Russian (Supposed) inflations and their Olympic consequences | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian (Supposed) inflations and their Olympic consequences

Becki

Medalist
Let nor forget V & T individual free skate where she OBVIOUSLY puts her hand down on the second throw and gets POSITIVE GOE!!! ***

Yeah that was screwed up. It's so obvious too. They would've won w/o rigging the scores...

figuristka

Medalist
Question: Are judges paid anything for judging events? What about travel etc? I know they never used to be but what about now. I think if they are paid as in a career they would be less likely to accept bribes or be willing to risk suspension.

Carole Lane suggested there be 2 different panels for TES and PCS. Sounds like a good idea. perhaps could help to lessen coruption and mistakes for the judges who have too much to mark in other area's.They cannot just sit back and enjoy the performance as we do. In PCS i don't think the more artistic skaters such as Carolina, Yuna and V/M were rewarded in PCS enough. Its very hard for me to accept Adelina getting a higher skating skills mark than Carolina, and the same mark in PE than Yuna and Carolina who are more advanced. Iam glad Patrick at least won all PCS which is right.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
V&T could have fallen three times and still beaten a clean S&S with a throw triple axel. I said that before the pairs final even began, and the protocals prove it. As it was V&T clearly deserved to win but their win was bought before hand just like Sotnikova's and the other Russians were. As it was S&S were gifted the bronze after 2 falls of their own, but the reality they couldnt have won even perfect with a clean throw triple axel, even with V&T missing both throws, and even if they had made bigger errors, shows what a fix the whole Olympic figure skating was.

D/W could have also fallen & still won.
They have received inflated scores all season. Even at the GPF were they made errors.
I'm not a V/M uber before you say something.
The Ice Dance gold was a done-deal before they took to the ice.
Yet very few think it was a "Bought Gold Medal".
Double standards.

yuki

Final Flight
D/W could have also fallen & still won.
They have received inflated scores all season. Even at the GPF were they made errors.
I'm not a V/M uber before you say something.
The Ice Dance gold was a done-deal before they took to the ice.
Yet very few think it was a "Bought Gold Medal".
Double standards.

The main difference is that D/W had received scores in that ballpark many times before. Adelina hadn't and there is nothing in her performances here (both SP and FS) that justifies the sudden jump in her scores. She has skated clean SP and clean-ish LPs this season and has never received that kind of GOE and PCS, which is bound to make at least some people suspicious.

I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not necessarily Adelina's win that bothers me, but the blatant way in which the judges inflated her scores. They could have at least been subtle about it, but they went all out. If judges are going to use PCS as mere placeholders and score them by pulling numbers out of a hat instead of actually rewarding what happens on the ice, then why even have them? What's the point?

If Adelina (and for that matter, Yulia) had been scored fairly and she still won, I would have been happy for her. I was glad to see her put together those two programs under what must have been enormous pressure and a podium finish would have been well deserved. As a fan, I find it sad that a night of such wonderful skating had to be tarnished by incomprehensible judging. This could and should have been avoided.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
The main difference is that D/W had received scores in that ballpark many times before. Adelina hadn't and there is nothing in her performances here (both SP and FS) that justifies the sudden jump in her scores. She has skated clean SP and clean-ish LPs this season and has never received that kind of GOE and PCS, which is bound to make at least some people suspicious.

I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not necessarily Adelina's win that bothers me, but the blatant way in which the judges inflated her scores. They could have at least been subtle about it, but they went all out. If judges are going to use PCS as mere placeholders and score them by pulling numbers out of a hat instead of actually rewarding what happens on the ice, then why even have them? What's the point?

If Adelina (and for that matter, Yulia) had been scored fairly and she still won, I would have been happy for her. I was glad to see her put together those two programs under what must have been enormous pressure and a podium finish would have been well deserved. As a fan, I find it sad that a night of such wonderful skating had to be tarnished by incomprehensible judging. This could and should have been avoided.
But Adelina DID skate better here than all season.
She made errors in the Grand Prix events & GPF & even at the Europeans.
It happens. It's not such an "Out there" thing to do your best at the Olympics.
But people just want to rip her win apart.

yuki

Final Flight

Well, so did Mao here in the FS, and with harder technical content than anyone else. Where's her big PCS boost? :slink:
(No, her skating in the second group is not argument enough to have her PCS lower than Yulia's and much lower than Adelina's, given their respective performances).

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Well, so did Mao here in the FS, and with harder technical content than anyone else. Where's her big PCS boost? :slink:
(No, her skating in the second group is not argument enough to have her PCS lower than Yulia's and much lower than Adelina's, given their respective performances).
So two wrongs......................................

sk8in

Match Penalty
She should not have a component score in line with Costner Mao or Yuna PERIOD. There is no precedent for it in her competitions, and her skating skills are NOT nearly as elegant as those other skaters. Even Polina Edmunds had a more mature looking program than Adelina. Either count the component score or take it out of the system.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Adelina had a great FS at Bompard, Her score allowed her to be competitive with The likes of Wagner
That's 3 months ago.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
skaters PCS rise on building momentum throughout the season
that is a fact

Where did she build 15-20 points worth of reputation in 3 months ? the GPF maybe ? :laugh:

I'd love anyone to find another example of this kind of inflation in that kind of time between 2 good programs
(I\K not a good example ;) )

SashaSpin

Spectator
Hello, I joined recently out of frustration from the short program. (Russia's inflation + Mao's performance = :cry: )

I told all my friends after the SP judging that Adelina would win gold EVEN if both Carolina and Yuna skated clean. No one believed me, but I sensed a storm brewing when I looked at the score sheet. I'm sure some of you did, too. Lo and behold, we have Russian gold.

For me, what made the inflation glaringly obvious (besides the ridiculous PCS of the Russians during the short program) was after comparing Adelina's FS scores with not only Yuna's, but with Carolina's and Mao's. How did she trump all top three skaters' clean performances in the categories they're most famous for. Adelina beat Carolina in component scores? Really? She even received higher marks overall for her jumps than Mao. (Oh, and I found it hilarious that Yulia reached the elusive 200 mark with two falls. Ha.)

Here are two articles I believe sum up everything about the Yuna vs. Adelina controversy thus far.

Inflation/Deflation:
http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014...-figure-skating-gold-medal-was-rigged/358344/

Home-cooking:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-olympics-adelina-sotnikova-yuna-kim/5680717/

When someone asks you to prove evidence of inflation and home-cooking, these two articles explain it pretty well even for casual fans.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Well, what do you guys think of Hanyu's FS (with 1 fall) PCS rise from 81+ at TEB to 92+ at GPF to beat Patrick Chan, with less than 3 weeks between BOTH competitions, hmm? Where's the hue and cry? Where are the petitions to ISU?

Waiting for an answer!

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Well, what do you guys think of Hanyu's FS (with 1 fall) PCS rise from 81+ at TEB to 92+ at GPF to beat Patrick Chan, with less than 3 weeks between BOTH competitions, hmm? Where's the hue and cry? Where are the petitions to ISU?

Waiting for an answer!

Here's my reply: I don't agree with either Sotnikova's or Hanyu's PCS boost.