

I'm a member of this group too. I have been watching skating, and been a skater myself, for almost 20 years.

My favorite programs of Michelle's are the ones by Lori Nichol. Lori really knew Michelle's best strengths and the programs were perfect for her.

Before Michelle was at the senior level, figures were part of competitions and this was part of the reason that many of those who had success at the senior level were older. Michelle was the first skater to have such success at technicality AND artistry at such a young age. She figured out pretty fast how to capture an audience. She had the winning formula. Unfortunately, she really has not done much in the last couple of years to really try to keep the audience enthralled. Each year her programs seem to be only slightly modified from the previous one. It's like watching your favorite episode of your favorite TV show. The first time you see it, it's so fabulous! You love everything about it! The second time you watch it, it's still great! Maybe you noticed things you hadn't before! But it gets old after awhile.

Michelle has been rewarded so much for what she has always done that I'm sure she doesn't feel the need to make any drastic changes. But while I will always enjoy watching her, it would be so much more wonderful if she would keep coming up with new ways to hold our interest, other than just smiling and being the wonderful Michelle that she is. I know she can do it!

Vegas Sandy

Spectator
I guess it all boils down to preference. You say Michelle has no spark for you, yet she is the only one to me in many years that is "into" her programs and brings you into them also. I am never bored. I just think she makes it all look too easy and that's why she doesn't get credit from some, not that her programs are super easy. Many rant and rave about Sasha, but the only time I saw an inkling of "spark" was her Nationals before she fell, then she lost it.

Hi, Vegas Sandy, thanks for your post and welcome to Golden Skate! I agree. Every time Michelle performs she draws me into her skating all over again just like the first time I saw her.

Mathman

Panther2000

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Oh, that was so well said, Eyria.:)

Tony, that's cool, because you do feel that inspirational spark for your favorite skaters.

For myself, I first started paying attention to figure skating and to Michelle in the 1998-99 season. When I saw her short program (Rachmaninov) at the Goodwill Games in spring of 1998, I couldn't believe my eyes. That was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Little did I suspect that in just a month or so she would top even that masterpeice with the East of Eden artistic program at the World Professional Championship. I saw East of Eden (white dress) several times in those pro-am TV events that year, and each time was just as emotional for me as the time before.

Then she came out in the fall with the Fate of Carmen SP, one of Michelle's finest and most underrated programs. I don't know why, but I am just a sucker for a good Lori Nichol short program. In the LP, you have to fit in 6 or 7 triple jumps and there is not much room for anything else. But something about the structure of the short program, with the eight required elements forming the framework on which to weave your magic -- to me, Lori works that format like Shakespeare writing a sonnet. (OT -- check out Fumie's Rolling Stones SP next week, if you haven't seen it yet!)

What is so cool about Michelle is that almost every time she skates (for instance, her LP at Nationals this year) I think, that's it! That's her all-time greatest performance! How lucky I am that I got to see it!

Then she goes out next time and does it again.

I do not understand how people can say that Michelle's performances are boring because she does the same old jumps every time. Well, yes, every time she does the toe loop, Salchow, loop, flip, Lutz and Axel. (?)

It's like saying, oh that Babe Ruth is such a boring baseball player. He hits a home run every time.

Mathman:love:

RIGHTON : great post.

I have been a Fan of FS & watching FS before michelle was even born. & Frankly, I feel sorry for the state of figure skating & I think that the sport is in trouble. If anyone wants to ask me why. If anyone taped the SP Interview on the Injuries that is overrunning the Sport. Forcing the Truly Talented( Jumps & TRUE ARTISTIC VALUE) inot early retirement. Then, you will know with what I speak of. The FS is just turning into a Jumping contest Bigger Faster & More is taking over from the ALLAROUND Talented skater. But, anyways. I have been watching Michelle sense Juniors. Not only has michelle won so many titles & events. But, more importantaly. She brought Ladies skating out of the Gutter where Tonya put it. & Frankly, It was a shame that Michelle was not allowed to skate at the olympics in 94. Tonya once again on the ice shamed the American with her display. Had f Michelle skated she would have finished Higher in the standing than tonya. Eventhough, she was not mature as she is now. But, anyways. I never tire of watching her skate. Like Dick B stated she puts her heart out there for the judges & the More IMPORTANT the audience to feel what she is feeling. & they do. Well, except for the Nay-sayers( she can never do anything right in their eyes. Except for retire maybe. Then they will still find fault with her still). Some programs in the past maybe weren't as good as others. But, that happens with all skaters. Some program are just better than others. Like someone stated, Michelle I belive is great for the sport. Not only for a Future Hall Of Famer, that she will be. But, for the Ladies of today, not only excel in jumps but to focus on their artistic side as well. If you doubt that Just take a look at the new world champion. She has improved her artistic side alot( though she was good before. But you can see the improvement).

People talk about her retiring & making way for the younger. Well, let them earn & fight their way to the top just like she did. I think that is one of the biggest reasons why the anti fans don't like her so much. Just like the New York Yankees of the Past & Present. They win alot & some people resent it( even if they don't admit it) The Yankees & Michelle comes to play everyday( win or Loose). Just some proof of this. On another board , there was a thread Bashing Michelle (Once Again) because she got the cover of CosmoGirl or something Like that. & People accused her of grabbing all the publicity & trying to bring attention to herself. Some people accused her of planning the streaker on the ice, so if she did not win she could would have an excuse. :rolleye:

I would rather watch a truly artistic Skater with a soul who can do jumps triples double or whatever. who can last more than a few years or just cashes in. Someone dedicated to the sport & not just giving lip service about it. That is what a True Champion is. Someone Mentioned something about michelle will be in the history books. She is already there. Her story is just not finished yet

Panther2000

On the Ice
I failed to mention in my long Rant in favor of Michelle. Is that Another sign of a TRUE champion. Win Loose or draw. She is always professional about it. She always handles whatever comes her way. 1998 Olympics, 2002 Olympics, 2002 Worlds, 97 Nationals when tara won. All very public defeats handled with class. Unlike so many others who complained to anyone with ears. Just take a look at this years worlds. She said that she thought she did not make a mistake but, just shruges her about it & gets ready for her Free skate. The Federation & the media make a big deal about it. But, she had moved on already. & gave a great performance in her LP despite the Media, Protest from federation, deductions & streakers & tired song from basher for her to retire.

Panther2000

On the Ice
LarasB said:
Ditto. I agree completely.

If you are sponding to me. I thank you. I just get so tired of the retirement talk. & the bashers. Frankly, I would like to continue to see more than only 1 American in any kind of reach for a medal at competitions. Whenever Michelle retires, & if the other American females don't become consistent(sp) then, only sasha will be in any kind of contention. & right now with her you never know.

As an american we can pretty much count on her & sasha to be in the thick of things. Just look at the other categories. Johnny W. is coming into his own. But, is still not at the level with the big boys. But, next year he can move up. Don't look for Michael Weiss & there are ???? about Timmy G. Forget about Pairs & Dance( They will never stand a chance with the judges)

Not that I only go for Americans. My favorite Male was & still is Alexei(damn, his retirement). I Love S &Z, Brian Joubert & I do like our new Ladies Champion.

Last edited:
Part of the Michelle MYSTIQUE is the very fact that she provokes those fans who are not impressed with her to take issue in putting her down. For example, the Question of Retirement is so discussed in the Forums as a rush to take her off the scene.

Yet no fan ever speaks of Sokolova, Slutskaya, Volchkova, Corwin,Rochette, and many others, about retirement. The non fans of MK are actually increasing the mystique which prevails in this skater. Ms Cohen will be turning 20 soon. Should she begin to start thinking of retirement? Of course not.

Joe