Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Russian (Supposed) inflations and their Olympic consequences

Custom Title
    Julia should get no +GOE on her flutz combo- not just for the flutz, but the first jump is massively prerotated (looked quite ur'ed to me), and she visibly muscles herself to get off the 3toe. Nor pretty at all. Like other posters have said, Yuna's and Gracies combo are literally 2-3 times bigger in scale, with no edge problem. And her PCS smells like home cooking for sure.
    As for the consequences, if the scoring is so funny that you could smell the stink through your computer screen, then it might extend all the way up to 2018 Pyeongchang. I mean, Russia is not the only country that can play this game. Does Russia want a repeat of Vancouver? It might have the best skaters by that time, but will Korea care if any of them get the gold, or even podium? They will not forget if Yuna gets shafted in her last skating event, and they probably won't give a damn if there's a scandal that exceeds even Roy Jones in 1988, if it means getting even.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    -Plushenko having a good clean skate, with high 8's for PCS placing him over Chan of Canada with a flawed skate, Which wouldn't of happened with a couple less points for said PCS.
    LOL. Plushenko's been getting funny PCS for years at this point. By "all 8s," I assume that you mean that his total averaged PCS score? I suggest you look at all of the judges' scores for PCS: they range from 6s to 9s. But this isn't a new phenomenon, like I said, it's been happening for years. I think judges just don't know how to give him PCS, period.

So I don't necessarily think that Plushenko's scores are "reflective" of a judging scandal. It's more like a "Plushenko-is-a-legend-but-he's-not-in-the-form-he-used-to-be-in" inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I think though if Kostner were to go clean and Julia/Adelina were to go clean, she'd deserve to beat them.
    Definitely. Carolina should be able to easily beat Julia if they were both to go perfectly clean. I'd even wager Akiko from the National should've been able to beat Julia. Given how things stood this season alone, a clean Gold should have at least a chance (and a very good one at that) to go against Julia, toe to toe, but not from the scores they got from the team game just now.

Oh lord. I can't even imagine how the Koreans would react if they actually shaft Yuna's score in obvious ways somehow and impede her chance of winning her second gold. Can you imagine what would happen if they both go clean and Julia wins by a tiny margin granted by higher PCS scores? What if they clearly and obviously shaft both Yuna and Mao? Both Yuna and Mao fans will unite (that will be a sight to see, actually) for a take down. That will break the Internet.

Custom Title
    OMG the figure skating scandal that broke the internet for sure --- oh pretty please let it happen hahahahahaha And I agree with you vegarin on all counts!

Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Definitely. Carolina should be able to easily beat Julia if they were both to go perfectly clean. I'd even wager Akiko from the National should've been able to beat Julia. Given how things stood this season alone, a clean Gold should have at least a chance (and a very good one at that) to go against Julia, toe to toe, but not from the scores they got from the team game just now.

Oh lord. I can't even imagine how the Koreans would react if they actually shaft Yuna's score in obvious ways somehow and impede her chance of winning her second gold. Can you imagine what would happen if they both go clean and Julia wins by a tiny margin granted by higher PCS scores? What if they clearly and obviously shaft both Yuna and Mao? Both Yuna and Mao fans will unite (that will be a sight to see, actually) for a take down. That will break the Internet.

Custom Title
    Koreans are already outraged at lipnitskaia's high score. They think she's a great spinner for sure- but those jumps, even they know she had the wrong edge. she was at the top of the search engines for quite a while. as were gracie gold and kaetlyn osmond, interestingly enough. It's crazy, there's even articles on how julia allegedly said in her post lp interview that no one does a lutz properly anymore(did she really say that?? I've been hearing this a lot). I don't think even korea's internet will handle the chaos that will ensue if a clean yuna does not win.

Custard Title
    It's already starting to happen. Look at all the Yuna and Mao fans already laying into Julia with all they've got.

It's already starting to happen. Look at all the Yuna and Mao fans already laying into Julia with all they've got.
    I'm a big Yuna fan myself, and I do see it happening -- it's like, I'd rather see Mao win, or Yuna win, rather than this baby who's suddenly getting massive GOEs! Losing to Mao/Yuna is acceptable, but only just! Thanks, Julia (Russia?), for uniting these fans. I never thought I'd see the day.

But honestly, I do share these feelings now, after perusing all the threads and reading interviews and studying the protocols. I'm miffed, and not just because I'd rather see Yuna or Mao to win. I still can't believe Julia won over Carolina who's gone almost perfectly. Telling me that Julia is better than Carolina when I can tell you that just ain't true. That, to me, is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolR View Post
    I have been lurking around since discovering this sight about a year ago. Been a long time skating fan and the parent of a former world level synchronized skater on Canada's premier team. (some of you may recognize the name Nexxice if you follow synchro at all). I definitely do not have the technical expertise that some wonderful members here have and share with us all. It is appreciated and I've learned so much. Whats not appreciated is this type of immature post full of unnecessary vitriol aimed mainly at anyone and anything Canadian. I am Canadian but appreciate skaters from any country. While D&R are not my favourite nobody has the right to make disparaging remarks about someone's physical build. They have obviously worked very hard as all skaters that make it to the Olympics. I'm all for constructive mature criticism but these constant ridiculous comments are simply outrageous which I suspect this member enjoys.

FYI, about your scrutinez joke
    Plushenko SP he only got didnt got all 8 in component yet still would have him enough to beat Chan's mess of a SP
    Carolina ha never beaten Julia in a SP this season, as clean skates continue the PCS will rise, that is a fact
    and lol, D/R innovation ? it has nothing to do with PCS !!!

also to remind you, D/R have terrible skating skills, atrocious form, Duhamel is build like a truck driver thus her lines in the air are ugly
    they deserve PCS in 6 and 7, thats a joke if you compare them to V/T
    [/QUOTE]

I agree with you Carol. I haven't been at Golden Skate in a few years, prior to the Olympic run-up, and I'm saddened and surprised by the personal attacks on each other & the skaters. Not how it used to be.

And, yes, I know Nexxice & have some fb friends who skated on it

Custom Title
    I don't really want to get involved in yet another ridiculous fight on this board - but wanted to just say I don't feel Osmond is Russia's main competition!!!

Banned
    But honestly, I do share these feelings now, after perusing all the threads and reading interviews and studying the protocols. I'm miffed, and not just because I'd rather see Yuna or Mao to win. I still can't believe Julia won over Carolina who's gone almost perfectly. Telling me that Julia is better than Carolina when I can tell you that just ain't true. That, to me, is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    I haven't been at Golden Skate in a few years, prior to the Olympic run-up, and I'm saddened and surprised by the personal attacks on each other & the skaters.
    Nobody is attacking skaters. Only attacking the corrupt and obviously fixed judging. If Julia were receiving scores even in the ballpark of what she truly deserves (I'm sure nobody would quibble over a point or two) then I'd be one of the first ones to compliment her on what she does well. The problem is that her scores are not even subject to reality. They defy all explanation.

Then to uncover the cheating, all you have to do is look at the protocols, which many of us have been doing.

She does not deserve a single +2 on a jump. Never. Her 3Lz+3T received all +2 GOE from every judge. Some of the judges gave Yuna +2 at Worlds last year for same jump.
    Look at those two jumps side-by-side and unless someone is blind there's not just a difference, but a large degree of difference.

+2 on 2A from four judges, that even Julia fans would admit this is one of her biggest weaknesses she needs to work on (it's a horrible jump).

+2 on many other jumps.

Russian judge gave her Level 4 +3 perfect score for her final spin that had a serious error (traveled to the moon).

Components scores way overscored. She's consistently had one score earlier in the year, and then in the last 2 months she's all of a sudden almost 10 points higher.
    Her SS are weak. Her IN is weak. Transitions are good. Otherwise she's overscored by 1-2 points in every single category.

I don't really want to get involved in yet another ridiculous fight on this board - but wanted to just say I don't feel Osmond is Russia's main competition!!!
    At the last Worlds, Osmond ranked higher than two major Russian threats at the time, Adelina, Eliza and Alena. In fact, all the American youngsters ranked higher than the Russian youngsters, and pretty much all the youngsters from America and Russia (plus, Zijun, who did really well in FS) were considered in the same group of breakout talents who will become a major threat once the Top Three (Yuna, Mao, and Carolina) retire after this season (Carolina has not said so, but she probably wouldn't be staying much longer). It was something of a bet among the fans who among these talents would rise up to be the next "top" girl, because it seemed as if toppling the big three completely seemed impossible to do in 2014, and Yuna in particular looked unbeatable. And in this, Osmond was often compared to the new Russian skaters as well as American skaters.

Julia is obviously a factor that hasn't been considered last year, or even early this year, but Canada and Russia were both full of great medal contenders for the team medal, going toe to toe, and Osmond is the only female Canadian skater who can possibly medal, so yeah, Osmond and some of the Russian skaters were compared next to each other.

Custard Title
    I'm a big Yuna fan myself, and I do see it happening -- it's like, I'd rather see Mao win, or Yuna win, rather than this baby who's suddenly getting massive GOEs! Losing to Mao/Yuna is acceptable, but only just! Thanks, Julia (Russia?), for uniting these fans. I never thought I'd see the day.

I prefer Mao to Yuna but I was always fine with Yuna winning the OGM (and Carolina and Suzuki would be my 3rd/4th preference to win it). I still don't think Yuna is in particular danger of losing to Julia even with 1 error. Her Worlds 2013 LP GOE and PCS I did find inflated, but compared to Julia, it looks tame, conservative, even stingy ( never thought I'd see the day that I said this). I would hope that the judges watching those two side by side could tell that clean Yuna >>>> clean Julia in terms of GOE and PCS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Can't we all just be friends. And I agree with no skates on many fronts. But really we are taking things too personal = really if someoen outside read these posts one would wonder almost if any or at leas a lot of us could hold down any job as we sound a bit psycho lol.

Custom Title
    The Russian bonus was particularly in evidence with Plushy's so-so LP, which was massively overscored. The Men's comp was not the greatest, but Machida at least should have beated him. I hope this does not keep up.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Can you imagine what would happen if they both go clean and Julia wins by a tiny margin granted by higher PCS scores? What if they clearly and obviously shaft both Yuna and Mao? Both Yuna and Mao fans will unite (that will be a sight to see, actually) for a take down. That will break the Internet.
    I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
    Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

ISU - yeah, well, what are you gonna do about it?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast