Team Canada Throws in the Towel? | Golden Skate

Team Canada Throws in the Towel?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It looks like Team Canada is conceding to Russia and maybe the US. Unless Patrick Chan screwed up again, he said Reynolds was skating the freeskate assuming Canada qualifies. Canada has to hope Osmond is within a spot of the russian girls and Virtue and Moir has to be at Davis and white which is highly unlikely if not impossible. And this still requires Plushy to fall behind a couple of spots of Reynolds. Reynolds is a younger version with less reputation than Plushy and not nearly as charismatic. Even Jeremy with his pcs could beat Reynolds or at least potentially. why Chan let the cat of the bag I am not sure unless it is public it just doesn't make sense. I am getting a feeling that Chan might be the next jinxed Canadian male - the sterling silver syndrome - two silvers. Remember Orser - really unfortunate because of school figures he was so far behind Hamilton who by 1984 really looked bad next to Orser but had enough of a lead from the school figures. Ironically in 1988 Brian Orser lost by one judge and had artistry been the tie breaker back then as it was later then he would have had gold. Unlucky two times could have been gold. Then there is Elvis who many felt should have beaten Urmanov and had it been COP good chance. His second silver really was the besgt he could do under the fact he was very injured - it looked painful I am happy for Hanyu and the Japanese but kind of sad about the silver syndrome but who knows ice can be slippery.

kresslia

Medalist
Lol no, Canada is not going to fall behind the US because of Reynolds skating. At worst, Reynolds will be 2 spots behind Brown. Russia is another story. If Reynolds skates, then gold is gone. Simple. I think this is by far the stupidest decision made in the team event if they go ahead with it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Canada surely will get gold somewhere maybe not in skating. They do have a tendency to win silver in skating. I hope itis a fair competition. I really want D and W to have OGM but at the same time I think V and M are really the better team and should get higher pcs at least.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the nationalists are all out in force :rolleye:
even circulating whatever bogus articles involving bribery barter with D/W

ETA: Virtue&Moir twitter fanpage is spreading it on twitter https://twitter.com/virtueandmoir
now I want V/M to miserably fail ay their events

looks like Canada is panicking and spreading the false rumors
hopefully Patrick Chan gets a karma in this games too

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
the nationalists are all out in force :rolleye:
even circulating whatever bogus articles involving bribery barter with D/W

ETA: Virtue&Moir twitter fanpage is spreading it on twitter
now I want V/M to miserably fail ay their events

stop using the word nationalist when you have no idea what it means

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Lol no, Canada is not going to fall behind the US because of Reynolds skating. At worst, Reynolds will be 2 spots behind Brown. Russia is another story. If Reynolds skates, then gold is gone. Simple. I think this is by far the stupidest decision made in the team event if they go ahead with it.

Team Canada is not going to beat Russia at this point anyway. Plushenko beating Chan in the short program ended things. They might as well give someone else a chance to participate, although I would prefer Weaver & Poje to Reynolds. They arent going to lose silver either way. The U.S will do well to get the bronze.

kresslia

Medalist
Team Canada is not going to beat Russia at this point anyway. Plushenko beating Chan in the short program ended things. They might as well give someone else a chance to participate, although I would prefer Weaver & Poje to Reynolds. They arent going to lose silver either way. The U.S will do well to get the bronze.
They have an outside shot if Russia falters. That's why using Kevin is really just throwing in the towel.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
it's not like they can make chan skate the long if he doesn't want to though.

they should guilt him into it just a little bit tho

auser

Record Breaker
Canada surely will get gold somewhere maybe not in skating. They do have a tendency to win silver in skating. I hope itis a fair competition. I really want D and W to have OGM but at the same time I think V and M are really the better team and should get higher pcs at least.

Congratulations to Canada's Mark McMorriss for his bronze medal winning performance in Snowboard Slopestyle:clap:.

Amtosbm

Spectator
Hi everyone. I delurked just for the team event. As a Canadian I never expected Patrick to skate the long. Skate Canada wants a gold medal in men's, its all we keep hearing about for the last four Olympics. So they want Patrick rested which means Kevin is up. A gold in team would be great but its not the be all and end all. As for Patrick's chances- I think they are as good as anyone else's. Hanyu still has to survive the long program like everyone else. No one really expected Evan to win at the last Olympics so I think most Canadians know anything can happen. We just want him to skate well. He said in Vancouver his vision actually went black for a few seconds due to the pressure. I hope it goes better this time.

I do feel for Abbott but this is a consistent pattern. Great at Nationals and nothing at Worlds and Olympics. I feel for the US team. Hopefully their women can help them bounce back.

Most of all I want the skaters to skate well. They have trained years for this and given up plenty. Wishing ill on them just completely goes against the Olympic Spirit and when it happens it makes me wonder why people are even watching.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
He said in Vancouver his vision actually went black for a few seconds due to the pressure.

this is cracking me up

chan definitely has the talent, but he doesn't perform when it counts. he proved that two days ago and i'm predicting he'll prove it again in a few days. this is vancouver all over again and skate canada made a big mistake hyping him up again when they know he wilts under pressure

phaeljones

On the Ice
Hi everyone. I delurked just for the team event. As a Canadian I never expected Patrick to skate the long. Skate Canada wants a gold medal in men's, its all we keep hearing about for the last four Olympics. So they want Patrick rested which means Kevin is up. A gold in team would be great but its not the be all and end all. As for Patrick's chances- I think they are as good as anyone else's. Hanyu still has to survive the long program like everyone else. No one really expected Evan to win at the last Olympics so I think most Canadians know anything can happen. We just want him to skate well. He said in Vancouver his vision actually went black for a few seconds due to the pressure. I hope it goes better this time.

I do feel for Abbott but this is a consistent pattern. Great at Nationals and nothing at Worlds and Olympics. I feel for the US team. Hopefully their women can help them bounce back.

Most of all I want the skaters to skate well. They have trained years for this and given up plenty. Wishing ill on them just completely goes against the Olympic Spirit and when it happens it makes me wonder why people are even watching.

Great post, Amtosbm. Welcome to Goldenskate. Post long and post often!!!!!!

Yes, that the skaters skate well, that is what is most importantly what we should desire. We sometimes lose track of that but we should not.

Reynolds being given the fs is no surprise.

Logic and reason says that the final decision was Patrick's or it was jointly decided, with everyone agreeing and Patrick having a lot of input. I think that Patrick has earned the right to make the decision and decide as he has. He has given so much and made so many sacrifices for Canada to get to this Olympics. Canada owes him big time and imo he did very well enough in the short. Even though Reynolds was a mess at Nationals, I am hoping his training since then has helped him and I am looking forward to his skating. Regardless, I think that he will fight with everything he has and we cannot ask for anything more. He has given a great deal to get to where he is now as well. I am glad that he is going to be a part of the team.

Welcome, Antosbm!

I do think that we can ease up on Patrick. The pressure on him must be unbelievable, even greater than it was in Vancouver when he was just a young phenomenon starting out. Now he's considered one of the world's best, and he has several World championships to his name, plus a reputation for the best pure skating skills in the world. And he's the only one who can challenge the old Silver Curse of Canada. I think he must be in almost as intense a position as YuNa was, where everyone in her country expected gold and only gold.

Whatever choices he makes about the long program ought to be respected by fans. The team gold is not his main job right now, not for himself or even for Canada.

I am such a Daisuke fan that he's who I most deeply want to win gold. But in all other respects I'm rooting for Patrick, because I have been a fan of Canadian men since Toller Cranston, and if Patrick wins, I'll be thrilled for him and for Canada. (Fleeting thought: Orser will be in the arena. If Patrick should win, even though that would mean a defeat of his students, I'm sure he will feel a certain satisfaction.)

cjoanwilli

Spectator
Well at least a voice of reason. I have not been on these boards since the last Olympics, I had forgotten how weird everyone is. Here's a "weird" thought, everyone skating at these Olympics has worked very hard to get there and what I hope is that everyone skates well and let the best skaters win. What's with Tessa and Scott a mess? They are at least second best and are past Gold winners. And what's with the Patrick Chan hate fest? Sour grapes. Anyone who knows anything about skating knows that whether he is their favorite or not he is a terrific skater, most of the men look like arm flappers compared to him. Get real and enjoy some good skater like good sports.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
They're 5 points behind now and I really don't see how Chan could be expected to make that up anyway.

Personally, I hate to see team Canada disparaged like this. Sure, some haven't performed as well as they could have, but at the same time they're in a solid silver medal position and that shows the strength of this team. So what if they don't win the gold medal? Russia hasn't exactly given anything away.

I hope Kevin has a great skate in the long and proves all these detractors wrong! It looks like the mens field won't be super strong anyway, so who knows :)

Amtosbm

Spectator
Thanks for the welcome. I teach grade five, so I am used to ignoring or not responding to certain phrasing or choices of words. I post on another board with this name but its nice to actually be able to converse with people who watch the sport all year not just every four and know quality when they see it.
i do want everyone to do well. In the end, even if Patrick does not win I will happy for whoever did because obviously they deserved it. See you guys in the other threads now that report card time is over.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Canada lost gold / won silver (depending on how you want to frame it) during the short. There really isn't any credible scenario where I can't see Russia winning gold and Canada winning silver. So if Chan doesn't want to skate the long, meh. It won't make a difference in the team event anyway.