2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program

Nater

Match Penalty
the Yuna ubers are getting nervous I see
they even are attaking Julia hash tags that is trending on twitter

I like how Melon can tell which judges favor certain skaters when the marks are anonymous and given in random order, and some are dropped. Lol

Talk about stretching for a conspiracy theory...

Julia outscored Kostner by over a point on the Layback spin alone.

On the Camel spin she was almost 0.8 points ahead of Kostner.

On the Combo Spin she was almost 0.75 points ahead of Kostner.

If Kostner was as good a spinner as Lipnitskaya, she'd have won the SP even with the easier jumps based on her PCS advantage.

Even if you take the GOE away from Julia's combo, she still wins the SP and even with 'e' she tends to get pretty much Base Value or slightly above (GOE works off bullet so 'e' doesn't mean -GOE is compulsory). She won because of her spins - Level 4's and high GOEs.

Crying about her GOE simply because you don't prefer to see her win is childish and largely baseless.

She won because she was technically superior.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
and this is only a preview of judging we'll see at individual event...

I'm not so into tech issues of ladies (so dear sky_fly20 forgive please my ignorance, I'm so ashamed...), but litteraly I have no idea of explaining PCS for Lipnitskaya in comparision to today's Kostner. And I'm not even a fan of Kostner's skating, but today's short was something else - I mean her maturity, calm, softness and serenity of her smile mixed with edges and fluidity.

Julia - yes, that GIRL can jump, can spin but in thermes of performance, skills, interpretation her short is nowhere near Kostner's range, sorry...And I'm just seriously amazed how some gimmytricks and an obvious flexibility could replaced pure skills and edges sometimes...

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I honestly don't mind a bit of home team inflation but it needs to be reasonable. Yuna-like scores.....not reasonable. I won't deny Julia is talented or that she should be in the leadership talks but today she did not deserve to be so far ahead of everyone else. Kostner definitely should be in the lead right now and I'm not even a Kostner fan. Actually, this was the first time she had me truly in awe. She finally found a program where I could see all her beauties and talent showcased. It was a perfect vehicle for her.

I was expecting the Russian inflation but not to this degree. Everyone else seemed to have been scored fairly. She was just propped up unnecessarily. It makes me nervous for the individual event. There are several skaters, who when clean, I would put above a clean Julia at this point. Oh well. Such is figure skating especially figure skating at the Olympics.

Ven

Match Penalty
Looks like the fans of the 9 year old are out in full force now. They want her to win no matter what. :laugh:

MiRé

Match Penalty
the Yuna ubers are getting nervous I see
they even are attaking Julia hash tags that is trending on twitter

Clearly you're blind. Take a look at all of the ladies scores, not JUST Julia's. Their scores in PCS marks differs heavily, some judge gives 7.75 while other gives 9.00 in the same component. You don't think that's inconsistent?

Julia's skating skills scores are perfect.:) All judges gaved 8.25 or 8.50. This should be enough for some posters but of course:rolleye:

Flutzing is not perfect.

I like how Melon can tell which judges favor certain skaters when the marks are anonymous and given in random order, and some are dropped. Lol

Talk about stretching for a conspiracy theory...
did you even look at the protocol? You don't need the judges name to see if some judges favor one skater or not. Look at the range of the points and see it for yourself. If you're too lazy to do so, not my problem. Keep ignoring the facts

Why don't you stop crying?

I'm not going to sit here and argue, I will just respond with the above question...

I see you have no answer. Or should I say you can't? :biggrin:

Nater

Match Penalty
Looks like the fans of the 9 year old are out in full force now. They want her to win no matter what. :laugh:

I could care less if she won or if she broke her back in practice doing one of her contortionist spins.

Sometimes people are simply trying to have logical civil debate. You don't have to be a "fan" or "uber" to discuss this sport, you know.

Get over yourself.

emma

Record Breaker
I haven't examined the protocols yet - but was surprised by Julia's PCS, and want to see the GOE's for some elements. That said, my hat's off to her and although I appreciate a little more power in the edge and knee, a little more height and distance in jumps - which come with age/weight/height, I must admit that I enjoyed her performance quite a bit. Congrats to her!

I though Mao's dress was so beautiful; too bad on the axel especially after those amazing practice videos. But, for me, her basic skating, posture, and step sequence are stunningly beautiful. Hope she is warmed up now and can nail the individual event to her best ability! Go Mao!

Carolina was simply outstanding tonight. I had tears in my eyes. I'm not implying she should be in first - just saying that for me, this was a moving, beautiful program with great technical content (although not the most difficult of all the ladies) and great choreo and great flow. My favorite!

Shout out to Osmond - way to bring it after a rough start to the season! And, great to see Ashley with fight. That 3x3 still gives her grief, but she went for it and didn't seem unsettled and did her program. Yay!

chiocciola

On the Ice
As for me I can see the medal chances in the following way:
Yu-Na, Kostner, Julia, Adelina, Gracie. Whoever is the cleanest and the most difficult in TES will win, PCS will be as a bonus.

Mao (though I'm a big fan of hers) is no longer good. She simply does not deserve a medal in SPORTS for her edges and lines.

I feel wrong if Yu-Na wins.

My dream podium: Julia (a package), Caro (not impressive TES, but she does he best, perfect PCS), Gracie (almost a package).

Nater

Match Penalty
Clearly you're blind. Take a look at all of the ladies scores, not JUST Julia's. Their scores in PCS marks differs heavily, some judge gives 7.75 while other gives 9.00 in the same component. You don't think that's inconsistent?

Flutzing is not perfect.

did you even look at the protocol? You don't need the judges name to see if some judges favor one skater or not. Look at the range of the points and see it for yourself. If you're too lazy to do so, not my problem. Keep ignoring the facts

I see you have no answer. Or should I say you can't? :biggrin:

Why are you still crying?

23m8rqe.jpg

Ven

Match Penalty
I could care less if she won or if she broke her back in practice doing one of her contortionist spins.

Sometimes people are simply trying to have logical civil debate. You don't have to be a "fan" or "uber" to discuss this sport, you know.

Get over yourself.

Melon brought up the protocols, and you refused to look at them.

Some of you Julia fans are just whack. You don't even care that her skating isn't as good as the others, either because she's Russian or because you think she's a cute little girl you want her to win no matter what.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Crying about her GOE simply because you don't prefer to see her win is childish and largely baseless.
She won because she was technically superior.

Your theory is that "it doesn't make any difference that they pushed Julia's GOE and PCS way too high", since she'd have won anyway, even with correct marks? With the individual event just around the corner?
You call pointing out how overscored she was "childish and largely baseless"?
I'm confused as to whether you actually believe your own words.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Firstly I'm pleased to see so many clean or close to clean skates.

Osmond should have been ahead of Wagner and was pretty underscored on PCS. Probably to ensure a wider gap between Canada and Russia.

Lipnitskaia and Kostner were awesome! However Lipnitskaia was totally overscored on PCS... 33.51 points and similar skating skills to Mao and better choreo? And the flutz wasn't called but it was probably close enough to give her the benefit of the doubt... and it's in Russia so flutzes will be overlooked, lol.

This team event was slated to be Russia's from the start and it's hardly unexpected other skaters are held down (I mean look at MT/M's PCS and P/B's PCS both dropped) and Russians will be boosted (look at S/K's and B/S PCS boosts, and now Lipnitskaia getting huge PCS to ensure their higher placements).

Dutchie

Rinkside
I'm still a bit surprised Ashley's score wasn't closer to 65 or so. I think she deserves some credit for keeping it together and delivering a clean performance considering the pressure she skated under tonight. I'm not even that much of an Ashley fan and I was holding my breath the entire time but thanks to her, the USA is sitting in medal contention right now.

Was blown away by Carolina. Absolutely stunning performance. She shows maturity and a calmness I haven't seen in ladies figure skating in quite some time. I was never a fan of hers back in the day because I thought she was a bit choppy and something never clicked for me. But tonight she completely proved me wrong and I was happy to see her do so well!

Yulia went out there and attacked that program better than I've seen anybody do tonight. I won't argue if she deserves to be in first place or not, but it does seem a bit out of whack to have her so far above the others. But then again, I don't think her scores are going to affect Russia's placement in this competition so good for her for performing so well on home ice. Incredible talent for such a young woman!

Last thing I'll say is how impressed I was with the fact that this wasn't a splatterfest and all the women more or less delivered solid performances. It's nice to finally see so much competition and you can tell how badly these ladies wanted to help their team. I only wish I could see more skaters sitting in the team section and less coaches. Where is the rest of team USA during these performances???

smoothiw

Rinkside
I think that my fisrt post in this thread was too harsh to Julia. Actually she was good, yeah, that's true. This 15 years old young lady, who got huge pressure from the crowd in the arena, performed cleanly! What a great moment. I think Julia's spins were all good. They deserved high + GOE, and she got it. And 3 level step... It's odd that the techs gave most of the ladies the level 3s. Level 4 on step sequence was so common in this season, and they suddenly stop giving it. Why did they do? But the PCS and high GOEs on jumps? I am not quite sure of it. Anyway, good for her. Let's see what this beautiful young lady can deliver the next performance.

Mao Asada. Very sorry for her. She did good practices, and then bombed in the real stage? I think if she had skated before Julia, she could have done much better. One good point for her is that this isn't the last chance. Hope that she will do better next time.

Ashley Wagner. I think her mark was too low for what she did. Her PCS seems too low. She deserved at least 2 more points on her PCS, IMHO.

And Carolina. The best performance tonight at least for me. As you know, she can really move her body with the music. Only one beautiful and artistic skating tonight for me. Good for her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This team event was slated to be Russia's from the start and it's hardly unexpected other skaters are held down (I mean look at MT/M's PCS and P/B's PCS both dropped) and Russians will be boosted (look at S/K's and B/S PCS boosts, and now Lipnitskaia getting huge PCS to ensure their higher placements).

MT/M left way too many points out they werent that great in LP either
S/K have been getting higher PCS since Europeans

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Their PCS dropped from a personal best this year of 67.14 points to 64.85. S/K had a visible error and yet their PCS was a personal best.

Even if MT/M didn't have the salchow error the numbers show they still would have lost with the lower PCS. Maybe S/K deserved the win but certainly not by 5 points.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist

I think the marks for this Team Event stopped being about ensuring Russia's victory long ago, but are more than ever to even the field for the individual competitions.
Like if Lipnitskaya skates clean, she'll get "shockingly" high marks, and people will just refer to her huge Team Event marks to call those "appropriate" or "normal".
For the record: even with fair marking, I had Russia in first in the Team Event, and I have nothing against Julia. She doesn't award herself those ridiculous marks she gets.

Anyone who can explain to me in a fair and unbiased way how Julia's Flutz deserves 1.40 more GOE than Nathalie Weinzierl's textbook Lutz is welcome.