2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Looking trough the protocols, the lowest score Julia got for SS is 8.25. Caros lowest is 8.00, Maos 7.75. At least one judge there actually thinks Julias skating skills are better than Carolinas(!!!) and Maos. Priceless - or rather, maybe no. That judge is blind, dumb, crazy or bought :sarcasm:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm flabbergasted at Yulia's PCS in comparison to a clean Carolina's PCS. If Lipnitskaya deserved 33.51 for her juniorish style then Kostner deserves a perfect 50 for her program components. Yulia's high PCS are beyond ridiculous . . . enough already! :disapp:

elif

Medalist
Anyone who can explain to me in a fair and unbiased way how Julia's Flutz deserves 1.40 more GOE than Nathalie Weinzierl's textbook Lutz is welcome.

Weinzierl saved that jump very good. I really though when she is in air, she is going to fell but she didn't and that OK. Not very textbook.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Carolina will do better in the individual besides Julia may be spending all she has here.

Spending all she has here? When she has had great skates at 6 competitions (11 out of twelve programs)? If she has a good skate tomorrow it will be 7 competitions and 13 out of 14 programs. Besides, after tomorrow she all all the other ladies have ten full days before she has to compete for her individual event. I'm sure they're not using everything up.

I think we can safely say that her uncharacteristic skate was solely the result of skating, not in Russia, as some people have said, but rather the combination of the stress of skating last in the FS and of competing in her home city as well as the crazy, unprecedented mistake she made on her opening combination.

rain

Record Breaker
I think the marks for this Team Event stopped being about ensuring Russia's victory long ago, but are more than ever to even the field for the individual competitions.
Like if Lipnitskaya skates clean, she'll get "shockingly" high marks, and people will just refer to her huge Team Event marks to call those "appropriate" or "normal".
For the record: even with fair marking, I had Russia in first in the Team Event, and I have nothing against Julia. She doesn't award herself those ridiculous marks she gets.

Anyone who can explain to me in a fair and unbiased way how Julia's Flutz deserves 1.40 more GOE than Nathalie Weinzierl's textbook Lutz is welcome.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said. That's what bothers me so much. The scores here are just a precursor to boost the scores for the Russian skaters in the individual competitions past what they should be.

I've always thought it was entirely likely that Russian would win the team comp. That was the most likely outcome, when one considered their field of skaters. That in no way justifies the lowballing of competitors that's been taking place and the massive (and unearned) scores the Russians have been given.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Weinzierl saved that jump very good. I really though when she is in air, she is going to fell but she didn't and that OK. Not very textbook.

She did lean in the air, but her takeoff was from a clear outside edge, that IS textbook compared to Lipnitskaya's clear inside edge. Her landing was also clean, and she had nice steps going in and more transitions right after it. I'm not calling for +3s, but I'm confident that the same jump would have gotten a GOE of about +1.50 if her name had ended with -aya and if Germany wasn't known by then not to make the final anyway.
Again, compare this to Lipnitskaya's Flutz, I don't see how a 1.40 GOE advantage for Lipnitskaya is defendable objectively. I have to admit I don't count "skating in Russia" and "being European Champion" as objective criteria. :eek::

Zamboni

On the Ice
I'm so proud of Ashley! :clap:

After getting attacked in the media as the devil's spawn for being named to the team I give her a lot of credit for doing a good job!

Way to go Ashley! :yay:

amateur

Final Flight
I thought Ashley's performance quality of this program was quite good and that it came off well.
I don't really bother analyzing the fine details of PCS judging criteria, but by basic impression I feel that PCS-wise it should have been more like:

1. Caro
(gap)
2. Mao
3. Ashley
(gap)
4. Lipnitskaya
5. Osmond

amateur

Final Flight
I thought Ashley's performance quality of this program was quite good and that it came off well.
I don't really bother analyzing the fine details of PCS judging criteria, but by basic impression I feel that PCS-wise it should have been more like:

1. Caro
(gap)
2. Mao
3. Ashley (perhaps not very far off second at all)
(gap)
4. Lipnitskaya
5. Osmond

amc987

On the Ice
Just watched the team event on NBCSN and I agree with a lot of posters that Julia's score was too high for what she did. Her speed isn't great and neither are her skating skills as compared to Kostner or Asada. I'd have her around 71, more or less tied with Kostner. Obviously Julia should get higher technical marks because her program is more difficult and her spins are impressive, but Carolina should make up that difference in components. And I'm sorry, drawing hearts on the ice is juvenile. It's not artistic. It's the same way that, while it may be cute, your 5-year-old's finger painting isn't on the wall at the Louvre.

Additionally, I thought Wagner's score was a bit low for what she did. Her presentation was really good and so were her 3F and 3Lo. It's a shame that she two-footed/ slightly UR'd the 3T in her combo, but it was still much better than her Nationals SP. I think her PCS may have taken a hit because she isn't the US #1 anymore. If she placed lower than Asada when Asada had a 3A> with a fall, I don't think Ashley is as legitimate a medal threat as some say. I thought Asada's score was correct but her placement was wrong- she should've been 4th not 3rd.

Kostner was exquisite. I hope she continues to skate like this in the free program and in the individual competition. If so, she should be on the podium.

SXTN

Final Flight
I'm so proud of Ashley! :clap:

After getting attacked in the media as the devil's spawn for being named to the team I give her a lot of credit for doing a good job!

Way to go Ashley! :yay:

I agree.

Her performance totally draw me in. Was shocked about her PCS. And even more shocked when the kid after her got 2 points more...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The forum didn't work for the whole afternoon here :bang:
I'm so so happy for Carolina!!! :love: She was a bit overscored (especially the GOEs for the combo and the spins), but there is room for improvement (especially in the step sequence), so I hope everything will be perfect for the individual competition!
As expected, Lipnitskaya was incredibly overscored, and for me she didn't even deserve first place today: a clear flutz not well landed +1.40? A flip barely saved +0.70? 8.43 for intepretation? 8.43 for SS? But she's the European champion and she's skating in her home country, so I guess that it's all right... :rolleye:
I was so heartbroken for Mao: landing all those clean axels in practice and then missing it so badly in competition for the first time this season at the olympics :( she was also lucky that she didn't receive the < for the 2Lo, which was actually UR...

Nater

Match Penalty
Melon brought up the protocols, and you refused to look at them.

Some of you Julia fans are just whack. You don't even care that her skating isn't as good as the others, either because she's Russian or because you think she's a cute little girl you want her to win no matter what.
I quote how much she outscored Kostner on elements, because I just drummed the numbers out of thin air instead of looking at the protocols to do the elementary math to see that?

Like I said, get over yourself.

Lastly, I'm over being called a fan one skater by crazy posters on this forum simply because they disagree with what I've posted. "Whack," seriously? I was a Gold fan after Nationals and now all of a sudden I have swung to the side of Mother Russia? Lol. Seriously, get a grip.

No, I'm not going to argue your opinion, when you refuse to view things objectively. Nothing comes of that, and it's not worth the hours of time I'd have to waste on this slow as hell forum that can't handle a decent amount of traffic. It takes 5 minutes just for the reply or edit page to show up after the button is pressed. I'm not into that.

Icey

Record Breaker
I took a quick look at the protocols. No edge calls. Have they decided not to call them.

Nater

Match Penalty
Their PCS dropped from a personal best this year of 67.14 points to 64.85. S/K had a visible error and yet their PCS was a personal best.

Even if MT/M didn't have the salchow error the numbers show they still would have lost with the lower PCS. Maybe S/K deserved the win but certainly not by 5 points.

I'm disconnected from how the "visible error" in S/K's skate had anything to do with their PCS. She chucked on a single toe and finished the 3 jump combo, and then went on with the program. The "visible" error was in the middle of a technical element that has nothing to do with the PCS of the program, it was clearly a technical deduction (downgraded middle jump and GOE deduction). It should not have had any impact on their PCS. They sold their program more than anyone else except maybe MT/M, but their elements were a lot better than the Canadians and their program was a lot more intricate and difficult form a skating perspective.

Their throws were also super clean, at least from watching them in real time (I have not gone back to rewatch any of it, yet).

S/K were clearly the class of the field in the Pairs FS. I didn't even get nervous watching them. They were rock solid. Not only were they the best pair technically, but they had the best performance. I don't see an issue with their buffer over MT/M. They are, IMO, that much better than that pair. I think they are Bronze medal threats.

elif

Medalist
Additionally, I thought Wagner's score was a bit low for what she did. Her presentation was really good and so were her 3F and 3Lo. It's a shame that she two-footed/ slightly UR'd the 3T in her combo, but it was still much better than her Nationals SP. I think her PCS may have taken a hit because she isn't the US #1 anymore.

Her PCS is consistently dropping from Skate America (Home event)

SA 33.05
TEB 32.22
GPF 31.75

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I agree.

Her performance totally draw me in. Was shocked about her PCS. And even more shocked when the kid after her got 2 points more...

That "kid's" performance drew me in more than any other skater. Carolina might have more grace, and you might like Ashley's skating better but so what? None of these things belong on the scorecard. Just the international judges marks.

Nater

Match Penalty
That "kid's" performance drew me in more than any other skater. Carolina might have more grace, and you might like Ashley's skating better but so what? None of these things belong on the scorecard. Just the international judges marks.

They don't understand this. Let them cry about it. They'll get over it sooner or later, hopefully (for the sake of their own emotional health).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
of course Julia has no shot in individuals ;)
the glorious Osmond will score 70+ :laugh:

Huh? Why is Osmond even being mentioned - did I miss something here? Oh never mind. if I didn't know better I would think skyfly didn't like Canadians for some reason. I was impressed by Julia - her speed and inbetweens. Very exciting. The scores aren't nearly as high as in the past olympics. Mao I think was lucky they didn't put her in fourth or fifth.