Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 153

Thread: Russian (Supposed) inflations and their Olympic consequences

  1. #76
    it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC; Tokyo
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by chiocciola View Post
    VT will win if they don't make major mistakes. What's wrong with that? BS or IK will get the bronze if they are 100% clean. Julia and Adelina will medal if they're clean, can win if Mao and Yu-Na make mistakes.

    What's wrong with that?
    Haha oh the irony in this post just made my day. I just sprayed orange juice through my nose.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by chiocciola View Post
    Salt Lake City

    Gold for Hughes??? 5,6 for Slutskaya's artistry))) Scandalous second gold for Canadians...

    Vancouver

    Scandalous scores for Chan, Dube/Davidson, bronze for Rochette... Gold for safe Evan with no quad?

    It happens every time.

    What you guys are saying is double standards. You're ok with winnings of those who are immature, young but North Americans (Lipinski, Hughes, Gold) or mature but not good enough in TES as long as they're North Americans (Evan, Rochette...).

    All the underrotations and falls will not be counted for Russians and will be for others. Face it! Nobody's going to rob those who truly deserve it. If they don't fall. Men: Hanyu or Chan, Women: Mao or Yu-Na. Pairs: VT or SS. Ice dance: VM or DW.

    VT will win if they don't make major mistakes. What's wrong with that? BS or IK will get the bronze if they are 100% clean. Julia and Adelina will medal if they're clean, can win if Mao and Yu-Na make mistakes.

    What's wrong with that?
    Don't even get me started with Rochette's over-inflated scores in Vancouver. Mirai was the clear bronze winner that night but the judges were not going to allow an American to beat Rochette.

  3. #78
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    Don't even get me started with Rochette's over-inflated scores in Vancouver. Mirai was the clear bronze winner that night but the judges were not going to allow an American to beat Rochette.
    EXACTLY. Rochette got the sympathetic vote due to the passing of her mother. It was incredible that Rochette could even skate with that on her shoulders, but still Marai CLEARLY outskated her that night and more than enough to get the bronze. It just made a better story/happy ending to give it to Rochette.

  4. #79
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    What I'm afraid of is the trend of super hyper inflation will continue for other host, So Yon Park and Hajin might be podium contender in 2018.
    Don't worry - this inflated judging, while not unique to this particular competition, is primarily restricted to certain well-known, powerful skating federations such as, ahem, the host country of this Olympics, who are fixated on getting gold for their skaters no matter what. The South Korean figure skating federation is not powerful. Don't think you need to worry about the South Korean skaters in 2018. Could it happen in future competitions outside Russia? Possibly. But probably not at Worlds in Japan next month. After all, the objective was achieved -- Gold in team, Gold in Ladies. (Please note that I am not anti-Russian skaters. Pairs Gold was certainly deserved. Ladies bronze would have been appropriate as well, behind Kim & Kostner.)

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    129
    Putin will compete and Putin will judge

    http://web.stagram.com/p/661123252234339087_104877927

  6. #81
    Custom Title figuristka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Finland & Canada
    Posts
    1,366
    Another interesting photo i found on Kiira's page, but your can imagine the girl on the ice not russian but Korean http://instagram.com/p/kCEoHmkAXg/

  7. #82
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12
    http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/hear...-gold-22609371

    Is a skater allowed to change hands when they do spiral? It certainly shows that she's not a polished skater. I was wondering why she had to wear those gloves all the time. They didn't look part of the costumes to me.

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    Let nor forget V & T individual free skate where she OBVIOUSLY puts her hand down on the second throw and gets POSITIVE GOE!!! ***
    Yeah that was screwed up. It's so obvious too. They would've won w/o rigging the scores...

  9. #84
    Custom Title figuristka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Finland & Canada
    Posts
    1,366
    Question: Are judges paid anything for judging events? What about travel etc? I know they never used to be but what about now. I think if they are paid as in a career they would be less likely to accept bribes or be willing to risk suspension.

    Carole Lane suggested there be 2 different panels for TES and PCS. Sounds like a good idea. perhaps could help to lessen coruption and mistakes for the judges who have too much to mark in other area's.They cannot just sit back and enjoy the performance as we do. In PCS i don't think the more artistic skaters such as Carolina, Yuna and V/M were rewarded in PCS enough. Its very hard for me to accept Adelina getting a higher skating skills mark than Carolina, and the same mark in PE than Yuna and Carolina who are more advanced. Iam glad Patrick at least won all PCS which is right.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    V&T could have fallen three times and still beaten a clean S&S with a throw triple axel. I said that before the pairs final even began, and the protocals prove it. As it was V&T clearly deserved to win but their win was bought before hand just like Sotnikova's and the other Russians were. As it was S&S were gifted the bronze after 2 falls of their own, but the reality they couldnt have won even perfect with a clean throw triple axel, even with V&T missing both throws, and even if they had made bigger errors, shows what a fix the whole Olympic figure skating was.
    D/W could have also fallen & still won.
    They have received inflated scores all season. Even at the GPF were they made errors.
    I'm not a V/M uber before you say something.
    The Ice Dance gold was a done-deal before they took to the ice.
    Yet very few think it was a "Bought Gold Medal".
    Double standards.

  11. #86
    Custom Title yuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    D/W could have also fallen & still won.
    They have received inflated scores all season. Even at the GPF were they made errors.
    I'm not a V/M uber before you say something.
    The Ice Dance gold was a done-deal before they took to the ice.
    Yet very few think it was a "Bought Gold Medal".
    Double standards.
    The main difference is that D/W had received scores in that ballpark many times before. Adelina hadn't and there is nothing in her performances here (both SP and FS) that justifies the sudden jump in her scores. She has skated clean SP and clean-ish LPs this season and has never received that kind of GOE and PCS, which is bound to make at least some people suspicious.

    I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not necessarily Adelina's win that bothers me, but the blatant way in which the judges inflated her scores. They could have at least been subtle about it, but they went all out. If judges are going to use PCS as mere placeholders and score them by pulling numbers out of a hat instead of actually rewarding what happens on the ice, then why even have them? What's the point?

    If Adelina (and for that matter, Yulia) had been scored fairly and she still won, I would have been happy for her. I was glad to see her put together those two programs under what must have been enormous pressure and a podium finish would have been well deserved. As a fan, I find it sad that a night of such wonderful skating had to be tarnished by incomprehensible judging. This could and should have been avoided.

  12. #87
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    The main difference is that D/W had received scores in that ballpark many times before. Adelina hadn't and there is nothing in her performances here (both SP and FS) that justifies the sudden jump in her scores. She has skated clean SP and clean-ish LPs this season and has never received that kind of GOE and PCS, which is bound to make at least some people suspicious.

    I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not necessarily Adelina's win that bothers me, but the blatant way in which the judges inflated her scores. They could have at least been subtle about it, but they went all out. If judges are going to use PCS as mere placeholders and score them by pulling numbers out of a hat instead of actually rewarding what happens on the ice, then why even have them? What's the point?

    If Adelina (and for that matter, Yulia) had been scored fairly and she still won, I would have been happy for her. I was glad to see her put together those two programs under what must have been enormous pressure and a podium finish would have been well deserved. As a fan, I find it sad that a night of such wonderful skating had to be tarnished by incomprehensible judging. This could and should have been avoided.
    But Adelina DID skate better here than all season.
    She made errors in the Grand Prix events & GPF & even at the Europeans.
    It happens. It's not such an "Out there" thing to do your best at the Olympics.
    But people just want to rip her win apart.

  13. #88
    Custom Title yuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    But Adelina DID skate better here than all season.
    She made errors in the Grand Prix events & GPF & even at the Europeans.
    It happens. It's not such an "Out there" thing to do your best at the Olympics.
    But people just want to rip her win apart.
    Well, so did Mao here in the FS, and with harder technical content than anyone else. Where's her big PCS boost?
    (No, her skating in the second group is not argument enough to have her PCS lower than Yulia's and much lower than Adelina's, given their respective performances).

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    Well, so did Mao here in the FS, and with harder technical content than anyone else. Where's her big PCS boost?
    (No, her skating in the second group is not argument enough to have her PCS lower than Yulia's and much lower than Adelina's, given their respective performances).
    So two wrongs......................................

  15. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    But Adelina DID skate better here than all season.
    She made errors in the Grand Prix events & GPF & even at the Europeans.
    It happens. It's not such an "Out there" thing to do your best at the Olympics.
    But people just want to rip her win apart.
    She should not have a component score in line with Costner Mao or Yuna PERIOD. There is no precedent for it in her competitions, and her skating skills are NOT nearly as elegant as those other skaters. Even Polina Edmunds had a more mature looking program than Adelina. Either count the component score or take it out of the system.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •