2014 Olympics Team Event Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Short Dance

caitie

Medalist
I'm afraid that their originality for finnstep approach this year (more jazzy/modern than ballroom) won't be estimated properly by judges...

Yeah, the ISU specifically asked for a quickstep with a "ballroom feel," so their choice to do jazzy/modern was ill-conceived. Apparently the french judges who advised them at the beginning of the season said they might be penalized for it, but they chose to go with it anyway until the GPF. I actually really like their dance and the music, so I'm a little disappointed it was changed. It's too bad the ISU is such a stickler about that kind of stuff, as long as it's a finnstep, what's the problem!

But since they've added more of a ballroom feel and new music, hopefully their score will increase!

Icey

Record Breaker
Live stream? I am somewhat concerned about any team doing both programs before they skate for the individual medals. Hope there is no adverse effects. This is uncharted territory.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I would say it would depend on how close the score is between Russia and Canada at the time the decision is made. W/P has never beaten B/S (as far as I can remember), so if the score is close I doubt they would be substituted. It also will depend on whatever OTHER substitution Canada is going to make for the finals. I'd say it's very likely that V/M will do both.

Plus I just heard from @Catie that MT-M are skating in the free.

I have a feeling this will crash during Voir's SD and won't come back until Osmond skates her SP on the ladies thread.

caitie

Medalist
Plus I just heard from @Catie that MT-M are skating in the free.

Yup, this is where I saw that.

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford 3h
Team skating event: Canada's Moore-Towers, Moscovitch in for pairs free; Russia uses both top ice dance teams; Lipnitskaia to skate SP & FS.

Sigh, I guess I need to get used to the idea that I will have to fret over Marlie's performance and score on my own lol.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yeah, the ISU specifically asked for a quickstep with a "ballroom feel," so their choice to do jazzy/modern was ill-conceived. Apparently the french judges who advised them at the beginning of the season said they might be penalized for it, but they chose to go with it anyway until the GPF. I actually really like their dance and the music, so I'm a little disappointed it was changed. It's too bad the ISU is such a stickler about that kind of stuff, as long as it's a finnstep, what's the problem!

But since they've added more of a ballroom feel and new music, hopefully their score will increase!

for me it's sad in overall looking at ice dance judging nowadays - if you're doing something original (=risky) and out of the rulebook you'll be penalized and low-balled...and this is a factor which stops dancers from choosing original music/choreography and in the same time from adding more personal touch to their dances - and in therms of SD I'm just bored and uninspired seeing 15 or 20 same strictly ballroom, usually heavy and stiff routines in a row and thank God there are some original and out-of-the-box routines with fresh approach, even in a little amount, like Nathalie and Fabian

Icey

Record Breaker
*groans* I just realised that both V/M and D/W are doing the team event. That seals it. I'm not coming anywhere near this thread. The lunatics will be out in full force.

all fs fans are lunatics. They have to be in order to put up with all the sh.. lmao

ARipp42014

Medalist
Yup, this is where I saw that.

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford 3h
Team skating event: Canada's Moore-Towers, Moscovitch in for pairs free; Russia uses both top ice dance teams; Lipnitskaia to skate SP & FS.

Sigh, I guess I need to get used to the idea that I will have to fret over Marlie's performance and score on my own lol.

Trying to rest Adelina, eh? Smart move for the Russians to let Elena & Nikita skate the FD, even though they'll finish 3rd (or 2nd if the Americans don't make it).

I wish I can watch the skating events on mute. I want more Tara and Johnny and less Sandra and Scott (better yet... mute him!)

caitie

Medalist
for me it's sad in overall looking at ice dance judging nowadays - if you're doing something original (=risky) and out of the rulebook you'll be penalized and low-balled...and this is a factor which stops dancers from choosing original music/choreography and in the same time from adding more personal touch to their dances - and in therms of SD I'm just bored and uninspired seeing 15 or 20 same strictly ballroom, usually heavy and stiff routines in a row and thank God there are some original and out-of-the-box routines with fresh approach, even in a little amount, like Nathalie and Fabian

Well in a way, it sort of makes sense that the merging of the CD and OD is making the SDs a little less interesting... but also, I think it's because this is an Olympic year. It's not really the year to think too much outside the box if you want to place well, so the teams are giving the judges what the asked for and I can't blame them for that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
*groans* I just realised that both V/M and D/W are doing the team event. That seals it. I'm not coming anywhere near this thread. The lunatics will be out in full force.

the ranking is fixed :scowl: according to Canadian press

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Scott Hamilton is, to my knowledge, never used for ice dancing events. I prefer to watch the first time with no commentary or in a foreign language, so I can make up my own mind and THEN rewatch it with 'expert commentary.' But YMMV of course.

Thank you for the NBC link.

who are they gonna use? tracy wilson and ..?

it better not be tanith

caitie

Medalist
Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 6m
Tune into @NBCSN in 10 minutes to see life coverage of the figure skating team event! Commentated by myself, @Tara_Lipinski and Terry Gannon

Hmm, well that's better than Scott anyway. I like Tracy Wilson for Ice Dance, though.

auser

Record Breaker
http://www.coolsport.tv/nfl-live-streaming-5.html - nbc stream w/ scott hamilton having a seizure over everything
This looks like a link to nbcsn nbc sports network cable channel. I think Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinsky(sp?), Terry Gannon are doing commentary. Thanks for posting this link, it looks like a great resource:cool:
Interesting, this link looks like it has switched to BBC. NBCSP is in fact using Terry, Tara and Johhny, I am watching them on my TV.

Icey

Record Breaker
Trying to rest Adelina, eh? Smart move for the Russians to let Elena & Nikita skate the FD, even though they'll finish 3rd (or 2nd if the Americans don't make it).

I wish I can watch the skating events on mute. I want more Tara and Johnny and less Sandra and Scott (better yet... mute him!)

Sandra and Scott can say some of the dumbest things, so irritating. And I want to confront them, but can only confront my puter screen.