2014 Olympics Team Event Short Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Short Dance

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
As others have said, I wonder if Tessa's legs are bothering her, because she has consistently had trouble with the twizzles at more than one event. Today at the Olympic Team Event, last month at Canadian Nationals (which I saw in person), and on a couple other occasions over the past few seasons.

pretty sure it's mental

besides she won a gold medal in vancouver when she says it hurt her to walk ten minutes to walk to the cafeteria so

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Petri Kokko tweeted: @coccco: Davis & White were the only ones who looked in the #finnstep the same as it felt to do. Congrats, well deserved score! #Sochi2014 #sotshi

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Petri Kokko tweeted: @coccco: Davis & White were the only ones who looked in the #finnstep the same as it felt to do. Congrats, well deserved score! #Sochi2014 #sotshi

You've neglected the juicier bits:

@[V/M "fan: twitter] 16h
Petri Kokko, the finnstep founder, tweeted months ago that he liked Virtue/Moir's finnstep. Now he likes Davis/White's more. #politics

@coccco 15h
@[V/M "fan" twitter] Tonight they captured the essence of the dance better, but margins are small and next Saturday is a new day

@[V/M fan twitter] 15h
@coccco I think the margins are huge. There's also a string of PCS for V/M that are questionable from one judge.

@coccco 15h
@[V/M "fan" twitter] Didn't look at the scores. Meant what I saw.

Later:

‏@[personal twitter] 15h
@[V/M "fan" twitter] I wonder how much he was paid for that tweet... :/

@coccco 2h
@[personal twitter] @[V/M "fan" twitter] I hated the politics of the sport, so you won't get any of that from me.

Conclusion:
Poor guy was just trying to give his opinion--I like him for being honest. He did say this too:
‏@coccco 1h
So sad if true.... These officials destroy the sport we love. #Sochi2014 #figureskating http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/0...-includes-an-odd-alliance.html?_r=0&referrer=

He is honest and open-minded given his history with the sport.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hmm, interesting to me the Voir comments. I really liked their sd better earlier in the season and to me they lacked sparkle in this performance. The big facial expressions were there but did their extensions and steps seem as crisp and definite and confident as previous performances? I mean, I really really liked it before but I think they weren't at their best last night. It did not seem to me the crowd response was huge which is at least one indicator of performance effectiveness. It certainly was a strong outing but not their best to me.

Whether or not other commentators make the same mistake, Wilson's favoritism seemed much on display during this broadcast.

I did find Marlie were on in this performance. For me there was that extra joy being conveyed by them that transcended the technical into something more. Not saying they are intrinsically the best, just that that performance was magical to me. I don't recall seeing Charlie smile quite like that at the end of a performance and I was right there with them in delight.

I quite liked both P/B and B/S but enjoyed P/B more. I recognize the points made about the two teams' strengths and weaknesses but for me B/S - the posture and lines just contribute so much to most every moment of a performance, so they really affect my reaction to it - I would have had P/B ahead by a little bit.

Overall I really, really enjoyed the SD's this season and think all the elite teams did a good job of marrying the dance sections together. These were all dances (pretty much) that went well with vocal music, which I have a tendency to dislike. It's the end of the season and even with the Olympics it could be easy to be a bit fatigued with the SD's, but I am still loving every note. Voir's music cuts are the absolute best and suit them so, so well.

KKonas

Medalist
Re Tracy Wilson:

Toni, you meant to say that this is NOT the first time that she has given commentary for American media.
(Wilson's bio, for anyone who is interested: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/bio/tracy-wilson/ )​

And I don't know whether to laugh or cry as I read that some in this thread are concerned about the extent of Wilson's objectivity. (I don't mean you, Toni.)

Within the last couple of years, I have made note a few times here on GS that Tanith Belbin's far greater conflict of interest makes it impossible for her ice dance commentary to be objective (no matter how hard she tries).
Each time I have mentioned my concern about Belbin, I have been FAR outnumbered by those who say that her conflict of interest does not bother them one bit, and who insist that her commentary is objective.

Double standard, anyone? :bang:

Love the elegance and fluidity (to borrow Wilson's word ;)) of Virtue/Moir's SD. Sorry about Tessa's twizzle.

Don't understand Davis/White's interpretation of "My Fair Lady" (a musical that I like very much).

Well, overhyping V&M's superb footwork only to have the tech panel downgrade it a level in the SD and to only Level 2 in the FD makes Wilson's comments look a little ridiculous. She is good in basic dance, but we now need someone with IJS practical experience to do dance commentary.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I would be more than happy to lend Tracy Wilson to Canada for all future Olympics:) She KNOWS the technical aspects of the sport. But she has favorites (the list is LONG and largely North American), and she has NON-favorites (the list is possibly LONGER and largely Russian). Her favoritism doesn't bother me, but her negative commentary about world-class teams has ruined my enjoyment of more than one World and Olympic gold-medal performance. I really think Canada would enjoy her more.

To be fair, I found her commentary during this short dance quite good & unbiased. I kept waiting for her to tear into B&S and she didn't, which left me feeling quite happy inside. (Though she should have mentioned that P&B's program was brand new). Maybe she has made a conscious effort to improve, though I think it far more likely she is just happier now that the North Americans are on top. Still, improvement or not, I would be completely happy to make this sacrifice for the betterment of Canadian television.